Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Yes! On my laptop, tapping the Fn key while caps lock is on toggles between the two, so sometimes instead of going to an Advisor I turn WiFi off on accident.

Thank you all for the quick responses :) Yes, I have figured out those for espionage, victory and palace, but my personal favourite is F11 (really pretty statistics) and the one indicating where the AI is building wonders is also useful. Probably I will have to consider buying a keyboard, after all.
I definitely recommend using a keyboard with a computer, yes. ;)

Dear Jarred, I have checked and indeed it does work. Thank you very much for your helpful advice, and I also thank the other members that have responded :)

This is probably just the frustration speaking, but is there by any chance some hidden programming that makes Ancient Cavalry attack and defend with at least double their stated values? I've been on the receiving end often enough for the RNG to balance out but it seems like they are on a permanent hot streak. My Pikemen may as well be made of tissue paper.

It's a bummer when you have to defend all the time, but they're just 3/2/2. Cities have a better defensive bonus than towns, and fortified units get a bonus as well, every little bit helps.

If they just acted like they were 3/2/2 that would be fine. But they just obliterate defenders behind fortifications, then shrug off longbowmen counter attacks without losing a single hitpoint. It's just staggering, and it seems to happen every time an AI opponent beats me to the Temple of Zeus.

It's not the extra hitpoint, because they are so often not even losing any. Typical matchups so far are AC v Pikemen behind walls (3 vs ~5.5) and counter-attacking with Longbowmen (4 vs 2.2) so I'm a significant statistical favourite, yet I'm getting thrashed in nearly every battle. I've lost two cities and a good portion of my armies.

What puzzles me is the consistency with which this happens. I don't experience anywhere near the same issues fending off Medieval Infantry or even Knights.

This is probably just the frustration speaking, but is there by any chance some hidden programming that makes Ancient Cavalry attack and defend with at least double their stated values?

Yes, the Ancient Cavalry and the Adventurer in the RARR mod are presumably fighting with additional magic power. :D

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/page-34#post-15339408
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/page-34#post-15341149
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/rise-and-rule-revisited-epic-mod.549166/page-34#post-15341217

God, who plays dice, is messing with your head.

Elite ancient cavalry against fortified regular pikeman behind grassland walls (85% bonus) has a 57.4% chance of winning.

And a streak of 10 heads coming up in a coin flip is not unusual (2 to the power of 10 = 1024) when you're playing a lot.

Veteran AC vs veteran pikeman is 29.5%.

Getting a similar streak yourself is not much of a comfort, because you try to plan ahead and keep your forces at a reasonable level or slightly above, that's your advantage over the AI after all.

Get another AI to make an alliance against your opponent, five turns before you engage, and they'll be some place else killing each other.

the lesson is obviously clear . Either build the wonder or bring tanks into the fight .

also are you playing with some box ticked to have the seed number so that you could replay the map ? ı do , also save and reload and have seen it that when the computer wins , it remembers that it won and does everything to get the same results ...

This is probably just the frustration speaking, but is there by any chance some hidden programming that makes Ancient Cavalry attack and defend with at least double their stated values? I've been on the receiving end often enough for the RNG to balance out but it seems like they are on a permanent hot streak. My Pikemen may as well be made of tissue paper.
If you're trying to replay the turn, perhaps you've left the preserve random seed option on?

It's just staggering, and it seems to happen every time an AI opponent beats me to the Temple of Zeus.

I've never been beaten to the SoZ, but that's probably because I always prioritize it (on the expense of expansion) if I find Ivory nearby.

I start a Palace prebuild in my second town, send workers there to develop the tiles and then join it, and plan to have Ivory connected before 200 shields.

Even if a neighbour settles on the luxury, there's probably two of them, so I guess you could help him connect a second and trade it.

Then pillage them both :satan:

Something is definitely messing with my head. I know this, it's just hard to accept when it happens game after game.

In this game the AC are not elite, so they are coming with 5HP against an assortment of my own veteran & elite units (4–5HP). On my combat calculator, veteran AC vs veteran Pike behind walls (or in >6 size city) should give a 2/3 advantage to the defender (closer to 3/4 if attacking across a river which has also happened). I'd guess I have lost 80% of these encounters, plus the AC typically brushes off Longbowman attacks after the fact, which are 60–80% in my favour, depending on the AC's hitpoints (the 60–80% is based on a 3–5 HP spread).

Somebody earlier mentioned magic powers. That still seems like the most likely explanation so far.

Last edited:
nobody has seen the Civ lll code or something , right ? So , it would be silly to assume there would be slots to assign disadvantages to certain units when facing certain units . Otherwise it happens as ı always expect something to happen when my 6-1-1 composite bowmen go down on any variant of 5-3-2 horse/wolf riders in the scenario ı keep to , like ı should be winning every fight ? How about having an empty core city to attract the Al into a trap with heavy catapult power on the side ?

Somebody earlier mentioned magic powers. That still seems like the most likely explanation so far.

I took way too much drugs one time and experienced what I belive crazy people call "the third eye". Posts on the internet could be for example just digits or stuff that I've been thinking about.

Anyway, it passed, but The Elder scrolls IV I downloaded still had garbled images (basically just random pixels in a few different colors) for three things: the clothes I was wearing that night when I went to the cemetary.

Maybe you've been praying to Satan or playing with ouija boards.

The only magic powers are actually the Charm feature in the cracked editor. ;)

I've never been beaten to the SoZ, but that's probably because I always prioritize it (on the expense of expansion) if I find Ivory nearby.

I start a Palace prebuild in my second town, send workers there to develop the tiles and then join it, and plan to have Ivory connected before 200 shields.

Even if a neighbour settles on the luxury, there's probably two of them, so I guess you could help him connect a second and trade it.

Then pillage them both :satan:

Sounds like you haven't played higher levels much.

Top Bottom