Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

ı remember a game , cornered into part of the map with nowhere to sail and can't even build units with poor geography . ı think ı got two leaders one from a spearman and one from a pikeman .

For triggering GA should be enough simply capturing couple of specific trait wonders, or last wonder MUST be build on own?

Say, I'm german on Deity. I already captured GrWall and my neighboor owns (by capturing too btw) GrLib in adjacent city. Should I declare on this neighboor for sake of GA?

The code checks for traits whenever you build a wonder so you must build a wonder in order to trigger a GA. However, it also means that the wonder you build does not need to have any of your traits. You may get them from other wonders you conquered beforehand.

Thank you very much!

So, getting GA on deity by wonders is not a trivial task. :think:

I am sure that you can build some Panzers and, say, conquer France or the Netherlands?

Certainly, but too long shot for GOTM with deadline in two weeks. So I still hope for completing wonder in middle MA.

As this is my first game on deity I'm impressed (in bad way) by Ais capabilities of research & culture & wonder building. Completely dunno how culture games can win here in fair way.

Sorry, I didn't know it was a GotM.

Well, another newbie deity question: why in freshly flipped cities my enemies always have TWO unfortified spearman? Are they actually buying that second unit ibt (they are in Republic)? If so, do they actually spend money for it?

Are those cities of yours flipping to AI control, or AI cities flipping into your control?

As far as I recall, in both cases there's a preset amount of units you get, and I think it relates to city size. Emphasis on ‘think’.

Flips to my enemy. All samples relates to town-size settlements (<6).

IIRC in my previous games below Deity level there always be one defender in case of flip. So for recapturing on-same-turn was enough to station one med adjacent, plus one fast moving unit nearby (for safety purpose).

Well, another newbie deity question: why in freshly flipped cities my enemies always have TWO unfortified spearman? Are they actually buying that second unit ibt (they are in Republic)? If so, do they actually spend money for it?

Yes. It is more obvious in case of poprushing.

As far as I recall, in both cases there's a preset amount of units you get, and I think it relates to city size. Emphasis on &#8216;think&#8217;.

I doubt that. As i recall it it works like this:

1. At flip a standard unit is created.
2. If possible AI will rush a second defender, if barracks apply it will be veteran.
3. If the desired amount of defenders is still not met AI will try to draft.

The later only works above town size, further the amount af draftable units per turn depends on government. Anarchy cannot draft, Republic and democracy can draft once per turn, all else can draft twice per turn.

I used to think that it depends on difficulty level (i.e. starting with Deity, they get two units per flip), but I guess the difference is simply that on lower levels they cannot afford to buy the second unit, while on Deity they usually have enough cash lying around... :crazyeye:

Another 1p city flips (reverted) to same civ, but this time they are demoted to island tribe, don't have much money and so only 1 spearman appears.

Btw, CA2 tells about 0.1-0.1%% flip chance here. I think something wrong with it's formula: not for a first time cities with extremely minimal chances (<=0.2%) by CA2 flips from me. :(

Well, if you have 100 towns with 0.2% chance for 100 turns you still end up with 20 flips. Seems allright. Donnot let small figures fool you.

I'm wondering if the Civ 3 program gives you a "Mulligan" when you capture a foreign city!?....IOW, does the captured city have ZERO chance of a flip on the turn it is captured? (I don't remember a city-flip-on-the-first-turn happening to me).

Would be good to know a definitive answer to this question so, if it's risk-free, one can pile in military units into freshly captured cities, thus increasing your chances of eliminating resistance and staging for "frontline" attacks next turn!?

IIRC, when a city flips, any military units/ships in the city will be lost!? :)

I have no definite proof, but I read somewhere on this forum, that in the first turn after capture a city cannot flip.
However, it can definitely flip on the second turn...: I once put 2-3 Armies into a freshly captured town with barracks, so they could heal completely on the following turn. (The temptation to continue the full scale attack after only one "waiting" turn was just too big... :mischief:) Of course the town flipped the following turn :)

Never seen that before or after again. I guess the game just punishes you for so much greed... :D

Would be good to know a definitive answer to this question so, if it's risk-free, one can pile in military units into freshly captured cities, thus increasing your chances of eliminating resistance and staging for "frontline" attacks next turn!?
As I assume there is no another tactic. Except razing. So if "first turn immunity" really doesn't work I better throw this game away.

IIRC, when a city flips, any military units/ships in the city will be lost!? :)
Exactly. Just vanish into nowhere. A big designer's fault imo.

The first turn is risk free, at least in terms of flipping to the civ you took the city from. If a third civ is involved veryfing that it is still free of flip risk may be difficult as such situations themselves are rare.

Certainly, but too long shot for GOTM with deadline in two weeks. So I still hope for completing wonder in middle MA.

As this is my first game on deity I'm impressed (in bad way) by Ais capabilities of research & culture & wonder building. Completely dunno how culture games can win here in fair way.

you practically play two games for culture wins on high levels: first you need to win militarily and THEN you win by the culture VC you choose. no way to do it another way normally.

t_x

Certainly for 100k, but what about 20k? One need some wonders pretty fast, and getting these on deity can be accomplished only by early and hardcore leader milking, which I think not very 'fair' process.

Top Bottom