1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axehaxe

axehaxe Chieftain

hmm, thats interesting. I also noticed that different civs give you different things sometimes when you ask for peace. Almost all will give you their size 1 uncultured cities when you win. Some will accept gpt and some will never accept it. The Babylonians and Persians never accept it.

2. axehaxe

axehaxe Chieftain

Originally Posted by IRulErrThing
    Thats really useful then cuz sometimes, its better to pillage everything they have and completely cripple them for later without taking any cities and then demand some gpt. This way you won't lose cities through culture flips.

3. Mathias

Mathias OCC Rocks!

If any civ will 'never accept' a deal in which they give gpt, peace treaty or other, it is because they do not have it available, not because they are simply unwilling to give it.

4. axehaxe

axehaxe Chieftain

Yup, now I know how the GL trick works thanx! I have one more question about it though. If you let two AI's get Steam power in the industrial age or replaceable parts and then re-capture the GL city, do you get steam power or replaceable parts as well BEFORE you get education which then ends the tech gain?

5. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

That's not how it works.

You build the GL. When you get to Military Tradition, and start building calvary like crazy, and stop science. Gift the city away. When you see two civs running around with Infantry, then you take the GL city back, and on the next turn, you start getting techs from the AI. You'll probably get Education first. That's okay, because the GL expires on the turn after Education is learned. So you end up getting all the rest of the techs too, even tho Education was one of the first.

Edit: You'll want to gift the GL city away before two civs learn education, or all is for naught.

6. axehaxe

axehaxe Chieftain

Originally posted by Turner_727
    Ohhhhh. Shoot, maybe i did it wrong then. What I did was, I am the vikings and I took the arabian city containing the GL. I saw the turn when Persia had Education but it would be about 10 more turns before Egypt or Aztecs would get it too. So I decided to be safe rather than sorry and gifted the city to the romans who had 1 city left. For some strange reason, education doesn't show up in the roman technology pull down menu even after 5 turns. I don't have education yet. I self researched my way during this time up to gunpowder. Meanwhile, the aztecs captured the GL city. Then the Egyptians suddenly declared war on the aztecs and took the city. So for all three, is the GL obsolete but for me, it is not obsolete yet because I haven't learned education?

7. Turner

That is correct. Because you haven't learned Education yet, the GL is still viable to you. Now, in Civ2, it was the first person to learn Education that made the GL obsolete. Oh, the fun I had getting to education just as the AI got the GL.

8. Pacifist

Pacifist Chieftain

Is it possible to keep other AI Civs in the dark about my bad dealings with other AI Civs?

For example ...

Say I have contact with the English, the Persians and the Babylonians. I decide to offer my excess iron as a gift to the English, which my advisor keeps telling me are military superior compared to me, so that they won't declare war (a 20-turn deal). I then start beefing up my military. I then make a MPP with the Persians 5 turns later. I then decide to break the deal with the English and as a result, the English gets P.O.ed with me :p

Is it possible to hide my bad dealings with the English from the Persians and Babylonians? If so, how?

This is just an example. I never give up strategic resources for nothing :p

-Pacifist-
    "Knowledge is power"

9. Turner

Simple answer is Yes, so long as the English don't have contact with any other civ.

10. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

Kill a civ any way you want (RoP rape, etc.) before they don't know anyone else, and your reputation is fine. If they even know one civ, and the one civ knows everyone else, your reputation will be tarnished forever.

11. chris88

chris88 Chieftain

Just quickly, wondering if there is a guide somewhere to what a tech is worth in gold ... it might help my tech trading, etc.

12. Turner

CivAssistII, link in my sig, has the tech costs in them. Of course, you could pull them from the editor. I'm not sure if there's something online here that has that.

13. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I just created a scenario in the C3C editor where each turn took 1000 years each. The book popped up every turn.

I found no options in the editor regarding the book whatsoever.

14. TimBentley

TimBentley Chieftain

15. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Yeah, I seem to notice that CivAssistII tends to overestimate the tech cost, i.e. I can buy it for a little less than it says.

16. namliaM

namliaM Chieftain

I think CAII lists the cost to research it... Where as if you buy it both you and the AI are better off...

Well theoretically speaking.... And I find ... Some techs are damn near impossible to buy, in particular while its a monopoly tech!

17. Ginger_Ale

18. sweeneygov

sweeneygov Chieftain

Tell me about it, i am trying to buy Monarchy and Engineering off the Babylonians whilst some AI's will give me various lesser sciences for mere contact with another civ they are asking for 35 gold per turn, world map, and 580 gold in lump sum!

so all those tacticians who told me to put my science on 0% and just buy and trade techs is not that easy when your neighbours want to bleed you dry of all your finances!

19. Ginger_Ale

Buying techs works best on continents or archipelago when not all civs know each other, so you can buy your techs at a low cost and sell it to the other continent for a high profit.

20. Khan_Asparuh

Khan_Asparuh Just a Bulgarian Eddie

The tacticians don't talk about straight tech buying, but for 2-3 fers that usualy are better when the civilizations don't know each other but still doable even in full world contact.
    For exemple, in your case, if the Babs have monopoly on Monarchy and Engineering, this will cost quite much. But if in the same time there is Theo around that just got Feudalism and doesn't know Hammi, if you buy the two techs from Hammi, then sell them to Theo (depending of the level you may need to add some cash) for Feud then return and sell Feud back to Hammi to get your money back. It's a stylised vision but you can get 3 techs for free like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.