1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noobnerd

Noobnerd Chieftain

I have been playing the game for several years but I want to ask a question. What do you do if you play on a huge map and have explored a lot of it and there is not a single Iron and someone declares war on you?

2. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

Buy some allies.
    Do you have Horses? How far away is Military Tradition? [edit: you'll need saltpetre as well for cavalry]

On a side-note, if you start the game with relatively few AI, there will be relatively few resources on the map.

3. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

...or get yourself a poor man's army: archers, a couple of spears and a massive stack of cats.

(Have they got iron?)

4. Noobnerd

Noobnerd Chieftain

I can't really remember what had happened as it was a few years ago, my first Civ3 game and I was in the Ancient Times so Military Tradition is a little far away. I forgot how many AI there were but I only found one. And it was a huge map. I was also a noob, a NOOB at that time, so I sent Spearmen to war and kept Archers back in the cities -_- how lame lol. And I sent Catapults alone by themselves so all of them got captured. (I did not know how to use Catapults as it was my first time playing...) The AI, which was Babylon from what I remember, was already in the Middle Ages so they had Pikeman. And I was losing.

At least I know how to fight a war now...

5. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Probably the AI founded a city on the Iron. Doing a clean map (ctrl+shift+m) will removed a bunch of clutter from the screen (Including units and cities) and you can see where the resources are.

6. WereWilf13

WereWilf13 Chieftain

hello, is there anybody out there? i've downloaded a couple of scenario's...camelot, rood and a lord of the rings thing but when i try to play them i get various error messages, usually along the lines of pediaicon missing will now close. WHAT? help, please, pretty please, pretty pleaseith red bows n tinsel

7. watorrey

watorrey Deity

Each scenario or mod will have its own discussion thread. You should ask specific questions about each one there.

8. WereWilf13

WereWilf13 Chieftain

ok, sorry if i'm being stupid but how do i get there? NooB and a bit of a technophobe

9. WereWilf13

WereWilf13 Chieftain

ok, got there. I may resurface and ask more stoopid questions tho

10. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

See if you can discover what versions of Civ those mods are designed to run with. Some have patch issues other are for vanilla or PTW or C3C.

Some of the items go into different directories under different versions.

11. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

Can you rush a palace with a MGL? :cool:

12. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Well the palace is seen as an improvement (I know this for sure, seen it on the C&C forums first and used it myself after), not as a wonder, so you should be able to. :)

13. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Yes you can rush a Palace or an FP as they are small wonders.

14. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

Thank you both. :)

15. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

You're welcome. :)

The Palace acts like a small wonder, and the player should consider it like a small wonder, and I think it's listed in Civilopedia as a small wonder, but it's not really a small wonder. :) If you look in the editor, you see it's actually an "improvement". This is because a small wonder can only be build once, while a Palace can only exist once at a time, but can be built how many times you want. :) It's true that this information is not really useful for players.

16. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Actually you can build the FP as many times as you want as well. I suspect all small wonders can be, but I have not tried it. I may have done the MA more than once, but I am not sure.

17. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Wait a minute... You can build the Forbidden Palace more than once? :eek: Are you sure? I thought the definition of small wonders was that "something that can be build once by every civ". I might be wrong, I don't know, but that's how I knew it was.... :)

18. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

Well yes and no. You can build the FP more than once but you can only attempt to build it if you don't have it, or are not currently attempting to build it in another city (assuming that you have a sufficient number of cities of course). This means that you can only build it more than once if you lose your FP city.

AFAIK this applies to all other small wonders but I rarely build some and even more rarely lose any so I can only speak with certainty about the FP. ;)

This is of course slightly different to Palace in that although you can only have one build attempt at any one time, you can build it whilst owning a palace!

19. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Yes you can built it more than once, you cannot have more than one at a time. IOW if you abandon the town or it is raze or any method that causes you to need a new FP.

Great wonders, you cannot built them, even if they are razed. Now as to the technical term for a palace, that I am not sure of, but as you said it does not matter. It functions as a small wonder.

20. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

One of my Grandsons want to play Civ III Conquest, I have two questions.

1- Is 9 to young to play C3C?
    2- Do I need to buy him a copy of Civ III and load it so he can play C3C?

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Another question I have is what is the difference between a mod pack and a scenerio?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.