Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone help me with writing my Scenario Search Folders line? I don't understand it.

AAsiK, you may want to spend some time in the creation & customization forums and ask your questions there. Different expansion packs have different file extentions. Vanilla = .bic, PTW = .bix, C3C = .biq and the default search path will be different for each version. Basically it searches the scenario folder with the same name first then the game folders for the files it is looking for. You use the search folders line if you want it to search in a different place or order. I forgot the exact usage of it.

What is "keepres=1"? I have a 1280X800 widescreen laptop that I just installed Civ3 on. Will this help me? Where do I put it? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

It goes in the ini file. It will let the game play at the desktop setting.

What does this mean, exactly? What is the exact file it goes into? I can't find anything in my civ folders that fits.

C3Complete, BTW.

Joe

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out, thanks!

Joe

Hi you all

I have a noob question for youall

how do i enter the editor??

Start - Program Files - [The folder that contains your civ3 folder] - Civilization 3 - Civ3 Edit

Or search it in some other way.

This varies from computer to computer.

You can, for some reason, not enter it in the game itself, you have to do it like this. If you plan to enter it more often, just copy it to your desktop.

So what's the deal with Coastal Fortresses? I have yet to see one bombard an enemy ship, and if one of my cities gets bombarded by an enemy ship the first thing that always seems to happen is "coastal fortress destroyed," with no harm ever done to the bombarding ship. I have yet to see that a coastal fortress does anything. Have I wasted my time (and sheilds) building coastal fortresses in most of my coastal cities?

So coastal fortresses provide no benefits whatsoever, or only minimal benefits that are not worth the expense of building them?

Can you still get War Hapiness if you are in a government that doesen't produce War Weariness?

Can you still get War Hapiness if you are in a government that doesen't produce War Weariness?
Yes. I often look to get this to help me out in Despotism. You'll see this confirmed in Oystein's article in the War Acadamy in that he states that all governments can get a -1 WW rating.

On coastal fortreses, has anybody seen one work?

When an AI declares war on you, you get a happiness boost in all your cities!...........IIRC it's like adding a "temple" (viz. -1 WW?) to all your cities (without the culture or maintenance cost, of course). ;)

Which actually brings up a question that's been on my mind. I haven't reviewed all of the war academy yet, so perhaps the answer is there, but are there tricks to getting the AI to attack you? In CivII you could goad another civ into attacking you (most of the time), but I haven't yet found the trick in CivIII.

Yes, you can goad the AI into attacking you. When he has a unit in your territory keep asking him to "Withdraw or Declare War" (on the Diplomacy Screen [F4]). :)

Yes, you can goad the AI into attacking you. When he has a unit in your territory keep asking him to "Withdraw or Declare War" (on the Diplomacy Screen [F4]). :)
Yes, but that only works if s/he has a unit in your territory, and assumes you don't have a RoP. Any tricks for either of those situations?

If you play on a high enough level or have a weak enough military, the AI will get around to making Demands, then Declaring War on You!

Sorry, can't give you any more tips...........I'm more of an offensive-genocidal player! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom