1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcoron

Alcoron Chieftain

Thank you very much for the quick answer :) :) :)

2. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

There's been a lot of discussion of AI cheating lately and I noticed something while tinkering with some old saves recently. I suspect this is already well-known, just not to me :p. I was doing some trading and sold a government tech -- Democracy, I think. Before the end of the turn, I went to the F3 screen and noticed that the Byzantines (to whom I'd sold Demo) were in anarchy. For educational purposes, I reloaded and, sure enough, at the beginning of the turn on which I sold Demo, the Byzantines were a Republic. It reminded me of the bug that was mentioned in another thread ("scared to death," I think) in which the AI is allowed to break into the player's turn. Apparently, it can go to anarchy on the player's turn, immediately on learning a government tech.

Is this already well-known?

3. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Yes, I knew about that cheat.......Can be useful if you are getting ready to attack them the same turn! (Get them in Anarchy......then attack.)

As you know they can rush a City defender when you declare war, even if its your turn to move (this is reeeeeally annoying when they pop-rush a unit, taking the city from size 2 to size 1!!)........But, I'm not sure if they can do that under Anarchy(?) :)

4. Kumquat

Kumquat Not an Orange

Don't know if these are newbie questions but they do not deserve there own threads. How does disease work? I have 2% and cannot figure out where it is coming from, I have sanitation and no jungle/marsh so I should not have any. Is there a disease building? I am always ranked low in disease and it drives me mad :lol: Also this might be silly but do foreign citizens count towards you pop total?

5. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

Foreign citizens count.

And disease in not only jungles, but floodplains too. So, if some of that is just inside of the borders of your empire, your demographics will show it.

6. KleineHenkie

KleineHenkie Chieftain

where can I find information about the conquest scenario's?

strategy's, tips etc.

I am doing WWII in the pacific and I need some help ;)

7. NickyH

NickyH Bismarck with lipstick…

How does the "randomness" of disease work? According to my experience, it can hardly be X% risk of having disease on every turn. It seems that it comes in periods, and once you get disease on a turn, you usually have it on one or several of the following turns? I guess they could have made it like that in order to emulate plagues in history, when a noticeable part of the population dies?

8. Kumquat

Kumquat Not an Orange

Try the strategies & tips forum I am sure they will help KleineHenkie. I thought sanitation eliminated disease...stupid pedia :( Disease is weird sometimes the city on the floodplain never gets any and other times it gets it 3 turn in a row.

9. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

yes, once disease strikes a city, it will lose 1 population each of the next 2 or 3 turns (I think it's always 3, but I could be wrong...and, of course, you don't lose population if it's already size 1!)

10. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

As long as no one is dying, it isn't really important. The Demographics are kind of pulled out of a hat and have no bearing on how well you are doing. They are a reflection of your play, not something that changes your play. I know there is the urge to play perfectly, but the only way to be number one in all demographics is to kill everyone else.

11. wendyciv

wendyciv Chieftain

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum and have no edia what I'm doing... Question - how do I install EFW files that I have downloaded. Some look very interesting.

12. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I think you can only suffer disease if you work one of those tiles.

13. watorrey

watorrey Deity

What's an EFW file?

14. MAS

MAS Deity

It does have an X% risk per turn, but once a city is diseased, it will last several turns. But I do not know the mechanics that determine how long it lasts. I do know that once teh city starves to size 1, its auto-cured.

The chance is based on how many citizens (plus the city center itself) are working on tiles that bring disease. In the standard epic game they are flood plains, jungle, and swamp.
    The jungle is auto-cleared if you build a city on it so as long as no citizens are actually working the jungle, your jungle towns can be perfectly safe. A city on a flood plain will always be working that one floodplain.
    The tech sanitation removes the disease chance completely.

15. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

I don't recall ever seeing disease strike for more than two turns.
    Also, I think that Sanitation doesn't stop jungle disease; only clearing jungle does that.

16. Vigilantevil

Vigilantevil Chieftain

Hi Guys,

I have tried it a lot more than once already but till now havent find anything clear & precise that could either help me or atleast answer me.

My question is, By any means is it possible in CIV III (any CIV III) to trade untis with other civilizations as it would be the most MEAN & DIPLOMATIC Approach for me to have my allies or poor third world civs to blast my opponents or other super civs out of skies & let me enjoy the clean shots ;)

Imagine playing the US & creating an era of Cold war supplying NUKES & ARMS to our allies & pushing the Russians to play the bad boys :lol:

Also if its not possible in the main game, is there any custome made scenerio that cvan help me out to enjoy this factor???:D

Regards,

V

17. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

Hi, and welcome to posting at CFC. :)

Unfortunately, it's not possible to do what you want to do, in the main game or in a scenario. :(

You might ask in the Creation and Customisation forum, but I'm pretty sure they'll say the same thing.

You can gift resources (assuming you have a trade route) and techs to other civs, then hope that they build the units you want them to have...but it's not the same thing.

18. Vigilantevil

Vigilantevil Chieftain

thnx for the quick response mate! I would definetly ask the configuration guys to have one made.

Kindly let me know one last thing, i m asking this cuz i know i happened to experience this kind of play once i just dont exactly remember where & in which game.

If its not possible in Civ 3 does this mean this mode is not applicable to the rest of the CIV universe?

thnaks!

V

19. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

I'm not sure if I know exactly what you're asking, but here's what I can put in:

You probably experienced that in Civ II. As far as bribing units goes, it's not in Civ III, and it's not in Civ IV, either. However, you can give a gift to AI civs in Civ IV (gift of units.) That is similar, but not the same as bribing, because YOU can't get units out of the AI.

20. NickyH

NickyH Bismarck with lipstick…

If you place workers in your capital, they become available to trade, so you could probably give workers away. Not a huge help to your allies, but at least they will have free slave workers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.