Questions you won't ask due to the "duh! dumb question" factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zombie69 said:
I make a constructive criticism and you respond with a personal attack. Congratulations.

And yes, i do have lots of friends.

zombie, did you happen to notice the title of this thread? Go take a look.
By flaming someone on a thread that offers to help people WITHOUT FLAMES you are, in fact being rude beyond belief. I hope you can understand that.
Please save your "constructive criticism" for your many friends. Or perhaps you can start a thread called: "Ask me any question and I'll insult you"

Zombie69 said:
I make a constructive criticism

But you did no such thing. The post title alone is sufficient warning that this might not have been a thread that would be of worthy of your time, and you do know that you aren't required to read every thread. Right?

Zombie69 said:
I make a constructive criticism and you respond with a personal attack. Congratulations.

And yes, i do have lots of friends.

Look, as I said earlier, I had never hear vanilla used in speech like it is used in these forums. If someone had walked up to me at school and told me I was wearing "vanilla" clothes, I would have had no clue what they were saying.

The point of this thread is to avoid flaming, which it hasn't done.

Thank you Rasin Bran for starting this thread up, a great help for many I'm sure.

5cats said:
Or perhaps you can start a thread called: "Ask me any question and I'll insult you"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :goodjob:

Q: What does "We love the (king) day mean?
A: F- you!

Q: Where can i find techs my opponent has?
A: Go to hell!

Q: What does Vanilla mean?
A: You stupid ass. Get out of here.

Thanks for tuning in! ;)

I don't think that "vanilla" is widely used outside gaming circles - it's commonly used to describe a game which has not been modified (esp. FPSs like UT20004, for instance) but I've rarely heard it used in that sense IRL.

Regarding the AI techs, the ones displayed in the Diplo screens and the Foreign advisor are only those which are tradeable - if an AI possesses techs you don't know the prerequisites for then it's not displayed IIRC.

WLTK day eliminates maintenance in that city for a turn, and is triggered by having lots of happy citizens and no unhappy ones, basically. Whoever it was who mentioned that it used to do more is right, there used to be production bonuses and things in earlier iterations of the series.

Zombie69 said:

Wrong! You made a negative criticism. In fact, you violated the rules of this forum. I will not quote them, but once I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button I will then proceed back to your posts and hit the the "Report Bad Post" button.

As for vanilla, it is ONLY used in gaming circles to, as already said, describe a game that is not modded, changed, etc beyond official patches. In some cases, vanilla refers to the baseline released game withOUT official patches. Another term used with vanilla is nerfed. It is not so much used in Civ but other games. An example would be someone saying that Version X.XX of Y game has nerfed Z units stats from what it was in Vanilla. Not trying to confuse you but rather trying to help educate you in gaming terms that you may see here and other game sites. Nerfed means that something changed that that person or persons finds to be a downgrade. Lets say they patch Civ 4 so that Tanks can only move 1 space a turn regards of road or rails or not. To me I would say that they nerfed tanks and should restore them back to the vanilla tanks.

Does that make sense?

My apologies for Zombie69. If you go bald, you can get a surgery to grow new hair, it can be fixed. If you break your nose, there is plastic surgery to repair it, it can be fixed. High blood preasure, that too can be fixed. Alcoholism, yep, it too can be fixed. But nothing, NOTHING, can fix stupid.:eek:

@shadowrydor: Can you give an example of how it is used?

@All: Perhaps we should use this thread to review THIS file and perhaps update it? (Last updated on June 10th, 2005, by Thunderfall)

That file is the Civ and Online Acronyms List. I'll place it here as it may help some. Vanilla is listed.

Usually "slingshot" refers to using one thing to quickly get another, for a big boost.
For example, the Code of Laws (CoL) slingshot refers to building The Oracle wonder in conjunction with the right balance of tech progress such that you are able to choose CoL as the free tech awarded by being the one to build the Oracle.
The benefits of the CoL slingshot are multiple: you get the Oracle wonder, it's culture, its GP points, and you keep the free tech away from others; the first to discover CoL founds Confucianism, and CoL gives you access to courthouses, which anyone with a large empire will desperately need.

A Great Person can also be used to get an important tech, or in the case of a GProphet, to quickly snap up a tech and simultaneously found a religion.

Edited for spelling

shadowrydor said:
I have seen several references to the term "slingshot". Can anyone explain?

It means getting a free tech, either through the Oracle, Liberalism or a Great Person. In the expression CS Slingshot, which I'm guessing you picked this up from, the player would select Civil Service with the free tech they get after building the Oracle, and researching Code of Laws. Using this particular strategy gives you a big advantage since you can then select the Bureaucracy civic which gives you a strong bonus in the early game. It's this strategy that the "slingshot" term has come from because it generally gives you such a strong lead afterwards.

both willem and scienide009 are on the right track with "slingshot." I think it can be used more loosely then just techs though, and, unlike vanilla, it is used outside of games sometimes. But yes, it is getting something quickly from something else, like the previous example, Oracle and Code of Laws.

To further refine the already good description of a slingshot.

Slingshot is typically used when you get something that is far ahead of what you would normally have at that point in the game. The Oracle -> Code of Laws slingshot presented by scienide09 is a good example. You'll get Code of Laws, an expensive technology, long before you would normally get it. Probably the term is derived from the fact that you can throw a stone a lot further if you use a sling (but English is not my first language, so don't quote me on that). The sling is the Oracle here.

I think that you can ask some questions again and again in the quick answers/newbie thread. You are not supposed to read through it fully before you ask a question (I think). But I agree that some questions are answered better and in more detail if asked outside of that thread. But that tends to clutter up the forum a bit. So that's the reason the quick answers/newbie thread was created.

This thread will probably soon drop into the second page of this forum or become just as huge and unhandily as the quick answers/newbie thread. Still, a few questions were answered which is a good thing.

BeefontheBone said:
WLTK day eliminates maintenance in that city for a turn, and is triggered by having lots of happy citizens and no unhappy ones, basically. Whoever it was who mentioned that it used to do more is right, there used to be production bonuses and things in earlier iterations of the series.

Yes, it can now be described as 'We are Kinda Fond of the King Day' :goodjob::king: :goodjob:
BTW, congrats of this thread.
:)

I always thought slingshot meant set the order of techs at the science page say for rifling (or is that beelining for a tech)?

Then you should have tried a dictionary. Since you're from Montreal, i assume that your first language is French and that's why you didn't understand "vanilla". It's a very common expression in English that applies to many things outside Civ.

Not all of us learned English at a cybernipple.

Pantastic said:
1. Vanilla probably just means "plain", I haven't hears anyone say "vanilla civ" but I'd expect it to mean that someome is talking about a civilization with no traits. Would be something you'd say when doing a calculation or hypothetical to make it clear that you're just using raw numbers and not anything like financial or industrial.

2. Terra is one of the map options. Start the game, hit 'play now', on the 'select a map screen' look at the bottom entry. Gives you all of the civs on one big land mass plus a 'new world' to colonize later in the game.

Your vanilla civ answer is genius.

Here's a question that may belong to the DUH category: how do you clean up the Hall of Fame in the game? I've got some entries there I'd rather not see. Obviously these are the first several games I played where I lost (at Warlord) level and are kinda embarassing even I'm the only one who sees them :).

MasterShake said:
I always thought slingshot meant set the order of techs at the science page say for rifling (or is that beelining for a tech)?

Beelining is heading directly for a tech somewhere down the techtree, getting only the prerequisites for that tech and ignoring the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom