Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to answer somewhat "on-topic": The Canal Zone of Panama City has "flipped" from being an American "City" to a Panamanian "City". Some of the citizenry is still U.S. but many Latins have moved in.........and the properties are for sale to anyone. Very unlikely for the "City" to "flip" back.

Costa Del Este, where I own a high-rise apartment, however, is gaining in foreign citizenry.

And, I think it's fair to say that Panama & the U.S. have a strong Military Alliance and an ROP Agreement........although that's rather one-sided! ;)

I'd like answer somewhat "on-topic": The Canal Zone of Panama City has "flipped" from being an American "City" to a Panamanian "City". Some of the citizenry is still U.S. but many Latins have moved in.........and the properties are for sale to anyone. Very unlikely for the "City" to "flip" back.
I guess the cultural pressure was too strong. ;)

Quickie question (number 4 in an occasional series)

How do you draft? What are the reprecussions?

drafting is enabled by researching Nationalism, one of the first technologies in the Industrial era. a small icon will appear on the city screen near the hurry icon. if you click on it, one citizen will be drafted; transformed into a conscript (2 hp) defensive unit. drafting also creates a little unhappiness if i remember correctly.

those conscript men cannot really survive much in the war. if you are in great-great danger sometimes it could be useful to replace the regular garrison you set up and/or give police advantages if you face vast unhappiness, but they cannot be compared to the self-created military.

@splunge: By using the draft button! This is found by going into the city screen-it is next to the rush production button on the right hand side of the line that shows the blue and red shields.

You can only draft in cities and metros (i.e. you need a pop of at least size 7) where you have some citizens that are from your civ. You can never draft foreign nationals. Each unit will be a conscript and so will only have a health bar of size 2 so you may need to find a weak enemy to go and pick on to get it promoted to regular+ unless you are in a real emergency. The drawback is that every unit you draft causes draft unhappiness. This is effectively the same as whip unhappiness (caused by rushing production in despotism, communism, etc) in that one citizen in the city that you drafted will switch from being content to unhappy for 20 turns.

Edit: crosspost with Diviner but we've each got info that the other hasn't so together they make a more complete answer!

Other then having more or less, does the number matter? Like if one city had 1001 and the other had 1000. If the first city had 9050 instead, might it control more tiles?

Within the ranges for cultural expansion I don't think it does, apart from when you are in competition with another civ.

I don't understand this answer. The question is only in relevance to competition with another civ, as far as whether a tile goes to them or you.

It's really simple. Whichever city has more culture will control contested tiles. Any city spaced more than cxc will always control the inner 9 tiles. Time to reword your question as time has passed if you don't understand something.

It's really simple. Whichever city has more culture will control contested tiles. Any city spaced more than cxc will always control the inner 9 tiles. Time to reword your question as time has passed if you don't understand something.
In the first screenshot, OTTO'S FOLLY has more culture than my city 011 (620-422)........Yet 011 controls the 2 contested tiles! Why is that?

In the second screenshot (the next turn), OTTO'S FOLLY takes over the contested tiles!

Watorrey (or others), can you shed some light on this? (I have also attached game .savs Before & After.) :)

Second Question:
City 013 hits 10,000+ culture in 2005 AD.............But look at the way it expands!? (City 013 is in the bottom right corner of the Map Screen.) Can you explain that, too? :crazyeye:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/11186/2004AD_Before.JPG
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/11186/2005AD_After.JPG
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/11186/EMan_Chieftain_Tiny_HIST_2288_2004AD_Maya_C3C_HOF.SAV
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/11186/EMan_Chieftain_Tiny_HIST_2288_2005AD_Maya_C3C_HOF.SAV

Otto's Folly beat your culture in the interturn. :)

Also, it beat 009's culture. (Though it is REALLY weird!)

Simple as that.

@EMan: This could be related to True Purple's question about when multiple cities are contesting a tile. Do you have the culture values for all the cities that are contesting the tiles that switched?

I was playing a PBEM game where I settled and in the nine tiles were horses and Iron. I could see a rivals settler CxC away. The next turn I had lost two tiles to the other settler including horses.

Now both cities were founded on the same turn so they have the same culture value of zero. So why does the other city get the full nine tiles and my city loses the shared tiles? Is it distance to the capital, overall civ culture? Can someone explain this please.

In the first screenshot, OTTO'S FOLLY has more culture than my city 011 (620-422)........Yet 011 controls the 2 contested tiles! Why is that?

In the second screenshot (the next turn), OTTO'S FOLLY takes over the contested tiles!

Watorrey (or others), can you shed some light on this? (I have also attached game .savs Before & After.) :)

For people who didn't download the saves, EMan's cities have the following culture:

011 - 432 + 0
009 - 0 + 0
031 - 94 + 0
058 - 36 + 0
023 - 100 + 0
077 - 0 + 0
022 - 86 + 0

OTTO'S FOLLY goes from 620 to 622 culture. I thought it might be some combination of EMan's tiles, so I played on from the 2005 save, but there is something else going on. I left everything alone, except I rushed all cultural buildings in 011. By 2023, 011 had more culture by itself than OTTO'S FOLLY, but by 2040, it still hadn't reclaimed those two tiles. However, when 011's culture increased over 1000, then it did reclaim those tiles.

Obviously my understanding of cultural control is missing something.

Second Question:
City 013 hits 10,000+ culture in 2005 AD.............But look at the way it expands!? (City 013 is in the bottom right corner of the Map Screen.) Can you explain that, too? :crazyeye:

It looks like the normal expansion ot 10,000 except it omits all ocean tiles. Am I missing something?

I've got a theory that has now held up under a couple tests.

Tiles only change control when someone has a cultural expansion somewhere.

OTTO'S FOLLY didn't claim tiles even though it had more culture than 011 until 013 reached 10000 culture.

In my tests, 011 also reclaimed those tiles earlier, if I rushed culture somewhere completely irrelevant to those tiles but gave a city a cultural expansion.

...Tiles only change control when someone has a cultural expansion somewhere.

OTTO'S FOLLY didn't claim tiles even though it had more culture than 011 until 013 reached 10000 culture.

In my tests, 011 also reclaimed those tiles earlier, if I rushed culture somewhere completely irrelevant to those tiles but gave a city a cultural expansion.
@Chamnix: Thanks for taking the time to analyse this situation......I think you're on to something!

Double your money?......

...It looks like the normal expansion ot 10,000 except it omits all ocean tiles. Am I missing something?
Well, I may be missing something.......BUT, take a look again at the expansion of City 013. (See attached screenshot.) Specifically, the 2 Coast tiles starting 5 tiles NW of City 021 and drop south for 1 tile. Why have those tiles come under my control? :crazyeye:

There is a "Lucky" Footnote to all this: I was "Sailing Pretty Close To The Wind" in this HOF game. Normally, by this point in the game, I'm within 1 tile of the Domination Limit (viz. To Maximize Score). However, I was at 3 from the DL. Then City 013 expanded and I had planned for it to take the 2 Coast tiles by 061.........But, I had not counted on it taking the 2 tiles 5 NW of 021. This action would have put me over the DL and I would have had to apply for a Special Dispensation from 'slug for the game to be accepted into the HOF with a reload. However, as luck would have it, the AI's city decided to expand at the same time and took 2 of my tiles "away", thus keeping me 1 tile below the DL limit!! :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/11186/City_021_Controls_Tile_At_5_NW.JPG

I've got a theory that has now held up under a couple tests.

Tiles only change control when someone has a cultural expansion somewhere.

Interesting result! Presumably "someone has a cultural expansion" includes other events which cause the game to recalculate territories, i.e. settling, capturing, trading or razing towns. As these are fairly common events, it would explain why we didn't notice this effect before.

I was just wondering if in a domination game would sea and ocean count as tiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom