1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pyramids can be built only on desert tiles

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Krajzen, May 12, 2016.

1. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

It depends on the rest of the game. Requirement to build wonders on specific tile reduces the amount of wonders you could build in one city, so harder requirements could be justified. We need to wait for more info and see.

2. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Sure, and we don't know how many or few wonders will be restricted in Civ6 either. But speaking of BNW there already is a sizable minority of wonders either locked away based on terrain or hidden behind policy trees and ideology trees. So this isn't world changing to me and is kind of expected given what is happening to the rest of the game With the focus on Civ6 being varied starting strats, varied teching strats highly dependent on terrain and location of your start, it makes sense to lock a few more wonders to that.

3. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Chieftain

Part of the mystery of Stonehenge is that at least some of the stones were probably transported from as far away as southern Wales. Why should you have to build it 'near stone'?

4. Captain Fargle

Captain Fargle Chieftain

It might not necessarily require it be in the same city. Could be a "You have to have this resource in a city that's connected to the one you're building Stonehenge in." Like how they did it with the resource bonuses for certain wonders in Civ 4.

So you can go ahead and build Stonehenge in London as long as you have a city connection via road or harbour to Cardiff where you have the quarry.

5. Denkt

Denkt Reader

It is a interesting change. This change mean you have to look for certain terrain if you want to build a wonder such as pyramids which encourage you to found cities near the needed terrain. It is also interesting that your wonders may need the best spots for potential districts.

6. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

this. it seems to add both to the eXpand and eXplore side. Want a specific wonder? you have to go find the right places and take it. Really want that wonder, but you need the district? make a choice!

7. cairnsy44

cairnsy44 Gooner - first class

I think you nailed it. Dang, is it October yet?

8. Japper007

Japper007 Chieftain

Challenge accepted! :D The Great Pyramids are build from sandstone, a sedimentary stone which requires well... sand to form. This would mean you'd have to have at least some desert hills to build it. The quarries in this game seem to be mining (quarrying?) basalt/granite and in some cases marble from the look of the stones.

As to stonehenge yea that's pretty stupid. Though I do think your civ should have a quarry somewhere in it to build it.

9. Draco84

Draco84 Chieftain

I wonder ponder if you will be able to demolish wonders? Stonehendge may be nice at the start of the game, but I may need more food come 1000AD.

10. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Maybe Stonehenge will give you food, maybe your people become lithovores;)

Well more seriously the benefit of the wonder should in all case outweight the loss of a simple tile improvement.

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I don't mind it as long as it's balanced well enough and as long as not all wonders are restricted like this.

12. Draco84

Draco84 Chieftain

What about one use wonders, or free units and nothing much else.

Stonehendge gives what 5 faith, I'd rather 4 food to 5 faith most of the time (ignoring the culture) after religion was founded.

13. Denkt

Denkt Reader

I doubt that they will include one use wonders with this system, all wonders will likely give some sort of lasting benefit.

14. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Yeah, you might still see wonders give a free tech or prophet, but they'll also presumably give some base science or faith as well.

Another interesting question - I wonder how pillaging wonders will work. Maybe they'll have some wonders than when pillaged their bonus would go away, but then later on would provide culture (archeological ruins)?

15. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Even something like the Oracle who tend to give a instant bonus may also have a long term effect such as making religious districts next to it stronger.

16. Captain Fargle

Captain Fargle Chieftain

You know, thinking about it, maybe the Desert requirement for the Pyramids is because they give a bonus to Flood Plains in CiVI? Would make a hell of a lot of historical and thematic sense.

17. m15a

m15a Chieftain

Stonehenge is near southern Wales by Civ standards, especially if you're judging by a typical Civ 5 continents scale map.

And if all else fails, eXterminate, of course!

18. Iberian

Iberian Chieftain

What about the 3rd one?

19. Haphaz

Haphaz Chieftain

Restricting wonders to policy constraints made relatively little historic sense either, but helped make the policy choices a bit starker. I'm fine with more wonders being Petra-like.

20. Mobfire

Mobfire Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool

But the city they're built in in the screenshot doesn't have any floodplains. In fact, it only has one single desert tile (which is quite odd). My best guess is that it adds a good yield to the tile it's built on instead of boosting the yields of all tiles of a certain kind.