1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. eXalted

eXalted Chieftain

Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate it! Now I get it, only one more question to make things clearer:

In other words my resources can use the Harbor of Byzantium even though I don't have Rights of Passage with them, because they are connected to other Civ that I have such rights with them?

2. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

Trade links don't require a Right of Passage treaty, they do require that you are not at war with anyone along the chain of roads/ports/airports linking them.

What the Right of Passage treaty does do is prevent either civ from making complaints about or expelling foreign units placed in their own soil.

3. Theov

Theov Deity

It has nothing to do with ROP.

Trade routes can be along the coast if you have harbors and if you have the tech then also over sea and ocean. (Astronomy for sea and either Navigation or Magnetism for ocean squares).
    Any connected Roads do the same. As long as there's a Road to the city and the path does not go through a city you're at war with, then you're good. Units you're at war with will break up this route though, so watch it if a friendly tribe goes to war and you're dependent on the route. (doesn't happen much though)

So yes, if you or a non-war civ has a not-interrupted trade line to any city, then the resources will reach the city. See it as merchantmen who are trying to trade the goods. If the cities they go through are friendly, then no problem. If there's a rival unit or city on the path or along the coast, breaking up the route, then there's no trade route anymore to the city.

It quite a complex thing, but it makes sense.

4. Takhisis

What I don't remember right now is whether Trade Embargoes could stop trade or not.

5. Theov

Theov Deity

You mean that if the Route is A -> B -> C. (A, you, is trading with C through B) And then B has a trade embargo against A or C??
    :D:D

I don't think this will block it, but I'm not sure.
    It rarely ever happens that you need the route anyway so far in the game, as by the time trade embargoes come along, trade routes over sea have taken over.

6. ahman

ahman Warlord

Barbarians break it too, both land and sea units. I've had half of my cities go into civil disorder because a barb warrior stepped onto the road between my two rings in PTW, and trade agreements broken when a barb galley entered a one tile choke point. Guard these or make more routes to have redundancy.

7. eXalted

eXalted Chieftain

Oh, thanks for the detail explanation. I was a lot simpler (and wrong) in my head.

Yeah, it happened to me often - an enemy unit breaks the only path to a resource. It seems the AI has big affinity of breaking those, or it's just my bad play :lol:

Thinking it's time to jump to Monarch but I'm afraid that the meta game will change dramatically and I won't be ready for it :shifty: But it will be a challenge that I look forward to.

8. Takhisis

Indeed I do, my kind lowlander peer.
    And given that the AI usually starts trade embargoes as preliminaries to war… blocakdes will be easily and legally broken afterwards :mwaha:

9. Theov

Theov Deity

I found the jump to Monarch quite doable. The enemy continent had been in a constant War-a-trois, so that made life easier when I found them.

10. eXalted

eXalted Chieftain

After just finishing my current game (that resulted in only me and Ghandi on the map and nuking the hell outta him... the irony) I'm thinking of jumping to Monarch.

This is something that I like in Civ III compared to the newest V. The AI seems to have much more affinity to war and occasionally makes big armies when attacking and not just a handful of units that get killed in a few turns. Or it is just me :crazyeye:

I've never played with the AI aggressiveness options - does it have big effect on the game?

11. darski

darski Regent in Training

I have an interesting situation in my games in that I cannot trade resources and luxuries. The other Civs can still do so but they don't show up on my Diplomacy screen. I haven't done anything to my game recently so I am wondering what may have caused this or how to fix it ???(without a complete re-install.

I also started a new game to see if that would fix it but it's still no go. :sad:

12. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I don't think it's the installation. Must be something in the game itself. Can you post the two saves?

13. Theov

Theov Deity

did you do anything in the editor or got a mod?

14. darski

I have modded the game but it has been so since forever. The game before I discovered this problem was working perfectly. Any game I have tried since is not working even after a complete re-install.

15. darski

I no longer have those games as I did a reinstall after wiping everything including save.

I do have the save for a game started after the reinstall - which means no mods of any sort- and the trades are not present.

It is my recollection that even stuff that is not available - like resources and luxes- appear in the menu to begin the game.

I hope the save travels as the comp with the game is not on the net.

Attached Files:

16. walletta

walletta King

Not a question and this is the wrong thread but I just had a city wiped out by a volcano. LOL :D

17. Theov

Theov Deity

[edit] I had another game running already, causing the graphic glitch. [/edit]
    I've played a few turns and I can trade with the other tribes.

There are some things to keep in mind before you can trade.
    - have more than one recourse connected to your capital.
    - have a trade route to the AI's capital
    - and some others

18. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I can open the save just fine.
    But: there aren't any resources connected to your capital yet. In that case they can't be traded yet and consequently don't appear in the F4 screen. I played two more turns until the wine town was connected to the capital and then the wines showed up in F4 just fine:

See, it wasn't necessary to do a reinstall... ;) This is just normal behavior: only resources connected to the capital can be traded.

However, I noticed something very strange: the game is a single player game, but the workers behave like they do in multiplayer games?!? :confused:
    (What I mean by this: the worker currently building the road to Bottles Hills says "3 turns" when clicking on it. But the road is already finished after 2 turns and the worker then stays immobile for the third turn. Same bug as in PBEM and Hotseat games. Is this perhaps due to the mod you mentioned?!?)

19. darski

I've never noticed this... will look for it.

I do have my game up and running since the restart and I was able to add in all my mods with no trouble. The re-install did the trick.

Thank you for taking the time with this.

20. darski

You are correct. I never paid much attention to when items came available on the diplomacy screen. However, in the game that caused me to discover the problem I was in the 1200's and had lots of resources and luxes that I wanted to use for MA's. Mine were not on the board but other civs kept offering me lux trades.

Note: it has been my experience that you do not need to have a route to the Capitol for the option to appear in the trade window... the stuff is just greyed out and not available.

Thank you for taking the time with this question. It's all better now :lol: