1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khan_Asparuh

Khan_Asparuh Just a Bulgarian Eddie

Welcome to CFC M3TH.

You don't need to make all your population happy, the city will live just fine if you have the same number of happy and unhappy citizens.

Depending on the level you play on there are always unhappy people, you can't do nothing on this. Up from emperor every citizen born after the first one in the city is unhappy. I don't recall how was it on the lower levels, but dealing with the hapiness is always a delicate task.

In your exemple your situation is ok... 3 lux is good, a temple adds a forth happy face, the market will add 5th one, and under the monarchy you can get 3 more from military police. This makes 8, good enough for a city above pop 6.

Finally, if you adjust the hapiness slider you'll see that every coin invested turns into happy face so you can get quite some hapiness in a low corruption city with 10% luxes. This is the best way to manage hapiness IMO. (after luxes of course)

2. namliaM

namliaM Chieftain

@m3th

0) If applicable use Military Police
    1) Adjust the lux slider to keep em happy
    2) Get more luxes
    3) If all else fails you may build two or three temples
    4) If you have temples, maybe add one or two Cathedrals
    5) Build happyness wonders like Hanging Gardens or such

Edit: To late :(

3. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

Is Rubber available?

4. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

He did say in his first post that all necessary resources were available.

5. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

Hmm. Is rubber connected to the cities in question, though? I.e. is the trade route disrupted? It's not a case of trading away one source of rubber, and the second one being lost due to war/cultural expansion (rubber doesn't expire)?

6. Turner

That was my first thought, but I figured that was covered by 'all the right resources'.

7. axehaxe

axehaxe Chieftain

Is it possible to cause an AI to give you things when you sign a peace treaty without having killed any of his units or capturing his cities? For example, if you had an army in the enemy territory and pillaged about 20 tiles without a single unit being killed on either side nor a single city being captured, could this be enough damage to ask him for money in a peace treaty?

8. Turner

I want to say 'no', but it really depends on the situation.

That's something to test, and then post your results.

9. axehaxe

axehaxe Chieftain

hmm, I'll have to make a scenario like that and find out

10. TimBentley

TimBentley Chieftain

11. IslandFox

IslandFox Chieftain

>.> It was the barracks thing. I'd forgotten to build barracks in all of my front-line cities. D'oh.

@axehaxe; I believe so- I haven't done that exact thing, but I did get a city off Japan for peace after just killing one Cavalry... I was significantly stronger, so that must play a role in the AIs decisions in peace making.

Interestingly, just recently I've taken about half of Americas cities- and the most he's willing to pass with for peace is 70 gold. Nice try, Abe.

12. fe3333au

fe3333au Chieftain

>How often do the Best/Wealthiest/Smartest/Sexiest Civs Books get published

>What are the triggers

>Can the frequency be altered

13. IRulErrThing

IRulErrThing Chieftain

Definately. It can take some time, and usually it's when they're at war with another Civ who may, or may not, be giving them some trouble so they don't have the resources to take you on at the same time. It's never a lot. Maybe a couple gpt, or a small bulk amount, NEVER a city. I usually keep em hanging though. For me, it's a sign to attack. Why would they want to pay me off if they "theoretically" have a stronger military? The answer.....they wouldn't. Send a squad and take over a city or two and you'll have that 3gpt turned into 15.

14. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I can't say for 100% sure, but I think it's based on the game date, every 1000 years?

15. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

I feel real newbish asking this but I forgot, havent played Civ in forever. How do I stack the units? I kept trying combinations of buttons and couldnt figure it out?

Thx to whoever answers.

16. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

You can make a stack by putting them all on the same tile. You can move the entire stack by pressing letter "J". I believe "X" works also in C3C. I believe Ctl-J and Ctl-X moves all units of a single type.

17. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

Also in C3C there are buttons above the info box for stack movement. I don't recall if they were in PTW or not...

18. fe3333au

fe3333au Chieftain

Can anyone confirm this ???

It is regarding the Best Civilization in the world Books that pop up throughout the game

19. Turner

Well, one of them for sure comes up at 3000bc, I do know that. Not sure about the rest, I usually don't pay attention.

20. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow?

Quick & Dirty Answer: Try the Babylonians.....Temples & Libraries are half-price!................easier to Pop-rush them under despotism. Consider switching to Communism when it becomes available. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.