Question about the graphics for Gaul / Byzantine

didn't the team say in the announcement video that they are using special graphics for civs in this DLC? But moth Byzantium and Gaul use preexisting graphics... AGAIN.
did... did devs lie to us? I know it is minor and nothing too game-breaking but I can't help but feel... "dirty" like as if I forgot to wipe after going to the toilet. I feel bit used...

Moderator Action: Please use less aggressive language and be more polite in how you phrase questions --NZ
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the Hippodrome in the Byzantine playthrough, and the Oppidum for the Gauls. I also saw tons of the Gaesatae in the Gaul presentation, and lots of those cavalry guys from Byzantium (the name escapes me at the moment).
Is that what you meant? They used all new units and new districts where they've added new stuff so I don't know what you're really referring to.

I think the leaders still use some re-used animations probably and not all new motion capture. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw the Hippodrome in the Byzantine playthrough, and the Oppidum for the Gauls. I also saw tons of the Gaesatae in the Gaul presentation, and lots of those cavalry guys from Byzantium (the name escapes me at the moment).
Is that what you meant? They used all new units and new districts where they've added new stuff so I don't know what you're really referring to.
no I mean graphics of the leaders Basil and Ambiorix- they all reuse graphics of Ghengis Khan and Shaka respectively. And Devs said that they are "trying out new things" for graphics... but just like with Lady Six sky, simon bolivar and Menilik II they reused old graphics... again.

I think he's referring to leader animations.

If you think each NFP leaders' animations are a carbon copy of existing ones, you're wrong. SOME of each leader's animations are copies. Some are new.

no I mean graphics of the leaders Basil and Ambiorix- they all reuse graphics of Ghengis Khan and Shaka respectively. And Devs said that they are "trying out new things" for graphics... but just like with Lady Six sky, simon bolivar and Menilik II they reused old graphics... again.

As for LSS, Simon and Menelik, they will have unique animations for their uniques events (first met, denouncing, declaration of war, meet/not meet their agenda, declaration of friendship) and reused animations for idle moments.

Never have they said they will be truly unique. They said they were proud of what they have done, and I think we will have to wait to see all unique animations to see if they lied or not.

But don't attack them so quickly. I have the feeling you're quick to jump on the fence, my dear friend.

didn't the team say in the announcement video that they are using special graphics for civs in this DLC? But moth Byzantium and Gaul use preexisting graphics... AGAIN.
did... did devs lie to us? I know it is minor and nothing too game-breaking but I can't help but feel... "dirty" like as if I forgot to wipe after going to the toilet. I feel bit used...

I understand the frustration, but I think you are inferring the wrong thing here. To make an analogy, if I tell you I'm going to make you a pizza with new ingredients, I'm still correct if I use dough, tomato sauce and cheese, as long as I add cornflakes and toilet paper. They never said they would exclusively use new animations, but did use new and old animations. So "We will use new animations" = a promise kept.

So your statement of their lies is false, but like I said before, I understand where you are coming from.

Some animations are new, but they still recycling leaders models, this time wasnt so obivius like bolivar and six sky but still a reuse

the basic skeleton models and some "at rest" animations are carried over, but in all cases of NFP animations, the intro, defeat, positive and negative agendas as well as with declarations of wars are all brand new animations. not to mention the fact that the new leaders are completely new models and newly lip synced. I also suspect that this reuse of models has been done prior to NFP (shaka and montezuma appear to have the same base model design but covered up by the fact that the animations and appearance in general is all different, though that might be just a hunch on my part), designing, modeling and animating is hard work and i think the criticism in most cases that they are simply reused and therefore cheap is misplaced in the most part. it is a shame however that some of the new leaders deal accepting/rejecting animations are a bit too noticeable. it doesn't take away from my appreciation of the art and amount of work that goes into what we have.

But don't attack them so quickly. I have the feeling you're quick to jump on the fence, my dear friend.
I know... I know.. I am not truly angry just.. disturbed to see devs saying one thing and supposedly not delivering it- a similar trick often pulled by politicians. I'd hate to see our civ team going THAT route. Just concerned fan that's all.

Is this... for real?
hey they said on video on new graphics! Is it wrong to expect exactly that? I wouldn't have minded if they never said that in the announcement video.

Can't be bothered at all. Just enjoy playing the game.

In all honesty, most of the time I skip through the animated parts of the leaders after our initial meeting (and I really doubt someone who'll claim they rewatch all the cutscenes again & again in game).
(also this subject does feel a bit like: :deadhorse:)

hey they said on video on new graphics! Is it wrong to expect exactly that? I wouldn't have minded if they never said that in the announcement video.
So I watched the September DLC announcement trailer again.

They said that they were excited to be using motion capture technology for creating some of the new leader animations, and they specifically mentioned that they wanted Ambiorix to have props. They never said or implied the new leaders would only use completely new animations for either or both leaders.

I haven't been that impressed with all of NFP's features or Civs so far but honestly you are just looking for reasons to accuse the developers of lying.

I believe you mean the following:

Grant Chang, Lead Animator, transcript 0:58-1:23:
"We had a lot fun brainstorming animations for Gaul's leader in particular. Thus far for Civilization six we haven't used motion capture technology. We've done everything by hand. But we do start with reference videos to experiment with different movements, and help everyone visualise what the animations would look like. We wanted the leader of Gaul to have some props to really reflect that heritage. [Props at the office would] (I guess he said this, really difficult to hear exactly) make the reference videos a lot more fun, but they can be challenging to animate in a 3D environment. We've pulled it off though. Our art teams are pretty insanely talented."

So, you were saying?

I believe you mean the following:

Grant Chang, Lead Animator, transcript 0:58-1:23:
"We had a lot fun brainstorming animations for Gaul's leader in particular. Thus far for Civilization six we haven't used motion capture technology. We've done everything by hand. But we do start with reference videos to experiment with different movements, and help everyone visualise what the animations would look like. We wanted the leader of Gaul to have some props to really reflect that heritage. [Props at the office would] (I guess he said this, really difficult to hear exactly) make the reference videos a lot more fun, but they can be challenging to animate in a 3D environment. We've pulled it off though. Our art teams are pretty insanely talented."

So, you were saying?
huh, I stand corrected :blush:

if they divert some animation energy away from repetitive leader movements toward more units, wonder movies, etc., I'm okay with that.

I'm not really big on leader animations all in all so I don't care all that much, but I must say that I really wonder what they were thinking in reusing Pedro's animations for Bolivar, especially involving the actual sound from the laugh as well. It makes it so instantly recognizeable.

Top Bottom