Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

So relocating my capital to the Portguese front coincided with me stopping losing the remaining 4 cities I'd acquired. The game was completely lost however.

So relocating my capital to the Portguese front coincided with me stopping losing the remaining 4 cities I'd acquired. The game was completely lost however.
Moving the capitol there for just that reason doesnt sound like the best idea I've ever heard...

Why would moving your capital there help at all?
And why would you move your capital there? Palaces are too expensive to build in a new city.

I moved it to a size 12 city on the border, on far more productive land. The position of the capitals of the 2 Civs is a variable in a culture flip. So by moving my capital closer to the 4 remaining cities I had stolen, they were closer to my capital than the enemies hence it will have reduced the chance of further flips. Simples.

It was experimentation for future reference in a game I'd effectively lost (plus I have reduced palace cost I think as a hangover from multiplayer games with someone who was incensed about ever starting on a peninsula. I must check that.

Still, it could be a very good use of a great leader in some limited situations (such as an invasion that starts well, then stalls)..

If you get a great leader and your invasion stalls, then surely you'd better get a handful of veteran/elite units into an army built with said leader.

unless you hit the limit of 4 cities per army and you don't have enough cities for a new one .

If you already have hit the limit for armies I wonder how the AI could resist you at all then.

sticking to one single scenario ı can generally settle a maximum of 5 cities and have to capture the rest in a 160x160 map , it is really common . But ı remember playing other civs in that scenario for a change and ı still hit the limit at 38 or so armies and had not yet finished the game .

I've also got a reduced power army since the AI can't use it properly and wont attack a full strength player AI. I appreciate in vanilla Civ3 the answer to pretty much everything is fight harder, stronger and longer. That's why I keep trying to change it because all the ingredients are there for a game that is much more varied even if, like me, you lack the skills or time to do a full blown mod.

I've also got a reduced power army since the AI can't use it properly and wont attack a full strength player AI.
From this I gather you're not using Flintlock's patch yet...?

From this I gather you're not using Flintlock's patch yet...?
Correct. If I go to Flintlock I won't likely feel like reverting to vanilla and tinkering with it again. So I'm exhausting my playing about with vanilla settings before moving over to Flintlock.

Ok, I've never had this "problem" before, but ... Persia/Monarch/Large map. Going for the Spaceship. I've been able to sell tech for ridiculous(ly high) amounts of Gold and GPT, such that even with buying the resources & luxes I need I've amassed nearly 30K gold. I just sell stuff now to keep the AI broke. Basically, I have no idea what to do with all the cash except to rush production on stuff I need to work toward the Ship. Is this normal and I just never pulled it off before, or am I doing something wrong?

Sounds rather like you are doing something right... :D

However, instead of keeping the AI broke, it may be a better idea to keep the AI afloat. On the lower difficulty levels, where the AI cannot be expected to complete some own research in a reasonable time, I usually don't bother. But on the higher levels (and perhaps Monarch/Large already qualifies for that), I usually keep at least the powerful AIs up to date by gifting them all techs I know, and gifting them surplus luxuries (and sometimes even surplus gpt, if I have any) in the hope that they will research something that I don't know yet, and actually finish it fast enough so that I can trade it from them.

Sometimes it is in vain, but sometimes the AI actually manages to contribute 1-2 techs per era to my research effort, reducing the time I need until launch date.
Usual candidates for this are Sanitation and Communism, which I skip because they are optional (the lost time for researching optionals can usually not be made up again), but which are nevertheless most often useful to have, because a Hospital or Police Station in the right places can significantly increase my commerce, which is required for keeping up the 4-turn research in the later ages.

If you repeat such a late-game advantage with other civs and/or map configurations then I recommend that you move on to playing Emperor.
Also, I recommend that you build the techs that you need for changing eras or specific game-breaking units/wonders and leave side ones for the AI to trade you at some point, like Ironclads or Fascism.

If you repeat such a late-game advantage with other civs and/or map configurations then I recommend that you move on to playing Emperor.
Ok. I'll see how this one plays out & how the next one goes.
Also, I recommend that you build the techs that you need for changing eras or specific game-breaking units/wonders and leave side ones for the AI to trade you at some point, like Ironclads or Fascism.
I rarely (not never) research the optional techs for that reason.

While I'm thinking of it ... is there a pop-up or something if your production gets sabotaged by an AI civ?

Yes, there is. It's just that it's rare for an AI to have the resources to pull it off.

I'd love go recommend using your war chest for espionage to monitor opposing space races and sabotage their production, but the mere act of planting a spy can easily trigger a war and if you are focused on a space race that's the last thing you'd want.

I've never got so much money. Keep rushing and upgrading your power plant? Make charitable donations to weak Civs to feel warm and fuzzy inside? Pay off Civs to have trade embargoes against your main rival? Rush and support a minimum of 5x top level defensive units per city so no sane AI attacks you?

I take it that you're using the Civ 3 Conquests - retuned mod, right?
Yes. We are limited with what I can do without proper modding but you can make partial invasion of a rival both more sensible as a tactic and more achievable by just tweaking settings. Sadly, making Espionage meaningful may be proving beyond my abilities. There is such a high risk of war attached to it that is neither realistic or conducive to making it a viable tactic.

I love Civ3 but it does feel like whoever came up with the default settings created a game where selecting anything but Republic is idiotic and the outcome of the game is pretty much known by early Middle Ages at the latest.

Top Bottom