Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. darski

darski Regent in Training

You're welcome - I had to ask that ? myself :lol:

2. darski

I need to access the "keep res= " to set my game.

where do I find it and do I need =1 or =0 ? to widen the display

3. Everkane

Everkane Valar Morghulis

In Conquests, go to conquests.ini and search for the line KeepRes and put KeepRes=1. If there is no such line, insert it in any place (I particularly put mine at the bottom, under the WindowsFileBox=0 line).

In PTW you may do the same thing in the ptw.ini file.

In Vanilla I have no idea.

4. darski

thank you - I never remember this :rolleyes:

5. darski

Ok, stupid Win8 won't let me... how do I gain access?

6. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

In the following video I add KeepRes=1 and a couple of other things to the conquests.ini file. Unless you followed my Win7/Civ3 install guide in my sig your folder location will be in a different place, likely c:\program files (x86)\Infrogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\ .

However, if you installed in that default location you may have trouble editing the file because Vista, 7 and 8 protect the program folders and use something called VirtualStore for modified files. I won't try to explain it here, but I'll just say your configuring, modding and biq-loading life would be much easier if you uninstalled the game and then reinstall it in a custom location as shown in my install video or as suggested by a few others.

Link to video.

7. Kirejara

Kirejara King

Wow, this is really helpful! :thumbsup:

Finally I can use my screen resolution in Civ3.

BTW: Is there a list with all commands for the INI?

Thanks!

8. darski

@ Puppeteer...

Sorry, I can't uninstall. I have been trying to do so for the last week. I tried to set up a second Civ as you suggested but it just went to the original install.

My first choice for dealing with this involves a garbage can.

ETA: interestingly with a re-install I got my water colour terrain but the old interface. :think:

9. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Oh dear, Windows 8 must really suck... I hope my good old computer that can still run WinXP will live forever... :please:

Anyway, the garbage can won't help: the game most probably created some registry entries during installation, and getting rid of those requires a Windows guru... And as long as they are there, the computer "remembers" where this program belongs and will always try to start from there (even if the files are no longer there... :mischief:)
    I had that problem once, when I tried to install two versions of C3C on my computer, the English and the German version. Just couldn't get it to work... One of them refused to start entirely, the other one started but had strange problems...

But there should be a way to edit your conquest.ini:
    • locate the notepad.exe on your computer (on XP it's in C:\Windows. Hope in Win8 it's still there...)
    • right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator"
    • then from the menu choose "File -> Open" and open your conquest.ini.
    • now you should be able to edit and even save that file...!

10. darski

It did occur to me that I might be able to get to the Notepad file to work with it. I'll give it a try tomorrow... had enough of that thing today.
    Thank you for your help on this... it helped others it seems :)

11. Rickard77

Rickard77 Chieftain

Spend money on the military in the beginning, Cause if you build wonders and city improvements, the enemy will get stronger at the time. I dont know if Al cheats but if you are playing careful at the beginning, theres no use because your enemy will gain power while you take it easy.

Build a lot of Archers, find horses and iron and build swordsmen and horsemen. Also produce a lot of spearmen because those will help you in defending. If you do not have iron or horses, build alot of archers together with spearmen. They will do the work!

12. Lanzelot

For most difficulty levels and victory conditions, this is nonsense.
    a) For a 20K victory or a science game you have to build lots of city improvements and wonders...
    b) On difficulty levels below Deity, spearmen are completely useless. I never build them.
    c) If you play carefully at the beginning, you will gain power over the AI up to Demigod level. (Even though the AI "cheats" at Monarch or higher.) (If the AI gains power over you on those levels, you have been taking it too easy... ;) Or you had a tundra start.)
    Deity and Sid is different; here I agree.

13. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd King

Rickard, I rarely build many spearmen. I'd rather use a stronger attack unit to head off an AI assault than defend in my cities.
    City imporvements should be built if they'll help your overall empire. An early barracks in a productive core city allowing future units to be veteran is a reasonable early build. A grannary, although expensive, built in a food and shield rich city can allow faster production of settlers and workers allowing faster early expansion which can really help.
    I agree that if the AI is near or the barbarians are abundant, a milatary build up may be necessary at the start. I alos love to send out warriors to scout out the neighborhood early and meet the nearby civs, but I try to balance milatary, city imporvements and settlers/workers. The competing needs is what I find makes the game so fun and addictive.

14. Rickard77

Rickard77 Chieftain

Lanzelot & Splunge the 2nd: Sometimes I think that different strategies works for different players. I have an old friend that conqueres the enemy with quite few units. When I play, even at an easy level as warlord. I have to produce a hell lot of units to even get a good resistance/defense.

Maybe Im using wrong technique/strategy.

15. Everkane

Everkane Valar Morghulis

I'm not sure there is a "wrong strategy" since you are winning but you will find some trouble in harder levels and mostly in different victory conditions.

When I've read your post I thought about saying something but I just let it go, but since some people here decided to give it some credit I may say there are more effectives paths and a way more things to considerate when you start a game.

I recommend you to read some articles here then you will know what I'm talking about.

16. Lanzelot

Yes, read a bit in the War Academy. Also in the "Succession Games" or "Training Day Games" sections there is lots of instructive stuff for a variety of different strategies and victory conditions, from peaceful builder victory to ultra-sharp warmonger victory...

17. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Rickard, first, the bottom line is to enjoy playing the game. Everyone has a different style and strategy. What works well for some other person may not work well for you or fit your style of game play.

A lot can depend on what type of map you are working on, how large it is, how many civilizations are on it, and what sort of civilization they are. I like either continent or archipelago maps with lots of water and a limited number of civilizations so that I can develop in peace, and have the AI spread out as well. I tend to large to huge or larger custom maps. It sounds like you are on Pangaea maps, so you might want to try some of the other variants.

As for the AI cheating, that has been hotly debated for as long as I have been on the forum, and long before. I suspect that it does, but proving it is difficult. I assume that it does, and play accordingly. I.E., I try to stack the deck in my favor with custom-made maps. I find that is my enjoyable way to play the game. Others play the standard game. Play around with the editor a bit too, and also check out some of the custom maps in the Creation and Customization forum.

Again, find a style of play that you are comfortable with and enjoy, and then have fun with what I still view as just about the best computer game out, Civilization 3 Complete.

18. Rickard77

Rickard77 Chieftain

I always play at continents or archipelago, with 70% water. I use large map, and choose only 3-4 opponents. No matter if I begin with building wonders, improvements or start with producing a lot of soldiers. Sooner or later I have to attack the nearest opponent, becuase he is stealing all the land and resources. Sometimes of course they attack me first.

I alwaya have to attack very early in the game, before my opponent grow stronger, which he does very fast even att warlord level. When I built my army and sending them to attack, it shows that my opponent has almost an unlimited amount of soldiers, coming from "nowhere". I begin to wonder if there is a bug in my game (Civilization III Complete), that makes even the easy levels hard.

The only times I succe is when I attack at a very early stage, when my opponent only have 2 or 3 cities. If i wait longer I must spend the rest of the game (almost) defending and attacking, if i not make peace with them. It ends up with that my civ and the civ im at war with becomes the least developed civs, while 1 or 2 civs on the other continents is far ahead in technology and military size.

19. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

What difficulty level do you play in, O seafaring raider from Uppsala?

20. Theov

Theov Deity

If you start up the game the same time every time, you're going to run into the same problems a lot ;)

It's like telling the same story, I love it to change the game or set everything on random to surprise and challenge me.

But ehm.. yeah, if you play on a large map with 3/4 opponents, then one or the other is going to grow big. Yes. The AI is just keeps growing like a plague. You best chances are to slow em down early or hit them ferociously later. If you let them run away, they will. Especially on higher levels.