Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it can't be fixed. It's hard coded into the program.

Rise and Rule has small wonders that kick out armies. When they have them, they tend to use them. Just not as efficently as you or I would.

how many cities do you need to be able to build the forbidden palace on a large world?

found out - 15

Hi to all.
...my first post here...

I have a question about max amount of units(not free units, all units) I can have in the game.
I play Conquests.
Now I have 896 mech. infantries, 625 modern armors, 415 stealth bombers, 400+ mobile SAMs, many jets. 2951 units in total. My goverment type is democracy. The problem is that I can't build more units. Not a single one. (I have enough money to support my units).
I can still build improvements, but not units.
The cities state that they are building mech. infantry and is done in 1 turn, but no units are build. Number of other civ's units doesn't grow either(as I observed).
Is there unit limit in the game? Is it a unit type related limit or general unit amount limit(including AI's units)?
How to overcome this limit?

I couldn't upload my save here, it's too big. I can send it by e-mail if needed. I have 895 mech.infantries in it, 7 more have to come next turn, but only one comes really. Waited some more turns, but no more units were build.

Hope to find some answers here.

There is an upper max on total number of units in the game. 8192 I believe is the high end. This includes your units, as well as all other civ's units.

The limit is hardcoded, and not negotiable, unfortunately.

So the solution is to go and kill some AI...uhh, I mean, to go and purify the world of infidel AI terrorist, yeah thats what I mean. :D Anyway, the result is similar.

No, it can't be fixed. It's hard coded into the program.

Rise and Rule has small wonders that kick out armies. When they have them, they tend to use them. Just not as efficently as you or I would.
Very true. The best way I've found to represent armies in a mod is to only allow one unit to load into it, but give it a + 10 HP bonus. It's not as good as a proper fix, but at least the AI will use the armies competently.

uh well i prolly seem hella 'noob' like you guys say (i hate the word noob it makes you sound like a nerd/geek not hatein tho just opinion) but the question is:

How do i add mods to Civ3:
unit mods?
and map mods?

No, what I mean is, if you notice, you would at least from time to time, see that the AI would turn their MGL into an army (a crappy one), but an army, nevertheless. In C3C, it just rushes something.

Is there any way this could be fixed in C3C? Somewhere in the Civ3 Edit? Should I ask in the C&C Forum instead?
I played in an SG (6grams) where the rules were edited to get the AI to build armies in C3C and it worked:

Unfortunately we got our butts kicked in that one!

The details of how to do it are here.

Does the AI have a map hack? I see some evidence for this, but I'm not sure.
Edit: Is there morale? My first few battles in every game seem to be rough, after I take a city or two, outcomes seem to be better.
I know there is national morale, where citizens are happier if you win a lot, but has it been quantified? I think I recall a stack of cavalry of mine getting demolished, and then, all of a sudden WLTK days all over my nation ended.

In the war academy section there`s a lot of talk about OCN. If I understand correctly that means optimal city number. But how do I find my optimal city number?

When you hit the halfway point, you get a pop up suggesting building the Forbidden Palace. I don't have the numbers handy, but if you look in the editor you can find them there.

Found it:
OCN = Optimal City Number

From the editor: Determines the optimal number of cities before rampant corruption occurs. If a player exceeds this number of cities, corruption dramatically increases, regardless of how far away from the capital a city is.

Basically, it is the number of cities you can have until corruption gets really bad. It is affected by world size and difficulty level.

OCN #s:
Tiny - 14
Small - 17
Standard - 20
Large - 28
Huge - 36

(you need half of the OCN to be able to build the Forbidden Palace - so 7 on a tiny map)

Multiply those numbers by the difficulty level:
Chieftain - 100%
Warlord - 95%
Regent - 90%
Monarch - 85%
Emperor - 80%
Demigod - 70%
Deity - 60%
Sid - 50%

That means, on Sid, on a standard size map, you only get 10 (20 * 50% (or .5)) cities before corruption will drastically increase.

Does anyone ever build outposts or radars? Do outposts keep barbs out? Are radars worth it seeing as you can't build the in enemy territory? (The closest you can build them is on the front, unless you're taking on a SOD, it seems like a waste)

Does anyone ever build outposts or radars?
Yes, Radar usually.

Do outposts keep barbs out?
They're supposed to, because you've in sight of territory. Of course, once they spawn they could move into your line of sight.
Are radars worth it seeing as you can't build the in enemy territory? (The closest you can build them is on the front, unless you're taking on a SOD, it seems like a waste)
They're more a defensive structure than anything else. If you're advancing, then I wouldn't bother with them. But if you've got a SoD coming your way then yeah, they can be useful. As for attacking, they're the first things I take out.

They're supposed to, because you've in sight of territory. Of course, once they spawn they could move into your line of sight.
I ask because non-military line of sight is not immune from barbs, I have had them appear right in front of my scout many many times. Of course culture LOS also keeps barbs off.
They're more a defensive structure than anything else. If you're advancing, then I wouldn't bother with them. But if you've got a SoD coming your way then yeah, they can be useful. As for attacking, they're the first things I take out.
Ahh, I thought so... If I have waaay too many workers, and I don't feel like looking at them anymore, I build Tonnes of these every time my border advances.

Edit: Do they help bombardment too? Does the bombardier or the bombardee have to be withn the 2 tile radius? Or both? What about planes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom