Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Points to Firaxis for recognising the Dutch have a better claim to being descendant from the Franks than the French. :p
If I have to be frank, linguistically speaking, the Dutch are the people.

Yes, this was (so far) indeed one of the difficult ones. I'm currently playing the nine Conquests and played Fall of Rome twice, before scoring a win. If you want to read a bit of strategy advice, what worked for me and what didn't, I can recommend my current story:

The Nine Conquests
Ty for this looks really good!

Playing Vikings/Standard Map/Monarch. I was going for a Domination victory but having wiped out France and Egypt am considering switching to Diplomatic since I'm only a few turns away from completing the UN, and I'm not that big on warmongering in general. What good ways are there to set up for a UN victory, or should I just say to heck with it & keep on warring?

Be at peace with everyone, good, longstanding trading relations, everyone at polite/courteous towards you, and, if possible, at war with your rival and you in alliance with them against him.

Be at peace with everyone, good, longstanding trading relations, everyone at polite/courteous towards you, and, if possible, at war with your rival and you in alliance with them against him.
I've held back on trading certain excess strategic resources - aluminum, oil, & rubber* - so as to prevent the AIs (or some of them) from getting too far ahead of me even with the tech. Would it be better, then, to trade these things out after all (esp. once I have the UN)?

* Also Fission, to prevent, or at least slow down, someone else getting the UN. Once I have it, it won't matter of course.

I've held back on trading certain excess strategic resources - aluminum, oil, & rubber* - so as to prevent the AIs (or some of them) from getting too far ahead of me even with the tech. Would it be better, then, to trade these things out after all (esp. once I have the UN)?

* Also Fission, to prevent, or at least slow down, someone else getting the UN. Once I have it, it won't matter of course.
Yes, trade them, to achieve your goal. As @Takhisis wrote, to maximize the AI to vote for you, they should be allied with you at war against the other rival. Figure out who that would be; hopefully it's obvious. A few turns before the vote is due, declare war on #2 and trade those resources as bribes to get AI to declare war also. Wait to share Fission, and use it if you need to.

Yes, trade them, to achieve your goal. As @Takhisis wrote, to maximize the AI to vote for you, they should be allied with you at war against the other rival. Figure out who that would be; hopefully it's obvious. A few turns before the vote is due, declare war on #2 and trade those resources as bribes to get AI to declare war also. Wait to share Fission, and use it if you need to.
Is there a way, though, to determine when the vote is due? I've always thought it was rather random.

The vote is held as soon as you build the UN, and then every 11 turns after that.

I'd wait to declare war until the UN shows as one turn left. Declare, bribe everyone into the war against your rival, and give them little gifts to make them extra happy if needed. If you have more than one opponent in the UN vote, it is trickier, but as you have been going for domination I'm guessing that is not the case.

The vote is held as soon as you build the UN, and then every 11 turns after that.

I'd wait to declare war until the UN shows as one turn left. Declare, bribe everyone into the war against your rival, and give them little gifts to make them extra happy if needed. If you have more than one opponent in the UN vote, it is trickier, but as you have been going for domination I'm guessing that is not the case.
Nope, just Carthage, which doesn't have the requisite 25% but is the next one down the line.

I got briefly confused when Hannibal (the only rival) got into a MPP with Gandhi, which then got into one with Hiawatha. Then I remembered I don't have to actually invade, only set up the situation - which is good, because Gandhi is ahead of me on the Spaceship, so next time I get to play I'm going to backtrack & do exactly that.

ETA: It worked! Lowest-scoring victory at Monarch (contrast my highest-scoring, which was also a Diplomatic victory), but still a Viking victory. Likely could not have won Domination anyway, since India would have finished the Ship before I could get there.

Last edited:
Remember to play the alliance game carefully. You don't want the skein of MPPs to screw you up. Also, remember that embargoes do not die with a war but will last the whole stupid 20 turns.

your enemies A and B sign an embargo against you . Make an alliance with A against B .

Remember to play the alliance game carefully. You don't want the skein of MPPs to screw you up. Also, remember that embargoes do not die with a war but will last the whole stupid 20 turns.
It was easier once I realized I only needed to set up the war at the last minute & didn't have to actually attack outside my borders, which is IIRC what would trigger a MPP against me. As it was, there was only one that didn't join my total war against my rival (and which voted for the rival at the UN), but I still had the majority, and that was all it took.

Excellent. I recently overestimated my welcome and found out the hard way that (Cautious) doesn't usually mean they'll vote for you. It just means, at best, that they won't vote for another against you.

So, after allowing the deserved defeat to stand in the official records, I went back and played the crap out of the space race just to see whether the Mongols could get a peaceful victory. 10-8 SS parts against the Koreans, but it got the job done.

Also, remember that embargoes do not die with a war but will last the whole stupid 20 turns.
I'm not sure I understood this.

If you mean Embargoes signed between AI-civs against you, then @r16 already posted the correct diplomatic response ;)

If you mean Embargoes you've signed, then one possible answer would be to tie your Embargo to an MA/MPP; that way, if (/when!) your AI-partner signs peace with your enemy before the end of the requisite 20T, then the Embargo will also be broken.

Last edited:
I mean specifically that if you're going for a diplomatic victory the easiest way is often to just capture a cluster of one same luxury and use it to bribe everyone. But the AI's random embargo policy might be an obstacle.

Daft question. Would the AI ever use a ship with a carry capacity of 1 (modified Curragh). From an initial test it appears not. To me the curragh is one of the strongest units in the game so I'm keen to get the AI considering making them to establish early contact with Civs on other islands (so they get the accelerated tech benefit as well as the ability to trade prior to mapmaking).

I could make them hold 2 units and move only one space I guess.

Nah, the mobility makes them far better. In an ideal world a curragh would perhaps just not cross the sea altogether and/or transport only foot units. It could work.

And yes, it's true that the AI won't build ships before galleys anyway.

One thing, though: if the AI set itself to build ships from the very beginning, then it would most likely spam settlers to try and capture random resources on the other side of the planet instead of consolidating a core around its capital cities.

Nah, the mobility makes them far better. In an ideal world a curragh would perhaps just not cross the sea altogether and/or transport only foot units. It could work.

And yes, it's true that the AI won't build ships before galleys anyway.

One thing, though: if the AI set itself to build ships from the very beginning, then it would most likely spam settlers to try and capture random resources on the other side of the planet instead of consolidating a core around its capital cities.
Good point, if a curragh could carry two units the AI would go mad with its settling globally. I just dreamed of an AI sticking a scout in a 1 carry curragh, but you can't have everything. I think I'll disable the unit as it gives too much advantage to me.

^That's the problem. It's a good unit, and in any map you just spend thirty shields to send out a curragh on either direction around the continent you're one and they just pay for themselves with the exploration and trading that they bring, but the AI never builds them. The time spend building them can also be used to build up population before you can start spamming settlers.

You could let curraghs carry scouts, make curraghs unbuildable, and give each civ a curragh and a scout as starting units. I don't know if you can put the scout in the curragh to start, though. Since you wrote that you checked AI starting locations before playing, you could probably adjust things to make it work, though.

Top Bottom