Question : Bombers + Air Superiority

Wings_SWmud

Chieftain
Am I right in assuming that bombers (regular ones) are not affected by any fighters on air superiority missions? Babylonians have been bombing the hell out of my roads...only 1 square away from a city with 3 fighters on AS...

No, you're not right ;).

The fighters should have a 50% chance of intercepting those pesky bombers (and a 5% chance of intercepting stealth bombers). However, a bug in the game as first released rendered air superiority non-functional. Don't recall which patch fixed the bug, but is certainly fixed in 1.21f and 1.17f.

If you haven't downloaded the patches, you can do so at www.civ3.com.

Your fighters will only defend if they attack the city itself. The roads are undefended.

Your fighters will only defend if they attack the city itself. The roads are undefended.

Originally posted by benjdm
I don't think that's correct.

IIRC, the manual states that fighters on AS will attempt to intercept anything within their superiority range (half their total range).

And we all know the manual is correct on all points ;) .

But seriously, I have had my jet fighters shoot down bombers which were on "pillage runs" (in fact I'm having trouble remembering a concerted AI airborne attack on a city at all), and I know that AI jet fighters have shot down my bombers on pillage runs.

What seems to be unknown is whether having more units on Air Superiority assignments increases your probability of interception. Is it 50% chance "per bombing run," or is it "per potential interceptor?"

JB

I have personally observed Air Superiority fighters engage and shoot down bombers that have been attacking nearby road squares as well as naval units in nearby coastal and sea squares. The air superiority umbrella does provide some minimal chance of protection to assets located near a city or near an aircraft carrier.

I am still uncertain about how the intercept engagement probability functions.

Considerable experience has so far shown that when you have multiple fighters assigned to air superiority missions you can get multiple interceptions, but it appears that only one fighter attempts to intercept each bomber even if there are 10 or 20 air superiority fighters present in the defense.

My observations are:

1) The interception probability setting effects whether the Air superiority fighter will engage the incoming attacker. If an attacker is incoming and the AS fighter looses the coin toss and does not choose to engage, then the turn is over for the AS fighter and none of the subsequent bombers will be interecpeted by that AS fighter. If you have additional fighter then you have a chance at interception. I cannot say for absolutely certain but it appears that when they loose the interception coin toss and decide not to engage than that takes them out of the process for the rest of the turn.

2) if you have 5 AS fighters in a city, then they only have a chance of intercepting the first five attackers, after the AS fighters are used up by doing nothing or attempting an intercept then the target is naked and you can just bomb away.

3) if you have multiple AS fighters in multiple cities that overlap and then the enemy bombs a target that falls within more than one AS zone, you still will only get one chance at interception. (I believe, so far). I have had this occur with two cities and an aircraft carrier all providing AS fighter cover over contested territory and still have never seen notably improved interception rates.

4) I have never observed an AS engagement after the third or fourth incoming attacker sent over an AI city.

5) bombers sometimes survive interception but stealth bombers never survive in they loose the coin toss and get intercepted.

6) I have never had a recon or rebase mission intercepted, so I think those missions do not trigger the interceptors even when the mission point is very clearly in the expected intercept range.

7) interception success rate is not improved by having the AS fighters based in a city with an airport. I guess they are just as effective when taking off from the median of the local expressway.

8) interception success rate is not improved by the discovery of the technology "Radar" even though you would think that would be the key variable.

9) the probability of interception has nothing to do with the experience level of the interceptor, but this can effect if the attacker is successfully shot down because the hit points can be used up more easily on regular air units compared to their elite counterparts.

10) even when a bomber is not successfully shot down and survives interception, I think the experience must shake up the crew so badly that they forget to to drop their bombs.

11) AS interceptors will not engage attackers that fly through their AS zone and attack targets on the other side. I have verified this by sitting a carrier next to city that I knew had three fighters stationed in it and then used the bombers on the carrier to bomb the crap out connecting rail lines that were outside of the AS zone surrounding the city. Never had a fighter engage the bombers flying by, but when I bombed near the city the fighters then tried an occasional intercept.

Good post cracker. Thanks for all the info.

Originally posted by Catt

I don't think that's correct.

IIRC, the manual states that fighters on AS will attempt to intercept anything within their superiority range (half their total range).

And we all know the manual is correct on all points ;) .

But seriously, I have had my jet fighters shoot down bombers which were on "pillage runs" (in fact I'm having trouble remembering a concerted AI airborne attack on a city at all), and I know that AI jet fighters have shot down my bombers on pillage runs.

THat is correct Catt, I had bombers being shot down by jets that were on a near by air craft carrier.

Originally posted by cracker
I have personally observed Air Superiority fighters engage and shoot down bombers that have been attacking nearby road squares as well as naval units in nearby coastal and sea squares. The air superiority umbrella does provide some minimal chance of protection to assets located near a city or near an aircraft carrier.

I am still uncertain about how the intercept engagement probability functions.

Considerable experience has so far shown that when you have multiple fighters assigned to air superiority missions you can get multiple interceptions, but it appears that only one fighter attempts to intercept each bomber even if there are 10 or 20 air superiority fighters present in the defense.
4) I have never observed an AS engagement after the third or fourth incoming attacker sent over an AI city.

Maybe the Ai just doesn't stack more than 3 or 4 fighter in a city (In fact, it hardly builds them at all!)

5) bombers sometimes survive interception but stealth bombers never survive in they loose the coin toss and get intercepted.

That's easy to explain:bombers have a defense value of 2 while stealth units have 0. Of course, if you have 0 defense you will never win a battle, not even a single round, no matter how lucky you get ;) . However, bombers Vs (Jet) fighters is attack (8)4 vs defense 2. (And as you know, sometimes the defender wins that battles :hammer:

6) I have never had a recon or rebase mission intercepted, so I think those missions do not trigger the interceptors even when the mission point is very clearly in the expected intercept range.

Same here, and I think everywhere. With the billion of recons performed by players around the world, I think you can be sure of that :)

9) the probability of interception has nothing to do with the experience level of the interceptor, but this can effect if the attacker is successfully shot down because the hit points can be used up more easily on regular air units compared to their elite counterparts.

Thanks for claryfying that, it's something I've ever wondered. To add my two € cents to cracker's fortune, I think that if a fighter performed an AS mission, it will NOT heal, regardless of not have been moved. That is why being vet is also important in AS missions, because, if your Jet is down to 1HP it only has 51.2% of chances of shooting down a regular bomber. If the bomber is elite, it's an even worse 41% :eek:

10) even when a bomber is not successfully shot down and survives interception, I think the experience must shake up the crew so badly that they forget to to drop their bombs.

I guess they are so happy because of their feat that they decide they've done enough for that turn :lol:

Cracker: GREAT POST!!!!!

Top Bottom