1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Warlord

I've noticed when I capture a foreign town/city, Temples I build generate only 1cpt. Is this a standard rule or can I do "something" to increase this to the usual 2cpt?

Thx!

2. HistoryLines

HistoryLines Chieftain

Earlier I posted this question.

"I have but another multiplayer problem. What to do against having an embassy build in my town from my opponent? I do not let him in my territory, to be an unknown factor for him and he just builds an embassy and knows excatly where I am and how large my city is and how it changes."

I found the solution myself now. You can only build an embassy in a civilisation you are not in war with. So multiplayers have to declare war immediately to the opponent after they have contact! We play 2 vs 2 and it is a lot of fun. But your location is very important. It will inflict all you city build directions etc. and the embassy problem was quite taking fun out of it.

When someone loves round-based strategy games, like Civ, HistoryLines, BattleIlse, chess or Go, I can not praise M.A.X. (not MaxII!) highly enough. It is really the most complex and best strategy game ever.

sincerely HistoryLines (age 45)

We play Civ3 PTW 121.f.

3. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

Temples normally generate 2 cpt. It is only when you are mobilized that the cpt would be halved and match what you observe here.

So, I would wager to say that you have mobilized. The thing is ... you cannot build temples (and other cultural improvements) when you are mobilized.

4. Fadan80

Fadan80 Adriana Lima Fan

Replying Padma's post... In fact, under despotism any tyle that produces more than 2 food, it is substracted one instead...

For example, you can notice if you irrigate desert you see the increment of +1 food, because desert base value is 0 food... so 0+ 1 = 1 food, and this is < than 2 food penalty does not apply...

However, grasslands food base is 2... with irrigation food will be 3... minus despotism penalty = 2 food (you can not see the increment, until you revolt and change your government)

Flood plains have a food base of 3, but under despotism it is reduced to 2 (due to despotism). However, if you irrigate you can see now the increment, because its food base is 3 + 1 (irrigation) = 4, -1 (despotism) = 3

Hope I explained myself well

5. GeneralMeng

GeneralMeng Warlord

if i build a city next to a volcano, and it erupts, will my city be destroy?

6. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Depends which way the lava flows (pollution shows on map)......If it comes your way, your city is razed!

The good news is that, IIRC, only one tile (maybe 2?) is polluted, so it's like Russian Roulette.......You've got 1 chance in 8 that your city will be destroyed! :)

7. HistoryLines

HistoryLines Chieftain

_
    Q1
    If the town is 11 big and 11 fields are harvested, being worked on, plus the city square, I will not increase produktion by building a temple, right?

_
    Q2
    It does not matter if catapults are build in towns with or without barracks, right?

_
    Q3
    If I make an AI in a multiplayer game on prince my friend by giving him tech and money. How much will it cost my human opponent to get him on his side? And does the amount of money I spent play any role at all?

_
    Q4
    If I give an AI in a muliplayer game tech my opponent has already discovered, does it make his next tech any cheaper, because more players have tech near to the one he is working on or does that have no effect?

THX - I am playing a strong roughly 2000 ELO opponent and need help! :)

sincerely

8. EMan

Q1: Right.
    Q2: Right.

EMan (ELO 2100). :)

9. GeneralMeng

GeneralMeng Warlord

um.... iirc, marine gets its attack double in c3c when attacking from the coast, is the correct?

10. vmxa

vmxa Deity

HistoryLines

"Q3
    If I make an AI in a multiplayer game on prince my friend by giving him tech and money. How much will it cost my human opponent to get him on his side? And does the amount of money I spent play any role at all?"

There is nothing stopping player B (human opposition) from bribing any AI to have good relation. If you mean you are in an MPP with the AI and at war with B, B will only be able to get peace, not an alliance Vs you.

How much depends on the game. What do you mean by how much you spend? Spend on what? Gifts, research, troops?

"Q4
    If I give an AI in a muliplayer game tech my opponent has already discovered, does it make his next tech any cheaper, because more players have tech near to the one he is working on or does that have no effect?"

Not to learn, but cheaper to buy from someone.

11. vmxa

vmxa Deity

Not that I can find.

12. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter King

I do remember reading that they ignore Defense bonuses from Improvements when attacking from a Transport, but no Attack increase.

13. Optional

Optional Deity

Yes, I remember having read something like that as well. I believe defenders don't get any defense bonus against amphibious attacks, and apparantly this has been done to compensate for the fact that amphibious attackers can't use artillery - not from their boats at least.

14. vmxa

vmxa Deity

I could not find anything like that in the editor. They can use bombardment from ships guns, same as artillery. I have had marines kill mechs from boats, but it is rare for them to even use marines at sea. They seems to send them along as reg troops.

15. darski

darski Regent in Training

I have seen more than that getting spewed with lava. I know I have seen 3 at least but I am trying to remember if I have seen more than that.

16. EMan

Was the pollution the result of 1 eruption or could it have been multiple eruptions? :)

17. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I think if a town is big enough, it will survive an eruption. I've seen size 4 towns survive, losing 2 population.

18. darski

darski Regent in Training

The volcano is supposed to erupt in the same places every time. Once it erupts, you know where it is safe to plant a city.

19. thefitzman1

thefitzman1 Chieftain

I used to play Civ III "vanilla" all the time, but my disc was damaged beyond repair. I finally gave in and ordered a new disc through Amazon, but the one I received was the "Game of the Year" edition. I know that expansions to Civ III were put out, is this one of them? I'd much prefer to keep playing "vanilla" if possible.

20. vmxa

vmxa Deity

No, it is just vanilla with the patches iirc.