1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

I forgot about trading workers. :blush: You need to have the worker in your capital and to have a city on the same continent as the AI to be able to do that. Conversely (and more usefully) if the AI has workers in their captial and you have a city on the same continent, you can buy their workers.

IIRC, you could give units to other civs in Civ2 under some circumstances.

2. Vigilantevil

Vigilantevil Chieftain

thanks a lot guyz. you really helped me out here though its kinda sad that i cant enjoy this kind of unit trading but anyhow i still have CIV to hammer out the shere fun.

thanks for the input sercer88. I was actually asking for the later part (gifting out or may be selling out powerful units to the AI) but u r right. May be this whole idea of gifting units in CIV 4 made me eager to try it out in CIV 3 :lol:

thanks to all of you once again!

V

3. Vengashii

Vengashii Chieftain

Hiya, back again.

I've always wondered, in the empire stats screen, what the heck does 'Productivity' mean exactly, or whats it measured in?

For that matter, is there a guide to explain the empire stats screen? :p

4. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

Here's a thread I found regarding demographics (empire statistics)

Thread for Demographics.

5. Vengashii

Vengashii Chieftain

Thank you!

6. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

Not a newbie, but I have a very specific question. Will a nuke kill workers? I am in a game where I'm getting nuked repeatedly, and I have no defense. If I put my workers in place to clean up and get nuked again, will they die?

7. RulerOfDaPeople

RulerOfDaPeople Emperor

:D That sounds like a fun game. I've never been in a game like that. (I've only seen nukes used once and it was me who did it to seal a quick conquest victory.)

But when a volcano erupts, it does kill workers so I would think getting nuked does too.

8. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

I'm not positively sure, but I'm 99% sure that they would die, just like military units could die.

9. watorrey

watorrey Deity

Yes, nukes kill workers.

10. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I could send you the save. I am in a no holds barred, nasty genocidal war with Korea with everyone else already eliminated. I'm not far from modern armor, if I can survive that long, and Korea is rich and powerful, with almost all metros. Basically, I'm going to raze anything I capture, unless it has a useful wonder. No need to worry about attitude, reputation, anything like that.

11. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Workers will die, but troops may not die. It depends on the health and defense of the units. If they have 2 hit points they will usually die. I cannot recall any that did not.

I have seen 4 HP warriors die out right, but most units will not. They loss 1/2 of their points. A second strike takes off another half. So most units need to be hit 3 times to die.

All workers will die on the first strike. I am talking about ICBM's now. Rarely use tactics, so I cannot remember them.

12. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

That game will be very painful soon, as global warming will get so numerous. I have had more than 20 warming msgs per turn in a game like that. It was a bit worse as I nuked then more than 200 times.

It was a game some one posted, where the nukes where about to fly. I cannot recall the level but it was low like monarch. I finally cut all the UR and they could not build any more. I waited until they flooded in workers to kill them on the next round. I targeted workers, when ever they have a decent number clustered.

The thing to do with workers, is the same as with troops, disperse them. The AI will tend to pick a few targets and hit them over and over. It likes to nuke places with UR or AL or a lux.

If you have espionage, see if they have used all nukes. If so and none are going to finish soon, then rush in workers to put things back.

I usually can rush in a stack for each tile that was polluted and road/rail/irrigate/mine all in the next turn and then get away from the place as it will get hit again.

13. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

Sounds like fun. Please do post.

14. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

15. Kumquat

Kumquat Not an Orange

Why are you in monarchy? I looked at the first save and Wang didn't declare hmm I told him to get out or declare on the 2nd turn and he left?? You have pikes in your rear parting with that bowman :lol: They should have be upgraded and down in your front line cites. Your play style is so different from mine it was funky to look at!

16. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I ended up in an AW type game because of all the wars, It seemed like everyone declared war continuously and Republic is not an option when you are getting attacked regularly. Revolting at that late date would've been 9 more turns of Wang getting ahead even further. Pangaea can be like that because everyone can get at you. The antique units were cheap MP's, to cover the happiness issues, too expensive to upgrade and only upgrading to junk units. My other modern game vs Korea I am a republic, but still building a strong enough military to take them down. I'm still learning Emperor, still have many bad habits. Refusing demands, not going republic soon enough, not building a fast, lean military, etc. etc.

17. Kumquat

Kumquat Not an Orange

MP's...hmm forgot about those, GL with Korea comrade ;)

18. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

In adition to giving the AIs workers you can "give" them artillery pieces! Here's how:
    1. Move artillery pieces (catapult/cannon/artillery etc.) to the border of an AI city unprotectd.
    2. Declare war on the AI.
    3. Perhaps move the artillery pieces closer to their military units.
    4. They will attack them, causing them to become "owned" by the AI (viz. NOT destroyed as with other military units).
    5. Sue for Peace.
    6. Your potential AI ally now has a stack of artillery pieces. ;)

19. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck King

Just gift them money.

They'll build their own military units.

20. NickyH

NickyH Bismarck with lipstick…

Strange thing… I've given AI techs of any kind when I wanted to help one part in a war, but I've never thought of giving them money. Perhaps that would be a better help in some circumstances?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.