QSC-C2e - Hannabaline & the 300 Spartans - Emperor

Just for the record, my game finished with Domination in 1340 AD and 5841 points.

The slow tech pace was maintianed as no one, including me made it out of the Middle Ages. I was the closest, as I was researching the last tech as the game ended. Next came the Chinese wfo were 3 techs behind me.

I knew I should have tried to slow down the tech pace ... I was kinda shocked seeing that China was 2 techs I didn't have (more worrying was that they where replacable parts and industrialisation). Luckily I triggered domination that turn so I didn't have to take Mao out.

Very few comments to the last stat round. Everyone playing the new GOTM or what?

@Meldor, ok so 200 years earlier = ~900 points.
Which way did you go? Did you go over to China, or did you go up the island and over at the grecco-german side?

I'm thinking the first (china) might have actually been the best since my core production facilities where there. If I had just built a port there I think I could have shipped them over faster.

Naturally I went the other way, first I went to the "small" island with 5-6 cities on it and took them out, then I tried to squeeze the greece (and that took some time), then the germans, followed by the greek cities that where almost surronded by the chinese. Then it was sweet domination! :)

How exactly do you slow down the tech pace? OK no research at all on your behalf (just get the bare essentials and then go for gold), or perhaps 10% research for that slow learning process. Declare war on the others so they build troops requiring gold, ie less gold for research. With hold contacts from the enemy if possible. Are there more ways?

I am still playing it out, at 350AD, have the home continent minus 1 hostage persian city. I stopped research after Chivalry. I think I will go for the Germans next, avoiding the Greek Hoplites. Germany plus the small island should be enough for domination, or pretty close.

Flexo: I don't want to speak for Meldor but I think that from his early round he made the choice to follow the AI up the tech ladder rather than go a different path and trade 2:1 deals for tech like the rest of us. Chosing to research IW vs. Math or Writing for example. Trading Tech for Tech gets you much needed techs quicker to move throught the ages faster but also pulls the AI allong quicker allowing pikes and knights that much sooner. By not pulling the AI you can prolong the horse/swords vs. spears period and the Knights/pikes.

From the getgo Meldor was behind in tech by choice and was able to use that to his advantage. I haven't finished the game yet, hope to this week. My game is in the Middle ages and I am fighting Aztecs pikes with knights. I think it is only 30 AD or soo I can't remember exactly.

QSC score may not be a true representation of speed to domination.

Hotrod

@JustusII
Don't know how large Germany is in your game but that starting island was in my game divided by china (about half, greece and germany shared the other half).

I had to take half that island + small island + start island for victory. The only mini island I didn't take was one far into the dark that china had found. Could have been more islands out there in the dark I guess, I never did get a full map.

@Hotrod
Yes, researching what the computer is researching, that is a good one to. Then they don't get that knowledge bonus for others already having the tech. All you have to do is to predict what they will research, or research something you know that they have.

Follwing the AI will also decrease your cost for that tech giving more money for upgrades, rushed projects etc.

Yes. So to add to the points what have I learned from this:

# Trying to rush the tech tree is not always the best way to go.

Could be cause previously I have run mostly peaceful games with little war and heavy on defence. Think it is only in the last 3-4 GOTMs I have been trying to expand my war mongering ways. Max tech research is something that has just hung in there since then I guess.

I did two things that helped slow the tech down. First, I followed them in research staying behind them by not going all out. This allowed me to buy techs at 2nd civ prives pretty cheap and then trade them for the other techs I didn't have that would have been passed around pretty quickly. I therefore made back the money I spent on my "useless" research and kept the tech pace slower. The second thing I did was too pre-build for the GL and then snag it. This allowed me to totally turn off research untilthe Chinese finally sold Education. I then began following them up the tech tree and when I finally attacked them, I went ahead as all of their research came to a stand still.

My conquests went a different direction than I had originally intended, but I changed it once I got a world map and got the complete picture. The first to die were the Americans. The second were the Persians. Both of these civs were taken out using swords, and there weren't any horses running around the landmass. I switched to horsemen to take out the Aztecs as I knew that Knights were just around the corner. The Persians were nice enough to kick off my GA by attacking with an archer right after I had switched to republic. I hand built the FP in Washington, as this gave me a big poost quicker. I had planned on moving the palace slightly north at a later date but didn't get a leader to be able to this until after it didn't matter. IIRC, I only got 3 leaders the whole game and two were used on wonders and one for a knight army. Persia was left with one city in the Iroquois lands and they gave me a city on one of the islands. The Aztecs were left with one city on one of the islands and also gave me a city there.

At the end of the Aztec conquest knights came in. I had more than enough money to upgrade my 20+ knights as I was spending nothing on research. I immediately went after the Iroquois and kicked them of to another city on one of the islands. I also got a city from them down there as well. About the time I had finished off the Aztecs, the Chinese had finished the Germans and started in on the Greeks. I gave the Greeks plenty of support to slow the Chinese down by giving them critical techs and supplying them with free luxes. By the time I had finished off the Iroquois and the last Persian city (they had lost their island city to the Aztecs) I was ready to hit the Chinese. The Chinese had taken their complete island but they had not built up the culture so their were gaps in their lands.

I loaded up Caravels and shipped over all of the knights that had taken out the Iroquois and Persians. I took all new knights and put them in a city to the east with caravels ready to ship them to the other end of China (the developed end). I thought I was going to have to wait for some agreements to expire, but China got nervous with 20+ knights and 5+ Muskets in their midst. After they declared war, I took the nearest city and let the Chinese attack. This did two things. It allowed me to rush a barracks and Harbor, and they pulled all of their troops east to attack me while I waited to upgrade to Cav. Once Cav hit, I upgraded all the knights in the new city. I also upgraded all of the knights waiting to be loaded. My new Cav with the Knight army proceeded to take all of the former lands of Greece and then the units on the caravels landed at the other end. Attacking from both ends finished the Chinese off. Unfortunately, they came sueing for peace and I hit the wrong button when they were down to 4 cities. I then was going to be forced to wait 20 turns to finish them off. (I know I could have reloaded but I hate to do that for any reason, call it a random event). The caravels that were ferrying troops across to China then set sail for the islands. The Iroquois were down to one city, the Aztecs down to 2, and the Greeks held two. The closest was the Iroquois so I proceeded to take their only city. The interturn gave me domination. So, my misclick added about 5 turns to the game geting the troops to that one city. (+/-5 as I wasn't paying attention to border expansions in cities were I was rushing temple and libraries).

So, as a short answer after that, I left the piddle on the islands and hit the Chinese from both ends. Something the AI can't handle.

Originally posted by meldor
Attacking from both ends finished the Chinese off. Unfortunately, they came sueing for peace and I hit the wrong button when they were down to 4 cities. I then was going to be forced to wait 20 turns to finish them off. (I know I could have reloaded but I hate to do that for any reason, call it a random event).

You could have just declared war on them again the very next turn, sure your rep would have taken a hit for the worse but so what. You where so close to victory it wouldn't have mattered.

You don't have to wait for 20t before going to war again. You can break that deal :)

It was very interesting to read you tech delay tactics.

Originally posted by flexo

You could have just declared war on them again the very next turn, sure your rep would have taken a hit for the worse but so what. You where so close to victory it wouldn't have mattered.

You don't have to wait for 20t before going to war again. You can break that deal :)

It was very interesting to read you tech delay tactics.
Sorry, I am in such a habit of not breaking treaties, it just doesn't occur to me unless I am forced to do so because of other more pressing issues. It would soil the game for me. I mostly stick to the RBCiv honorable rules and will venture into the dastardly on occasion.....well OK, maybe more than rarely, but I almost never break a twenty turn peace deal. There are too many ways to get the AI to break them. In this case, it may or may not have cost me some turns, but it just didn't occur to me to do that. I would have probably reloaded before I broke the deal.

Well, it may be a while before I finish this one, my wife's motherboard started giving off smoke last night, I don't think that is a good sign :-( Anyway, now I am relegated to my old 400mhz, plus my saves for the QSC-2e game are still on her hard drive. I was at 350AD, just finished the home continent. Should have the new motherboard in in a couple of days, and hopefully can play it out this weekend.

I am currently playing hard on GOTM17 and Epic 25 as well as struggling to swap 1.14 and 1.21 games as necessary so this may not see my end soon. I still intend on completing the game but just not quite yet.

Hotrod

I am suffering a bit of Carthage burn out : QSC-C2e, Epic 24, Epic 25 and GOTM17 :p :lol:

Same here. I'm not sure there'd be much to be learned from my game, as I had the slowest start, only catching up by a fortuitous leader getting me the Pyramids. I'm going to finish GOTM17 first, as I missed finishing GOTM16 due to illness and endless war fatigue. My GOTM16 eventually turned into 'all war all the time' after my peaceful QSC, and by the time I finally got Cavalry and control of my own continent, I was behind in tech and would have had to keep waging costly wars to get anywhere at all.

There's also MOO3, but I still play more Civ at the moment- I do want to beat Deity eventually. :p

Top Bottom