Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
That depends. If you declare war while that unit is still in enemy territory, then it's a rep hit, an implied RoP rape. But if you leave the territory and then on the next turn (I think it needs to be the next turn) attack, no problemo.

Aabraxan said:
I have a history of sending units into someone's territory just to see if a town is defended. I don't attack, just get close enough to see if a spearman's home. This causes a rep hit?
Nop. So long as you don't attack and leave when demanded, no problemo.

McLMan said:
Does your food surplus empty when a Settler or worker completes?

No it doesn't, in fact, if your city food-box fills the same time the settler/worker is build, then the population will first be reduced by 2 or 1 and then grow one again within the same inter-turn. You may notice this sometimes because citizens appear rearranged.

The only thing you have to watch out for is, if your city has a granary, it will empty when it grows from size 6 to 7 (and 12 to 13, but that is less likely)

So if you set up a settler pump, make sure it doesn't ever grow from 6 to 7, and you make a settler from a city above size 6, make it one size 9 or higher because then the granary doesn't have to refill.

It is possible to have a settler pump city fill its food-box at size 6, as long as the settler is also completed that very turn, because then the city will first lose 2 pop before it grows back to size 5 within the same inter-turn. But you must monitor the city closely to make sure citizens are not accidentally arranged in such a way the settler completes one turn to late.

azzaman333 said:
The granary actually doesnt empty when you go 6-7 or 12-13. It just appears that way because of the larger food box.

Then why do my granary cities always have to fill their size 7 foodbox from scratch?

When Civ 3 first came out, the granary remained half full at size 7 and 13. This lead to an exploit where you could build a worker every turn at size 7. Six turns later, you folded them all back in and zoomed up to size 12. Almost like WLTP day in Civ2. So they changed in it one of the early patches.

IIRC the granary empties in vanilla and PtW but food carries over in C3C but does not totally fill the food reserve section. For example, when growing from 6 to 7, 10 food is carried over but the resrve box is now size 20.

Which version are you playing MAS?

C3C, and I'm fairly certain my size 7 food-boxes start empty.

Sorry but in that case you are mistaken.

I'm playing a game at the moment and I have the Pyramids so it was a timely post. Screenshots attached from consecutive turns showing the growth from 6 to 7 with 10 food in the bin after the pop increase.

Attachments

• granary.JPG
    granary.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 84
  • granary2.JPG
    granary2.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 68
I'm not a "true believer" so in the face of overwhelming evidence, I'll have to admit I was wrong.

Thank you for clearing it up.

Interesting to see the evolution of this. At the beginning, the size seven food box was half-full. Then they made it empty. Now it's quarter-full. :crazyeye:

The C3C version is definitely a better solution to the exploit than the first attempt.

Totally agree. I always found it silly that no food was carried over when playing vanilla.

A small detail: I can't remember whether this is a C3C or a PtW improvement. I do think that it was only changed for C3C but I'm not certain.

Forgive me for not reading all the data, but I do see that you have the 10 food that the granary was giving prior to growing in the 1160BC depiction. So am I anot sure what the question was and I do not pay much attention to this detail, however it look like the box was not cleared completely.

I've read that when the AI is assessing your military strength,
it places more value on offensive units than defensive units.

What about :
-- air units?
-- sea units?
-- bombard-only units, like artillery, cruise missiles, or tactical nukes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom