Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Given that the AI diplomacy is broken, the UN is notoriously difficult to attain on any reasonable difficulty level. Try cultural if you don't like Conquest/Elimination.

Or Wonders…

I've designed a scenario and enjoy playing it. The only problem I have is that it doesn't create a local Hall of Fame entry. Is there any way that I can get my score recorded? All I want to do is see if I can beat my previous record.

Only way I know is to save your scenario as replacement of the original conquest.biq (make a backup first!).

As far as I know no scenarios enter the Hall of Fame of CIV3.

There is a Hall of Fame (CampaignRecord.hof) that lists the 9 official scenarios - "1 Mesopotamia" to "9 WWII in the Pacific". If anyone knows the format, I can hack it. Each scenario occupies 344 (hex) bytes containing the name and some control values.

I'll try adding what looks like a reasonable record for my scenario at the end.

You're using a hex editor, right?

Where is the file that contains my "Hall of Fame" records? I know edited it years ago. I want to remove duplicates.

For the epic game? They're more or less the same, although some UUs can give you a tremendous edge, depending on the kind of map, e.g. Hoplites, Immortals, Ansar Warriors, Riders, on land maps, or those blasted Dromons in water maps with lots of islands.

Dio mio! So many posters who are now gone!

what do the numbers mean in parenthesis next to the attack numbers in units. archers for example.

why can certain units get in attack in if they are defending a city?

It's the Bombard stat. Some units can use it as an active ability, and the maximum number of hit points they can take off from the unit they bombard with one use of the ability is called the Rate of Fire (ROF). To nerf artillery a bit, some units can use 'lethal bombardment', i.e. they can kill the target if they take enough hit points, but the rest have their ROF capped at the target's number of HP minus one.
The number of times you can use a unit's bombard ability is the same number of 'normal' attacks you could make with it.

As a passive ability: if a unit attacks a tile in which there is a unit with bombard ability other than the one being attacked, the unit with bombard will first use a bombard attack (assuming that it hasn't used up all its movement points) and then the fight will go on.

The Escape from Zombie Island series of scenarios uses this mechanic to completely rework how Civ is played: hordes of Zombies attack your units, who shoot them and retreat.

The AI is notoriously poor at using the Bombard ability, though, except with planes.

how do you skip troop movement animation and still keep it selected in preferences?

i have seen it done in lets plays.

You hold down Shift. Be careful, because in Windows one of the horsehockyf keys (the right one IIRC) can trigger something if held down for more than 5 seconds.

1. Do AI cities get hit by desease? I somehow always end up last in that stat on the final table.

2. Does corruption apply to those 10 shields after forest cutting?

2. No, you can chop forests down and get all 10 shields. But you can't replant the trees and cut them down again. Planting forests is a good way of managing borders with unruly neighbours, as they'll slow down any invasion attempts.

Never really checked on it, but I would not be shocked to learn that the ai does not put citizens on marshes and swamps. Hence, they would have less disease. Humans will not be so careful, most of the time.

1. Do AI cities get hit by desease? I somehow always end up last in that stat on the final table.

2. Does corruption apply to those 10 shields after forest cutting?
1 no idea, never paid attention to it
2 no. the shields are just added to the build-box of the thing you're building at the moment.
So what i do in highly corrupted cities is the following if it says that it's only 2 more turns until it grows, I buy a granary.
Then I chop as many trees as possible for the next production (usually a library if I need to expand the borders.) And then buy that after the trees are chopped.

Top Bottom