Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I swear back in the day I used to play Civ 3 on a Standard size map with 18 Civs. I liked it because it was a lot of border tension which led to a lot of fun wars. Well, I'm trying to relive some of my old Civ 3 fun and I can't for the life of me figure out how to add more AI players to a Standard size map. Did I download a mod or something? How can I get a lot of civs on a smaller map?

I swear back in the day I used to play Civ 3 on a Standard size map with 18 Civs. I liked it because it was a lot of border tension which led to a lot of fun wars. Well, I'm trying to relive some of my old Civ 3 fun and I can't for the life of me figure out how to add more AI players to a Standard size map. Did I download a mod or something? How can I get a lot of civs on a smaller map?
Could your memory be playing tricks on you?

An unmodded Standard map has 8 civs; I think a Huge is only 14.

Could your memory be playing tricks on you?

An unmodded Standard map has 8 civs; I think a Huge is only 14.

I swear I did it. It must have been some sort of mod. Now I have to track down that mod...

Edit: Nice avatar! :D

Edit 2: You're making me second guess my memory here but I'm 90% certain I did it.

You have to modify the biq. Just be sure to save it under a new name so you don't affect your regular game. In order to alter the biq, y9ou have to go into properties and remove the read only tag and then put it back when you are finished.

the Civ numbers can be altered in the "world sizes" window.

You have to modify the biq. Just be sure to save it under a new name so you don't affect your regular game. In order to alter the biq, y9ou have to go into properties and remove the read only tag and then put it back when you are finished.

the Civ numbers can be altered in the "world sizes" window.

Thank you! I knew I wasn't crazy! (I might still be, but at least not on this subject)

You are welcome... And you will find your new game in "Civ Content" so make the name memorable. Yah know... I'm guessing on that but it sounds like what I did... once.

I ended up just modifying the default conquests.biq and changing the Tiny option (a size I never play) to match the Standard options in all but Civ size. We'll see how this works out.

Is it possible/worth it to build the Pyramids on Emperor and above?

Possible, yes. Worth it? Hmmm, depends on what you're going for. If you run a high risk of wasting a lot of shields because the AI's also building it then don't, just train more troops so you can then take the Pyramids.

Possible, yes. Worth it? Hmmm, depends on what you're going for. If you run a high risk of wasting a lot of shields because the AI's also building it then don't, just train more troops so you can then take the Pyramids.

Words to live by!!! Although I prefer the term "appropriate".

:old:

City names folder in Civ 3 ... where is it ? I want to change the city names.

Also can terrain be changed like in Civ 2

Any good utilities out there that work on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit without a lot or any fuss?

City names folder in Civ 3 ... where is it ? I want to change the city names.

Also can terrain be changed like in Civ 2

Any good utilities out there that work on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit without a lot or any fuss?

You can have your choice of many terrain mods that are not hard to install.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=47260

take your pick ;)

I know that the city names are in a text file but I'm no longer sure where that is kept.

The city names? You can change them in the editor, under each civ's tab.

The city names? You can change them in the editor, under each civ's tab.

I am not sure what you mean by "the editor, under each civ's tab. "

I know that when you create a city you can change the name in the text editor box but that is not what I want. I want the text folder with the names of the cities like they had in Civ 2 so that I can go in and change the names to what I want one time and that will become the new list. Civ 2 had a text folder called "citynames" (I think that is was it was named) Where is this folder that the new city pulls from when naming a new city.

Also is there an engineer function like in Civ 2 to change terrain types. I know there is no engineer just workers but can the worker ever change the terrain to be able to get the desert to grassland?

Thanks for your help.

mesaarizona: there is an editor that comes with the game. In that editor, you can edit the rules. When you edit each civ, there is a city list, in which you type in the names of your cities.

But you can chop down forests and jungles and drain swamps.

Hey,

I have a question .. I have seen that Steam sells Civ III complete version ... .

Does anyone know what exactly you get for that ? And do I need to be connected to the internet to play civ III then or can I play it offline like Civ II ?

Top Bottom