Quick Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the AI 'know' automatically where your privateers are? I put one to sea, it is in the middle of the ocean and no Civ has seen it yet and survived...but my picket line of Frigates and Galleons have seen a mad rush of Carthiginian Frigates rushing north in it's general direction for no apparent reason...

The AI knows where all units are, every single unit in every single turn. Period.

thetrooper said:
The AI knows where all units are, every single unit in every single turn. Period.
Yeah, I realize that, but I didn't think it would be able to act on it unless it 'spotted' them per the fog of war rules just like the human player. I don't consider the production advantages the AI gets in increasing difficulty levels cheats, but this I would.

I can understand if my privateer was spotted and the offended civ then sent out units to search for it - but I sunk a French ship the same turn I spotted it - the Carthaginians should have no clue about that as they are half a world away and have no presence at all in the area the privateer is in. I never know when the AI sinks another AI ship with a privateer in an area I have no ships or units in...why should they?

thetrooper said:
Well, you just have to live with it. Certainly annoying!
Well, I guess I'll have to exploit it - now when I want to attack the Carthaginians, I'll send out a privateer a long way away to draw off their navy so they cannot hurt my invasion force. Two can 'cheat'. ;)

Alas, what is supposed to be the AIs greatest strength is also its greatest weakness ;)

thetrooper said:

This I suspected... in WWII scenario when my naval units are in bomber range... there is a bloody bomber! :mad:

For me, this takes part of the fun of the game as planning longer routes in order to have less probability of being caught was an alternative for me! :(

Esp in this scenario, the see all ability is annoying. The human player have to do recon missions (and thereby loosing air superiority?).

Seems so by judging the attitude change if you sink any of their vessels. This however will change back to normal later.

1 - Please explain OCN and its limitations in different gov't types

2 - Does a communist gov't ignore OCN?

Thanks,

Stunner :goodjob:

Thanks Trooper!

-Stunner :goodjob:

Couple questions:

1. I saw someone reference a "mobilization economy". Is that a style of play or a function of the game? What is it?
2. In [c3c] I was looking at the advanced automation options. One of them (sorry, don't recall exact name of it atm) was about setting up trade or something like that. Out of curiousity, I clicked it and nothing happened (from which I learned that all the buttons display, not just the ones that are possible). If that's not enough description, I'll post the exact name when I'm home later.

Thanks!

.Shane. said:
Couple questions:

1. I saw someone reference a "mobilization economy". Is that a style of play or a function of the game? What is it?
2. In [c3c] I was looking at the advanced automation options. One of them (sorry, don't recall exact name of it atm) was about setting up trade or something like that. Out of curiousity, I clicked it and nothing happened (from which I learned that all the buttons display, not just the ones that are possible). If that's not enough description, I'll post the exact name when I'm home later.

Thanks!

1. If you are talking about mobilization ('war-time mobilization' that is), the feature becomes available with Nationalism. On the F1 Domestic scrreen, instead of choosing "Normal" (the default), you can click the green button and select "War-Time", and every tile that produces at least one shield will produce an extra. So you can gain up to 21 shields (NOT including the factory, etc, bonus! :) ). However, you can only build military units (bombers, artillery, settlers, workers, etc, don't get the extra shield bonus applied to them) and military improvements (ie; no temple, cathedral, market, only barracks, walls, and some others. Some wonders you can build too). The button for this is by the button to change governments.

2. Was it "Establish Trade Route" (or something like that)? It makes it so you'll build a road from your civ to another civ in the shortest possible time. Pretty useless - don't automate your workers, manually control them!

Ginger_Ale said:
1. If you are talking about mobilization ('war-time mobilization' that is), the feature becomes available with Nationalism. On the F1 Domestic scrreen, instead of choosing "Normal" (the default), you can click the green button and select "War-Time", and every tile that produces at least one shield will produce an extra. So you can gain up to 21 shields (NOT including the factory, etc, bonus! :) ). However, you can only build military units (bombers, artillery, settlers, workers, etc, don't get the extra shield bonus applied to them) and military improvements (ie; no temple, cathedral, market, only barracks, walls, and some others. Some wonders you can build too). The button for this is by the button to change governments.

Ah, ok, that must be it. Now I see why Nationalism is such a desired tech.

[qutoe]2. Was it "Establish Trade Route" (or something like that)? It makes it so you'll build a road from your civ to another civ in the shortest possible time. Pretty useless - don't automate your workers, manually control them![/QUOTE]

Yes, I've already been disuaded of using WA. :) I do like the idea of the WA for things like "build a railroad from X to Y". Assuming that worked ok, that's probably the only thing I'd use it for.

Thanks, as always, for the helpful and thoughtful answers, GA. :)

.Shane. said:
Yes, I've already been disuaded of using WA. :) I do like the idea of the WA for things like "build a railroad from X to Y". Assuming that worked ok, that's probably the only thing I'd use it for.

I use the "road to" and "railroad to" buttons all the time since the workers will stop once they complete the task... Same goes for automate for waste/damage cleanup (unless the wates is next to a border)... If you use the other automate functions for your workers be prepared to lose many of them in any wars you may be fighting :mad:

@ .Shane.
I believe the command is CTRL+N for "build trade." Workers assigned to this will build roads to connect all of your continental cities to your capital. This is referred to in the civilopedia, under hotkeys-unit commands, as "build road/rail net."

@ Luthor
Look at the information for any existing unique unit. For example, Immortals. You will notice that they are 'available to' only to Persia. You will also notice that swordsman is 'available to' all civs except Persia (and the Celts).

GorfTheWanderer said:
I use the "road to" and "railroad to" buttons all the time since the workers will stop once they complete the task... Same goes for automate for waste/damage cleanup (unless the wates is next to a border)... If you use the other automate functions for your workers be prepared to lose many of them in any wars you may be fighting :mad:
On a side note, I really hate the fact that in Conquests Shift-D now does pollution/damage cleanup, as I used to be a regular user of Shift-D for diplomacy. Arrgh! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom