1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

I believe that the more effective method is to wait until they have units in your territory, then repeatedly (about 20 times) make a demand for one of their cities, then ask them to withdraw or declare war. Works almost every time. :) Of course I believe that some players think that this is an exploit and would therefore not consider it.

2. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

I like that tip, Keroro. :mischief:

3. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

...and if they don't have units inside your territory you can still make your demands to get them furious and then wait for them to declare war some turns later, which is fine as long as you can afford to be patient about such things.

Another possibility is to declare war on a far away civ and wait for them to build alliances against you.

Neither of these is 100% successful but it can be worth trying out if they are not crossing your lands and you are more interested in getting WW than in conquering their territories.

Iit can be more powerful than this. In Oystein's article he says you get +25% happiness boost. I thought that it was 1 happiness point for every three citizens before checking but either way you get no benefit in very small towns but large cities and metros can get a massive boost to happiness. It can be worth several luxes if your core cities are pretty large and can also induce WLTKD. If you get several rivals to declare upon you, your cities will be setting off fireworks all over the place!

4. Scratcher

Scratcher Emperor

Getting the AI to declare war early in the game can be a big boost to your empire if you can handle the war. The happiness generated means you can put more funds into research or support a larger military.

You can "lure" the AI into your territory by:
    Leaving space for settlers.
    Leaving border cities undefended (but defenders within a one turn radius).

Then as stated, make them furious, and then ask them to leave.

Personally I love it when some far away civ makes a demand, I refuse and war is declared. I would let this war continue for as long as it is beneficial to me (sometimes for ever) as I will continue to get the war happiness.

5. Kool Keith

Kool Keith Warlord

When you are about to settle a town, is there a way to choose which tiles you will get? I hate the randomness of it.

6. hrhomer

hrhomer Fat Guy

Double click on the city to open the city view. From there, you can choose to work a particular tile by clicking on it. If the tile can't be worked on, another city is using it - you'll have to open the OTHER city's city view, and de-select the tile. Then the new city can work it.

Joe

7. Kool Keith

Kool Keith Warlord

Thanks for the response, hrhomer, but that's not what I meant. I should have explained better.

I mean before you settle, can you determine the shape of the town? Sometimes you get a strict 9-tile square, and other times you get something entirely different.

I am wondering if there is anything you can to choose the shape of the town as you (or before) you settle.

8. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

It sounds like you're talking about the "footprint" of the town when you're settling near the AI. Is that what you're asking about? Assuming that I'm not settling near the AI, I always get the fat cross footprint.

9. hrhomer

hrhomer Fat Guy

I think not. If the new city is far enough from your cultural borders, it will be a strict 9-tile square. That's the basic shape of a new city. If it's close enough, it will merge with your existing borders. There is no way to choose how, except by settling in a different square.

Joe

10. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

Just to define what 'close enough' means, it is just one tile. Single tiles that are caught wedged between your current borders and a new border will also become part of your territory

In the diagram below settling in the blue spot leaves a two tile gap between my current (orange border) and the basic 9 tile footprint of the new city so it will have to make do with just the nine tiles.

The red site has caught a couple of extra tiles between the nine tile footprint and the current borders so that city would be able to work those two shaded tiles as well as the basic nine.

11. Kool Keith

Kool Keith Warlord

Thanks everyone.

12. juniortruss1980

juniortruss1980 Chieftain

In civ 3 vanilla, are there any real purposes for cruise missiles or helicopters??

13. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

They're not that bad. Cruise Missiles have lethal bombard, which will finish a unit off after being redlined by arty (Which doesn't have LB) and Helicopters can move Infantry or other foot soldiers to newly captured cities quickly. So they can help set up defense quicker than by transport.

14. cometflash

cometflash Prince

Do you learn anything playing tutorial mode, or is it a waste of time?

I play Monarch all the time now, and I'm thinking about moving one up. Even know I'm doing good, I still come here and learn one or other things that I didn't know, which is unbelievable, going by how long this game is out. And is not just me, as I see other player finding things that know one knew by this day.

I never play the Tutorial, when I got the game, I just failed a fill times and learn to play on my own, I didn't even knew it had a tutorial (I usually don't read manual), but as I love this game, I start to read everything about it, and a fill weeks ago, I tough about playing the tutorial, just to see how it was, but I don't know if would be such a good deal to do this after playing for so long.

So do you think I would learn anything, would it be a good Idea to play, or would just be a waste of time?

15. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

It is very pathetic and not worth playing. It was only intended to show the basic mechanics, like how to move and such.

16. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd King

2 quickie questions

How do I get the city view where I see the palace/wonders etc.?

I'm playing on a map with lots of oceans. Early on I conquered my continent and when tha adviser suggested I build the forbidden palace, I did. Now, I've invaded a weak civ across the ocean and am building on a distant continent and getting eaten up by wate/corruption. Is there a way to move the FP or wreck it and rebuild it elsewhere? I've read about the free palace hop, but I'd rather not exploit it and anyway, the cities on the new continent are smaller than those well established back home.

17. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

In Conquest is is the eye in the city view. IOW open the city and click on the eyeball.

If this is Conquest do not worry about moving the FP or the Palace. If not, you have to evaluate if it work more where it is or in some other location.

18. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd King

Thanks VMXA. I'm playing Civ3 Complete, so I suppose it's Conquest. Is there no way to move it in Conquests? How would I do it in the other versions?

19. hrhomer

hrhomer Fat Guy

You CAN move it in conquests, you just don't need to - the location of the FP doesn't really matter. As for other versions, I've never played them, and don't know how you'd move it without abandoning the city.

Joe

20. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

So the FP will have the same effect no matter where it is built in your empire? Can you build it in the capital?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.