Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

IIRC it's F8 for the Wonder screen.
Very late indeed.... No, it's F7 for Wonders.

F8 is the victory-conditions and histographs, F9 for... demographics(?), F10 for the Spaceship.

Go to bed, Takh! ;) :sleep:

I was up later than that for the lunar eclipse, but that's it. I can't do that every single night.

I downloaded a graphical mod, and many units of the First World War, wanted to know where to put them, because I want to use them when I make my scenarios. Some help here?

Very late indeed.... No, it's F7 for Wonders.

F8 is the victory-conditions and histographs, F9 for... demographics(?), F10 for the Spaceship.

Go to bed, Takh! ;) :sleep:

You will also want to ensure that you have the box checked in preferences, so that you get notifications when one of the AI starts a wonder. If you're also building that wonder, you may use "Investigate City" on the Espionage screen to check on their progress: number of shields per turn, and the forecast for how many turns remaining.

You will also want to ensure that you have the box checked in preferences, so that you get notifications when one of the AI starts a wonder. If you're also building that wonder, you may use "Investigate City" on the Espionage screen to check on their progress: number of shields per turn, and the forecast for how many turns remaining.
Indeed, this can help with planning - if only a couple turns behind, to help speed production of your own if possible. If not, perhaps sabotage of the AI's production can help (I've only been able to use that on one occasion, but it worked just enough for me to get a turn ahead).

Ctrl + P for preferences, people!
I downloaded a graphical mod, and many units of the First World War, wanted to know where to put them, because I want to use them when I make my scenarios. Some help here?
Each scenario can have its own folder(s) and will draw on the mainline (i.e. Firaxis-provided) main folder otherwise. There should be some tutorials around.

Never encountered this before ... once a wonder becomes obsolete, does it continue to accumulate culture points? I have already discovered Education, but ToA is still under construction. Is it now completely worthless and I should switch to something else? Going for a 60K Cultural victory (Tiny map, Mayans, Regent).

AFAIK, only the 'Building effects' of a Wonder go obsolete. So if you (now) know Edu, then no, you won't get the Free-Temples from ToA.

But (again, AFAIK), A Wonder's 'Cultural value' doesn't go obsolete. So if you built it, you should be able to accumulate Culture from it.

That said, though, only the ToA's Free-Temple Culture would really have been useful for a 60K game. Is it too late for you to pivot to a 20K attempt instead...?

AFAIK, only the 'Building effects' of a Wonder go obsolete. So if you (now) know Edu, then no, you won't get the Free-Temples from ToA.
I knew there would be no free temples ... was something whether it would be worth it to bother finishing ToA at all. Still thinking about it.
That said, though, only the ToA's Free-Temple Culture would really have been useful for a 60K game. Is it too late for you to pivot to a 20K attempt instead...?
I'm not sure ... I've never done a 20K Cultural game, just a Civ-wide.

If you have something else useful to build, I'd switch. If not, I suppose 4 cpt is better than nothing. You won't get the temples, but you will get the 4 cpt and you may get tourist money later.

20k is not difficult, if you want to consider switching. What else cultural have you built in the ToA town? What turn is it?

If you have something else useful to build, I'd switch.
I did decide to switch. Decided Copernicus' Observatory in 2 turns would be better than ToA in 6, and I just let go of ToA (i.e., did not have another town build it).
20k is not difficult, if you want to consider switching. What else cultural have you built in the ToA town? What turn is it?
Turn #135. I have wonders as follows:

Chichen Itza: Gr.Library; Oracle; Gr.Wall; SunTzu's; Sistine; building Leo's, done in 4 ... culture is currently 2047 @ 44cpt
Copan: Pyramids; HangingG.; Colossus; building Newton's, done in 2
Palenque: Mausoleum of Mausollos
Tikal: Gr.Lighthouse
Yaxchilan: Copernicus' (this is where I was building ToA)
Abydos: building Kn.Templar (done in 20), will probably build Shakespeare's instead after I finish Free Artistry

French have ToA & Zeus, and are building Kn.Templar

Never encountered this before ... once a wonder becomes obsolete, does it continue to accumulate culture points? I have already discovered Education, but ToA is still under construction. Is it now completely worthless and I should switch to something else? Going for a 60K Cultural victory (Tiny map, Mayans, Regent).
It does still produce culture, but all other effects (save its being a tourist attraction) will be lost.
4 culture per turn is good. Taking the temple away from the AI (especially if it doesn't have Education yet) is better, but if you have a newer wonder to build it's probably better to switch. Especially if the newer one is Copernicus' Observatory.

It does still produce culture, but all other effects (save its being a tourist attraction) will be lost.
4 culture per turn is good. Taking the temple away from the AI (especially if it doesn't have Education yet) is better, but if you have a newer wonder to build it's probably better to switch. Especially if the newer one is Copernicus' Observatory.
Yeah, that's what I decided. 4 CPT can be made up for by more towns and their Universities. :D

Chichen Itza: Gr.Library; Oracle; Gr.Wall; SunTzu's; Sistine; building Leo's, done in 4 ... culture is currently 2047 @ 44cpt
Copan: Pyramids; HangingG.; Colossus; building Newton's, done in 2
Palenque: Mausoleum of Mausollos
Tikal: Gr.Lighthouse
Yaxchilan: Copernicus' (this is where I was building ToA)
Abydos: building Kn.Templar (done in 20), will probably build Shakespeare's instead after I finish Free Artistry

For a 20K game you need to concentrate all the wonders into one single city, so Copernicus in Yaxchilan is not going to help with that. Chichen Itza is probably your best bet at 20K, so if you really want to switch, you should better build Cope's in Chichen Itza. (And Newton's as well!)

So I would advise against switching in this situation. A 20K game basically needs to be planned right from the start. Otherwise you will not be able to reach the required culture before turn 520 (or some other victory condition either by you or by the AI will kick in first).
Here, especially considering that Copan has built 4 very good wonders that are desperately needed in Chichen Itza, the chances for a successful 20K are probably already pretty dim.

4 turns away from Leo's in Chichen Itza, 2 turns away from Newton's in Copan. Copernicus' is already in Yaxchilan. Looks like I'm going for the 60K, then ... unless, of course, I get the Spaceship first, which has occasionally happened. Of course, my military forces are practically non-existent, so I'm trying to build that a little bit here & there in case of an unexpected DoW...

If you get to the next leap in technology earlier enough than the AI does then you'll get a lot of superior units where their stacks of doom will become simply cannon fodder, like so many French knights at Agincourt.

I don't suppose anyone has ever been able to make a functional F4 Foreign Advisor screen that shows all 15 opponents?

I don't think you can show them all at once without tampering with the source code, no.

Hi! I'm new to Civilization as a whole, and I have some questions that I can't find answers to.

First: how do I freeze pop growth? The problem is that many of my cities are at max pop limit now with all the tiles around them being worked and no spare food remaning, so there is no growth, but some cities have their own squares producing 3 food, which leads to an uneven number of food being produced, so these cities enter a nasty loop when the last citizen appears after a long growth from a single food and the city immideately goes into starvation, since the citizen requires two foods.
I've figured out that some tiles produce uneven amounts too, so I was able to play with irrgating/mining deserts/plains a bit (or switching worked tiles) to get to the even number of total food produced, but some cities just don't have any tiles around them capable of producing an uneven number of food.
I'm aware that I can sell off the harbor to get the water squares to produce 1 food and that I can pillage my railroad to get irrigated tiles to produce 3 food, but are there other non-destructive methods to control the growth?
My culture is Agricultural, that's where the towns get their 3 food from...
I also know I can simply draft a citizen when the population spills over the limit, but that still requires attention and manual intervention. Which become hard with a large nation.

Second: is there any way to force the workers to keep working the tile when pollution spills over it? I have a lot of cities and they are just enormous, so i have to switch the tile working back almost every turn now (used to do it multiple times in a turn until mass transit).

Third: cities in tundra? What's the best approach? I usually place a city on the shore and just make some captured workers join it, because the amount of food produced is very low. So you can get as many citizens as you have water tiles (with harbor) plus three, since tundra provides 1 food and central square produces 3. A bir more if there's fish/game/whales avaliable.
What do you do with tundra tiles themselves? I've figured out that a tundra tile with a forest produces 1 food and 2 shields at all times, while a tile with a mine produces 1 food and 1 shield before railroad and 1 shield more with railroad. So it appears that it's just better to forest all the tundra and forget about it, since all the world map gets settled before railroads appear anyway.

Fourth: resourse randomness? Do all resourses appear with 100% probability? (not under my capital. just at least in one place in the world) It's my second play now and i'm VERY rich with resourses now, while my foes are not. During the first playthrough it was the other way around... Also I could not find any gems on the map during the first time. Can there be a world with no certain type of resourses appearing at all?

Top Bottom