Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes when I drag my cursor to a setter's destination, there is a handy, nine-squared box around it which shows me where my initial city square would lay depending on the location of my cursor. I find it very helpful, but the problem is that it seems to show up on its own accord. Sometime I get it, quite often I don't. Is there any way I can get this neat little visual aid every single time I plot my settler's path?

Thanks in advance!

You won't get the box if the tile is one that will not allow a new city (mountain, volcano, marshland, next to another city, etc)

No, I mean that sometimes I don't get the box at all, regardless of cursor location.

That's a mighty big question. ;)

Can you narrow it down a bit for us?

Like, what is the equation that shows the probability of a unit winning a battle.

No, I mean that sometimes I don't get the box at all, regardless of cursor location.

I get that too, but it only happens when I move the coursor when the settler is inside the city that built it. :confused:

Like, what is the equation that shows the probability of a unit winning a battle.
Here's a Quick Answer:

Download, for example, CivIIICombatCalculator(v1.36) and you'll get the exact percentages for winning a battle.

As for the precise equation, you can see from this utility program that there are many variables.......but I'm sure the equation is kicking, somewhere around the CFC site. :)

Do either city walls or musketman have ZoC? My musketman in city walls just ZoC'd enemy longbow... Do city walls give ZoC?

Hi it's me again playing on warlord level and feel that most of my problems are in me getting a good start so I am trying playing a good few games where I would stop around the industrial age or so. Then start another game where I can try slightly different start stragtey.

Presently I am the sumerians, did the republic sling shot and got the first to get philosphy bonus and a SGL. When I came into contact with other civs I realised how far behind I was in other techs. I was only in contact with two so could only trade up a bit. Is this what would normaly happen with a republic slingshot approach?

I know people here don't like the great libarary, but used my SGL to rush it and have caught up on all the techs. Have explored and found all the other Civs so can now trade techs with them all. Sofar have all the resources I need and been attacked by one agressive civ who just lost loads of units in attacking me. Now have my scientist cranking out new discovers fairly regularly.

I think I have built a reasonably good civ. Have a good mix of miltary units on my border for a planned attack on neighbour (hopefully after I sign some packs with other civs when I get nationalism in a few turns)

I have spotted India will finish Newtons unveristy in 8 turns while I am 15 turns away from it. Is there anything I can do to speed up my wonder production or is that gap at this late stage just to big?

thanks

Hi it's me again playing on warlord level and feel that most of my problems are in me getting a good start ...did the republic sling shot and got the first to get philosphy bonus and a SGL....
Good so far. :goodjob:

3 thoughts:
1. Rush The Pyramids with your SGL
2. Build core cities ASAP
3. Turn Science slider to 100%.

As long as your starting position on the map is reasonable, you won't need to build The GL.......you'll be so far ahead on Techs! ;)

What, if anything, you can do depends on the town that is building it and you worker pool, plus terrain.

The first thing I would do is to see how much food I am making and how large the pop. If you are less than size 12, add workers in now. If any workers would be working on unimproved tiles, get then improved.

Once you have 12 pop, see what tiles are being worked. If you have 24 food and are working the best shield tiles, then you are done. Be sure to see if you have hills or mountains with mines that are worked, if not look to see if you can get enough food to allow them to be worked.

If you know Steam, get rails up on all worked tiles. Run over as many workers as it takes to get it done now. Need I say that you have to mine all worked tiles, unless food is an issue. These should already be in place prior to the wonder getting started.

The reason strong players skip the GLB, is it is not effective in std games, except in Sid and some times Deity. At DG it is obsolete too soon and levels below that, you cannot get tech from it as you already know everything the AI does.

The lower the level the worse the AI is in research. I was doing a test for fast launch on std map Chieftain. I would have to gift at least 10 techs to each nation to get them into the next age. These were all scientific nations, very lame.

Here is how bad they are, I had 50 towns in 300AD, doing 4 turn research and they had from 2 to 7 towns. I did not attack them, except for the Ottoman. I was running out of room and need their space and silks.

I had no more than 10 troops in the empire and took them down in one turn. This is why you do not need the GLB.

Now if you play Always War, then it is a great boon. You get to do zero research and make troops. Still you need to be at AWE or better or on a map with more than the std number of nations.

Can you use blender to create models for CIV III? And is it possible to make flavor units correspond to units that are already in the game normally, simply replacing some of the models for the different civs, without permanently changing anything?

The first thing I would do is to see how much food I am making and how large the pop. If you are less than size 12, add workers in now. If any workers would be working on unimproved tiles, get then improved.

Once you have 12 pop, see what tiles are being worked. If you have 24 food and are working the best shield tiles, then you are done. Be sure to see if you have hills or mountains with mines that are worked, if not look to see if you can get enough food to allow them to be worked.

If you know Steam, get rails up on all worked tiles. Run over as many workers as it takes to get it done now. Need I say that you have to mine all worked tiles, unless food is an issue. These should already be in place prior to the wonder getting started.

Thanks vmxa. In the end I rushed reserach in Industialisation and switched to unverisal sufferage so I wouldn't loose out.

Have a hunderd turns left in the game and ahead in score, next time war kicks off with Portugal I should finish them off (at least on the mainland), giving me clear axcess to attack India which should give me a domination victory. It's been a real war like map everyone seams to be always in fights often against two other civs.

As long as I keep france in check. The only civ with a signifcant miltary and slightly ahead in techs, This should be my first warlord victory in civ 3.

Are histography victories looked down on? Should I really be pushing for a full out victory condition?

Are histography victories looked down on? Should I really be pushing for a full out victory condition?

Nope, sure it is not as popular as domination or conquest/space race victories, but alot depends of Players opinion. I for an example hate diplomatic and domination victory, but I have played games wherein I chose
diplomatic/domination path to win.

What is important, is that YOU like the victory type that you chose. Also important is that You pwnd Ai :)

cool just wondering were they viewed as second division victories. As I am fairly new to civ 3 from civ 2 I have mainly been playing for the new victory conditions. I love the UN vote

Domination wouldn't be my usual style but with all the fighting on this map sofar I think I may go for it, I have some scores to settle.

So it's 1995 in my game and I have 70% of the land and 56% of the people Isn't hat not enough to give me a domination victory?

Why hasn't it ended now? Does the game still play out all the turns?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom