• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Quick Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smokey-monkey

Your hard drive is probably laid out something like this - this is windows XP but it doesn't change too much with version.

If you still can't find the Civ folders, try right clicking on the shortcut on the desktop to run civ, and choose properties. The "target" or "start in" boxes will show you the path to civ. Copy the folder path into windows explorer address bar.

Attachments

• hierarchy.jpg
    hierarchy.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 235
Hi guys. I know that thanksgiving day shopping is crazy today, and I asked for PTW and Conquests on my wish list. Is this a mistake?

Can you play multiplayer with civ Game of the Year and Conquests? Or do you need PTW to enable multiplayer.

You can save my in-laws $20 if you act soon :)

Wiz

You don't need PTW at all, the core PTW stuff is in Conquests.

i swear to god i dont hav a folder called "Program Files" i hav Documents and Settings, drivers, I386, My downloads, PROGRAMF, unzipped, and WINDOWS.

So right now, buying PTW is a waste of money...does Conquest make the multi-player option less buggy?

OK, look inside PROGRAMF Smokey-monkey

Sounds like an abbreviation for PROGRAM Files to me :)

hmmm - eight characters.... just how old is your computers. Sounds like the old windows eight character restriction.

The only thing inside PROGRAMF is a folder called EPSON which is the make of my printer and by the way my computer is XP to and its really new

OK, then I'm stumped because the default in XP is to call it Program Files.

Did you try right-clicking on the desktop shortcut?

Originally posted by Smokey_Monkey
I dont hav explorer either so i dont hav a clue what to do

OK, I'm going to assume that when you installed civ you had it place a shortcut icon on the desktop which you click on to launch the program. If you did something else, tell me how you do start the game and I'll amend the instructions.

First, click with your right mouse button on the shortcut icon. When you do you'll get a pop-up box looking something like this:

Click on the bottom item, "properties" and you'll get a box like this:

Now, take your mouse and select the whole of the Start In entry, except for the starting and ending quotes. In my case that gives me:

C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Civ3PTW

Now, open windows explorer. It is accessible via the start button in the lower left - hit start, then all programs, then accessories, then Windows Explorer. It's a basic component of Windows, so it must be there. If not, then simply open any folder at all - that is windows explorer you're using to look at the folder.

Copy the text you selected from the "Start In" box - using control-C for ease - and paste it into the address bar in the now-open windows explorer window. Control-V will paste it there. It should look like:

except with your address for civ3. If you now hit the "go" button to the right of the address bar it should open the folder for you. You should be able to navigate around the folder tree from there. Hit the "folders" button near the top to get the folder hierarchy displayed to make that easier.

Thanks all that answered my question on the embassy thing....feel a bit stupid...right after I posted it, I read the FAQ(yeah I know wrong order) even worse its in the manual (ctrl-E). Great to see a gaming comunity that doesnt flame one for being a bone head tho, thats a bit rare these days. Specially playin Rallos Zek server of EverQuest.

And I'm playin vanilla flavored Civ3, found it for 10 bucks. verses the $40 for the same right next to it. As far as I can tell version right next to it, wasn't an expansion or even included an expasion, just a smaller box and $30 dollars more...go figure.

Once again thank you for the prompt replies and not tellin me to read the <insert explicative of choice> manual :)

The manual is so bad I would personally recommend always asking here and burning the manual.

P.S. I'm serious! :)

Originally posted by Gainy bo
In PBEM games, my saves are always about 75% of the size of my opponents. Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks in advance :)

I've just realised the saves aren't bigger. Hotmail add 25% of the save's actual size to it when I download it (although it's the proper size once it's downloaded)... Don't know why, or how :hmm:

Originally posted by MadScot
*adds to Gaint bo's answer*

That upgrades all units which would be upgradeable if done one-by-one. i.e. they have to be in cities with barracks, etc., etc. Units "in the field" are not upgraded.

Thanks guys... I thought that would be how you do it, so that's what I tried before asking the question- but it didn't work! Will it simply not work if you don't have the cash? Maybe that's it... although I have a huge treasury at the moment, so I don't get it.

Usually, late in the game, my slider is 100% on science. Does it make any sense at that point to build more banks and stock exchanges? Also, I thought the new tourism bonus was supposed to be in gold. When I have my slider at 100% science, there is no extra gold generated in the city with the tourism producing wonder. (Although commerce seems really high == 35 commerce icons generate 161 commerce, with a marketplace, bank, and stock exchange). Comments?

Hi,

Suppose I am researching Banking and it is almost discovered. My research priorities change and I switch to research invention. After I complete the research for invention can I go back to banking and pick up where I left off? Or do I start researching banking from scratch?

thanks

Originally posted by Mr. Do

Thanks guys... I thought that would be how you do it, so that's what I tried before asking the question- but it didn't work! Will it simply not work if you don't have the cash? Maybe that's it... although I have a huge treasury at the moment, so I don't get it.

Well, no doubt they messed with it for C3C but in PTW there would be a pop-up if you don't have enough cash, and if you do have the cash it will say something like"you are going to upgrade 20 whatevers for 400 gold, confirm?"

So if you are not getting any kind of pop-up something odd is going on.

Originally posted by captain chaos
Hi,

Suppose I am researching Banking and it is almost discovered. My research priorities change and I switch to research invention. After I complete the research for invention can I go back to banking and pick up where I left off? Or do I start researching banking from scratch?

thanks

from scratch. previous partial research is lost the instant you leave the F6/Science Advisor page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom