Question on Tech Tree Creation

B-29_Bomber

Warlord
I wish to create an entirely new tech tree for all four ages. All four of the tech trees will cover a period of about 4 years so clearly the base game tech tree is kind of... no good.;)

I was wondering if there are any quirks I need to keep in mind, since this'll be the first time I've ever done something like this.

I'm running the Complete Edition version of the game and I'm using the editor included with the game.

FYI, the scenario involves an invasion of the Hawaiian Islands using the 362x362 Hawaii map as found here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/hawaii-362x362.493457/ I downloaded it on a whim and absolutely fell in love with it! Really offers an opportunity for both land and sea combat.

If I think the scenario is any good, I might just consider uploading it here.

I wish to create an entirely new tech tree for all four ages. All four of the tech trees will cover a period of about 4 years so clearly the base game tech tree is kind of... no good.;)

I was wondering if there are any quirks I need to keep in mind, since this'll be the first time I've ever done something like this.

You could take a look in the sub-section "Civ3 - Tutorials, Reference, & Guides". There are several good tutorials and explanations regarding tech-trees in there.
Regards.
Sigurd

B-29_Bomber... If you intend to have New Techs you will need to make them. Same for the Tech Boxes.
Be sure to make correct sizes = 128 x 128 and 32 x 32 and Palettes with the two transparent slots at the end of the Palettes that normally use Pure Green and Magenta.
In the Biq under Civilization Advances, it is the X and Y entries that move the Tech Boxes. X= Left and Right, Y= Up and Down.

Tech images go in the tech chooser folder.
Tech Screens go in the Advisor Folder: science_ancient.pcx, science_middle.pcx, science_industrial_new.pcx (keep the added new for this pcx) and science_modern. Keep the same sizes and resolution. The Palettes use the same two Transparent slots at the end of the Palettes.

If you want arrows pointing the paths from one Tech to another, the Arrows will be placed on your Tech Screens.
The Positions of both the Tech images and Arrows will be easier to place correctly by taking Screen Shots of what you start for them in game... then adjust them on the Tech Screens and in the Biq X and Y direction numbers using numbers by the pixels.

There are probably many techniques for adjusting the Techs and Arrows but Screen Shots help... If you enlarge your Screen Shots you can use a Square Brush with any color to see how many pixels to move a Tech because the Brush can be set to size. If you set the brush, for example, to size 20 that will be 20 pixels. When you place the colored square on your Screen Shot to see the space you need or want to move a Tech Box, you can see exactly the number of pixels you need to add or remove on the X and Y directions. IF the Tech Box was set to 20 on the Y entry and you need or want to move the Tech Box Down 20 pixels you would simply add 20, making the Y entry 40. If moving it Up 20 the entry would be 0. Same way for the X entries. If you have the X entry set at 20 and need or want to move the Tech Box Right 20 Pixels you would add 20, making the X entry 40. If moving it Left 20 Pixels the X entry would be 0.

...and yes, take a look at the some of the Tutorials.

This is all mainly Art and Math... have Fun with what you create :)

B-29_Bomber... If you intend to have New Techs you will need to make them. Same for the Tech Boxes.
Be sure to make correct sizes = 128 x 128 and 32 x 32 and Palettes with the two transparent slots at the end of the Palettes that normally use Pure Green and Magenta.
In the Biq under Civilization Advances, it is the X and Y entries that move the Tech Boxes. X= Left and Right, Y= Up and Down.

Tech images go in the tech chooser folder.
Tech Screens go in the Advisor Folder: science_ancient.pcx, science_middle.pcx, science_industrial_new.pcx (keep the added new for this pcx) and science_modern. Keep the same sizes and resolution. The Palettes use the same two Transparent slots at the end of the Palettes.

If you want arrows pointing the paths from one Tech to another, the Arrows will be placed on your Tech Screens.
The Positions of both the Tech images and Arrows will be easier to place correctly by taking Screen Shots of what you start for them in game... then adjust them on the Tech Screens and in the Biq X and Y direction numbers using numbers by the pixels.

There are probably many techniques for adjusting the Techs and Arrows but Screen Shots help... If you enlarge your Screen Shots you can use a Square Brush with any color to see how many pixels to move a Tech because the Brush can be set to size. If you set the brush, for example, to size 20 that will be 20 pixels. When you place the colored square on your Screen Shot to see the space you need or want to move a Tech Box, you can see exactly the number of pixels you need to add or remove on the X and Y directions. IF the Tech Box was set to 20 on the Y entry and you need or want to move the Tech Box Down 20 pixels you would simply add 20, making the Y entry 40. If moving it Up 20 the entry would be 0. Same way for the X entries. If you have the X entry set at 20 and need or want to move the Tech Box Right 20 Pixels you would add 20, making the X entry 40. If moving it Left 20 Pixels the X entry would be 0.

...and yes, take a look at the some of the Tutorials.

This is all mainly Art and Math... have Fun with what you create :)

Well, damn. That's all well beyond my abilities.

B-29_Bomber... do you mean it seems beyond your ability to accomplish or are you referring to not having a Photo Editer?
There are Free Photo Editors such as Gimp and as for feeling it would all be beyond your abilities... just dive in and do it. You will be amazed what you can do, then you will be "Hooked" into the Graphics Creation and MODDING Group :)

Do Not be afraid to begin simply because it seems difficult... in reality it just requires starting and you will discover it is easier than you might have thought.

B-29_bomber... if you need some help or want to ask some questions, start a conversation with me.
I would be glad to help you because we all had our beginnings at everything we do and I understand what seems too difficult.

Of course I am not sure if starting anyone out with anything is Good or bad... like introducing someone to Chess or Modding and Graphics work, it can be Great and if so it will lock you into many more endeavors as such.
Personally, I have No Regrets :)

B-29_Bomber... do you mean it seems beyond your ability to accomplish or are you referring to not having a Photo Editer?
There are Free Photo Editors such as Gimp and as for feeling it would all be beyond your abilities... just dive in and do it. You will be amazed what you can do, then you will be "Hooked" into the Graphics Creation and MODDING Group :)

Do Not be afraid to begin simply because it seems difficult... in reality it just requires starting and you will discover it is easier than you might have thought.

I'll probably just finish a rough mock up of the scenario (basically just custom units, buildings, government types and then adding in the units for scenario).

Then I'll just upload what I have and see if anyone's willing to help out.:dunno: If not, then whatevs. The scenario will be more or less... functional.

I'll probably just finish a rough mock up of the scenario (basically just custom units, buildings, government types and then adding in the units for scenario).

Then I'll just upload what I have and see if anyone's willing to help out.:dunno: If not, then whatevs. The scenario will be more or less... functional.

The whole purpose of the Creation and Customization Forum is for members to help each other out. I cannot do graphics, but I have helped out a few with playtesting.

The whole purpose of the Creation and Customization Forum is for members to help each other out. I cannot do graphics, but I have helped out a few with playtesting.
I get that, really I do. In principle that's exactly what these kinds of forums are for.

I'm just tempering my expectations. I also don't want to come off as one of those entitled little twits who expect people to drop everything to help them in particular.

I get that, really I do. In principle that's exactly what these kinds of forums are for.

I'm just tempering my expectations. I also don't want to come off as one of those entitled little twits who expect people to drop everything to help them in particular.

Its not as complex as it seems. What I usually do it set up all the techs in the positions I want gradually in the editor. I position one in one spot and then gradually add a tech 1 by 1 to the game. I launch the scenario often to see how the positioning looks. Then I screenshot it and paste it into GIMP. Make sure the size of the Advisor window is 1024x768 and cut out any of the map sides if you were using a larger screen resolution. I then make a layer for each tech's arrows using the arrow bmp graphic provided in the tutorials and reference guide section and I cut and paste the parts of the arrow as I want. Cut out the white using fuzzy select and build your arrows. I generally choose 1 straight arrow and then cut and paste gradually to the lengths between the techs. Once you have all the arrows, copy and paste all layers except the base image screenshot onto the blank science_advisor graphic you download with the arrow bmp and place in your mod folder.

The reason you want a layer per tech box is to adjust it separately if you need to make a change to a tech or the positioning of arrows without affecting the whole image. Layers also provide the ability to choose which arrows cross over each other. You of course dont need arrows as this is purely cosmetic. However, I prefer the completeness of arrows and sometimes make some cool designs. The game shows the prereqs without them if you right click a tech box ingame.

Its not as complex as it seems.

I think you're overestimating my abilities a tad.;) I'm honestly quite pathetic. There's a reason why my YouTube channel name is "Piece of Schmidt Gamer" and it's not just a reference to SAOA or the fact that I'm crap at games.

Top Bottom