1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

question about science cost

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by mahabharatha, Jan 3, 2012.

1. mahabharatha

mahabharatha Chieftain

I wanted to know which factors form the cost of technology advancement but was unable to find this information on official manual.
    How much does map size affects it? Does number of cities you found somehow affects it (like with cost of adopting cultural policies)?

2. daviscor

daviscor Prince

I think only game pace affects it... not sure though...

3. vexing

vexing knows

beaker costs for technologies are basically set. they're slightly reduced for each civ you've met that knows a specific tech. founding more cities (getting more beakers) will speed up technology gains.

also they are scaled to game speed, and are slightly reduced on the lowest three difficulties.

4. Brigg

Brigg Warlord

You get a slight discount for every Civ you have met that has that specific tech. I am sure that someone somewhere here has the complete set of rules for this.

5. mahabharatha

mahabharatha Chieftain

maybe i made something wrong trying to get science win before 1000 A.D. placing a lot of cities with univercity on huge map but I was unable to achieve this through few tries. It took just a slightly less time comparing to the cultural play with less cities.

6. vexing

vexing knows

that's not possible unless you rig the settings, eg play on settler difficulty or marathon speed.

7. mahabharatha

mahabharatha Chieftain

vexing, that's not the ultimate goal (though there were ways to make something like that in previous civs)... I just wanted to say that difference between playing with 3 almost perfectly build cities and 12-14 cities with early constructed scientific buildings is not so big. it could be even random difference... so that's why I started the topic.

8. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Yes, Firaxis tried really hard to balance research between large and small empires. After 4 patches they mostly succeeded. ;)

9. Valoc

Valoc Chieftain