Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Can I get rid of all that campaign junk from my game or will it mess up something?

2. is there a way to restore the Hall of Fame as it was in Vanilla. Who are these people to tell me what constitutes a win? :mad:

Darski, do you mean the scenarios like Age of Discovery and World War 2 in the Pacific that come with Civ3 Complete? If so, I think that you can move them out of the game folder without harm, as they are self-contained, and is many cases have units unique to that scenario.

Not sure about Hall of Fame. My guess it that you would not be able to do so. However, it is possible to have both Civilization 3 Vanilla and Civilization 3 Complete loaded and running on the same computer, at least for Macs. The Vanilla version is actually included in Civ3 Complete in the Windows version. You just need to locate it in the various file folders. I think that you can move your old Hall of Fame into that, and still play the Vanilla version. I would have to play a bit with my Windows box to be sure of that.

If I park a naval unit (ie: privateer, while at war or not at war) or a galley, for example (while at war) on a fish or whale in the workable radius of an AI city, will that cause them to not be able to work that fish (and potentially starve the city to some degree)?

If I park a naval unit (ie: privateer, while at war or not at war) or a galley, for example (while at war) on a fish or whale in the workable radius of an AI city, will that cause them to not be able to work that fish (and potentially starve the city to some degree)?

It is same as with land blockades, AI will reassign workers to best squares(in ITS opinion) so you have to be careful if town has harbor (2 fpt from water) which means no starving will happen(one citizen eats 2 food per turn). But blocking whales &/ fish in rocky area, if city has no harbor or you manage to block all squares, will starve city.

BTW, Privateers will most likely get beaten up, as any AI heads for these babies to wipe 'em out.

Doh! just read the small print in the UN victory. To have a vote a civ needs to have at least 25% land or population. In my game Spain only has one city so probably won't be able to swing the vote to me. Leaving me tied with France. There goes that idea. Is there away to check what % population Spain has before the UN is finished being built?

I am just 6% of population shy of a domination victory. Am bousting the population of all my recently aquired small cities but it propbably won't be enough before the end of the game to swing it as it's 1995 now. I so shouldn't have gifted sanatation to France to keep it happy.

For domination victory once I get the 66% of population is victory call straight away or do I have to have it for x amount of turns?

If my war is purely about getting the extra 6% of population should I just go for a scorched earth policy of razing their captured cities and bombing their cities down to size. Or should I try and boust my numbers at the same time by trying to hold their captured cities? Are resistors counted as part of my 66%?

Thanks

So Spain no matter how small will get the vote in the UN? I just have to keep them sweet. It's just canadaties that have to be over 25%. So Spain will have to vote for me (Sumaria) or France as it won't be able to be a candiate.

I may just give them a city on one of my islands to stop France from being able to kill them and hanging the UN vote

Give them a lousy tundra or hill town that you can guard, ally them against france, and on the next vote, you win

What is Civ 3 Vanilla? Is it the regular Civilization 3 game without any expansion packs? and why does it seem that everyone hates it?

And, do the WWII in the Pacific and Age of Discovery scenarios come WITH Civ 3 Complete?

Yes, Vanilla is Civ3 with no expansions. I think that people generally prefer to play with the expansions, it's not so much that they hate vanilla. Personally I feel that the rule changes in C3C make it a lot better that PTW and vanilla.

As far as I know, Civ3 Complete is vanilla+PTW+C3C, in other words it should contain those two scenarios, as they are part of the "conquests" scenarios.

From what I remember about Civ Complete contains all three versions patched to their final level with all of the additional scenarios that came with C3C. I seem to remember that the additional units (WWII & Dinosaurs) that came with PTW were no included (though I could be confusing this with the C3C release). The are however available for free download from the Civ Fanatics site.

Quick reminder, please:
I can't remember after learning Nationalism what War economy/mobilization does for you and what its constraints are.

Thanks!

Mobilization limits you to building military type buildings and military units. Once in mobilization, you have to make a peace deal to get out of it. The benefits are that you get extra shields for units that have attack and defense values. For example, a tank might take 5 turns in normal times but under mobilization will only take 3 or even 2 turns. Be careful using it, it is very limiting. If you are in a fight for survival, it can make the difference.

Thanks guys for all your patience in answering my questions got my first warlord victory last night and learned loads from the game.

UN vote, which is how I won a lot of the games on chiefdom level, may switch it off in my next game to force me in a different direction

$%^&! I lost a city to culture flip with an army I had healing up in it!
Anyone know if an army counts as 1 unit or 3 or 4 (for a 3 unit army) when it comes to holding against culture flip?

Armies should only be parked for 1 IBT in any newly captured town, as they are most prone to flips while resistance is high. Get a good defender in there ASAP and never use armies to quell resistance beyond that first IBT. I've lost a few armies that way. Also, enemies will attack an army in a city regardless of its health, and you'd be surprised how weak an army can be on defense. Save yourself some pain, get those armies to safety.

Yeah, if you do not expect a counter attack at that town, put in a cheap unit to try to reduce resistance. Let the army sit next to it. Then it does not get attacked, unless very weak and can retake the town, if it flips.

Don't try to get slick and have pop as science or tax or working, if flip danger, make them jokers.

Yeah, if you do not expect a counter attack at that town, put in a cheap unit to try to reduce resistance. Let the army sit next to it. Then it does not get attacked, unless very weak and can retake the town, if it flips.

Don't try to get slick and have pop as science or tax or working, if flip danger, make them jokers.

I was hoping to get use out of the barracks the enemy AI made.

How does using entertainers help against culture flips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom