Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Well, they are on the second most aggressive list. Combine that with their very early UU and you get the picture.
That's one really ill-timed golden age if I ever saw one.

That's one really ill-timed golden age if I ever saw one.

Happened to me while playing Greece yesterday. I was using exclusively warriors to avoid this issue, Romans tried rushing me with their warriors and archers so I whipped a Hoplite in the threatened city...first unit attacks, boom. Golden age two turns away from completing Philosophy->Republic slingshot, so I spend few turns of GA in revolution.

Yeah. Still, hoplites in particular mean that barbarians can very rarely get the drop on you… all meanings of the word ‘barbarian’ accepted, btw.
If you send teams of 2-3 hoplites against mountain/tundra barbarians where the other AIs cannot settle you can reach an age where everybody else is just beginning to try to scramble some pikemen while you have a horde of elite hoplites ready to defend against puny swordsmen.

This is one of the reasons why in the mod CCM Golden Ages only can be triggered by great wonders (GW) and not by units. In CCM each civ has its own special GW for triggering a Golden Age according to history, but of course it can also be triggered by a mixture of traits with several different GWs, as it is in standard Civ 3.

Happened to me while playing Greece yesterday. I was using exclusively warriors to avoid this issue, Romans tried rushing me with their warriors and archers so I whipped a Hoplite in the threatened city...first unit attacks, boom. Golden age two turns away from completing Philosophy->Republic slingshot, so I spend few turns of GA in revolution.

I would argue that a despotic GA is still better than one in anarchy. Of course the best way is to use the despotic GA to get republic earlier. Just 2 turns shy of revolution is really ill timed.

What is a "locked alliance"?

Civs are in an alliance that they are locked into and cannot break. Used for some scenarios, usually one with placed cities. WW2 Japan and Italy and Germany for example.

What is a "locked alliance"?
In addition to what @vmxa said: if any one Locked Ally signs peace with someone, then every other member of the Locked Alliance is forced to sign peace with that enemy as well.

EDIT to add:

This is particularly noticeable in the Napoleonic Conquest, which has 2 LAs that each include both playable and unplayable Civs:
— France (playable) is allied with Denmark (unplayable)
— Britain (playable) is allied with the Netherlands + Portugal + Naples (all unplayable, IIRC)

So if playing as e.g. France, I can declare on Prussia (non-aligned), which drags Denmark (north of Prussia) into my war — but if Denmark takes too much damage, the Danish AI might 'choose' to sign a PT with Prussia before I'm finished conquering them. However, the scenario runs for only 96 turns, and is won on Victory-Points (primarily from unit-kills and town-captures, with some towns also hosting VP-Locations which give extra VP-per-turn), so I simply can't afford to wait 20T before re-declaring (as I might in an epic-game).

Maintaining a good trade-rep is therefore not even a consideration...

Last edited:
Also, locked alliances can only be set in pre-made .biq files. They are not part of the ‘epic’ game.

I'm not a Newbie, but have two questions:

1) Once built, can the Forbidden Palace be sold/deleted/destroyed by the owning civilization and rebuilt elsewhere?

2) What are the criteria that allow harbors to be built in cities founded on an inland lake/inland sea?

gift the city to the AI you will be in war as soon as possible .

that the inner sea should have at least 23 or 28 tiles of water , so that it will be a sea and not a lake . Otherwise ı have never seen an harbour on a lake

I'm not a Newbie, but have two questions:

1) Once built, can the Forbidden Palace be sold/deleted/destroyed by the owning civilization and rebuilt elsewhere?

2) What are the criteria that allow harbors to be built in cities founded on an inland lake/inland sea?
1) Yes, if you raze the city, or give the city away, you can rebuild the FP.
2) As R16 said, if you see a Sea Tile, then you can build a City Harbor on the shore.

Destroyed, yes, but only by an enemy (or, IIRC, by moving your capital to the same city with the Forbidden Palace). But you cannot just dismantle or sell it by yourself, because it's a small wonder rather than a regular improvement.

Thanks for your quick replies.
Ugh, losing the city entirely, one way or another, is a big price to pay just to get rid of/relocate the Forbidden Palace. I usually hold off a long time before building it, until I have a good second core of cities that can benefit from it. Is there a better strategy?

Why 23 or 28 water tiles to get a harbor? I don't remember off-hand, but wouldn't any water tiles that are two tiles away from land be Sea?

Last edited:
If you play Conquests, the forbidden palace doesn't have a ring effect. The reason to build it in a far away place in Conquests lies in having a city with much less corruption. Oftentimes in Conquests it can be better to just build it as quickly as possible, even in a city close to your capital.

ı have games where ı have the Forbidden Palace equivalent in the capital . Involves rushing the palace somewhere else and then returning it . Might help at 20K culture attempts ? Don't know whether it is peculiar to my civ copy or it no longer functions as the Forbidden Palace when the Palace is in the same town .

the scenario ı stick to divides the functions of harbour into two seperate buildings . One that provides trade . Other that increases food in water . Neither of them can be build next to a lake . That 20 odd tiles of coast lets the game recognize that body of water as a sea , so that hardcoded sea related buildings can be built in that town . Once again it might be my copy but putting a sea tile in a body of water in the editor does not convert that lake into a sea if it has less area than the minimum requirement . That sea tile then working as a lake thing when ı start the game .

Is it always better just to build it ASAP?
In C3C that is the gist of it, but like to refrain from calling it always. Never say never.
Choose a good spot in the first or second ring around your capital. Preferable with fresh water so that size 7+ can be reached. If it is the second ring you might want to build a courthouse before the FP.

Building the FP ASAP is the first priority,
building it in a town with high potential and relative high corruption is the second priority
and building it with a good effect on distance corruption on nearby cities is the third priority.

That is almost the opposite of pre C3C. I like to highlight the second priority. Corruption in the town with the FP can be reduced to zero. For optimum effect the corruption should therefore be somewhat high in order to utilize the reduction in corruption. But as this collides with the first priority this should not be your top priority. So practically speaking building the FP almost ASAP is a good idea.

The total effect of the FP tends to be worth a total 100 percentange points corruption reduction over all your cities together. It can be more but at the time when it finishes the outlier towns are till small, so effectively you net the economic worth of one more core city. Hence the FP is more worth than a university for 200 shields or two and a half courthouses, but it is not really a game changer either. It is just mid prirority. A top priority is getting into republic and getting cavalry.

that the inner sea should have at least 23 or 28 tiles of water
I remember the number 22/23: 22 tiles still counts as lake, while 23 tiles counts as ocean.

the scenario ı stick to divides the functions of harbour into two seperate buildings . One that provides trade . Other that increases food in water
What about the third function of harbours: building veteran ships? (Basically what barracks do for land units and airports for air units.)

A top priority is getting into republic and getting cavalry.
My priority is always to go for republic first. The only trouble I typically have is that, if I miss the slingshot, it takes forever to research and I usually can't buy it (either the AI won't sell, or I don't have anything to trade), so am I missing something or is that just a tough slog to get through?

Top Bottom