Quick Questions and Answers

All are in the War Academy (subforum under Strategy & Tips) but the "overview" or "gateway" article for BNW (with links to the more detailed articles) is http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=521452. There is a separate series for G&K, also in the War Academy, so note the prefixes on the articles.

On ruins, they are random, but there is a 2-ruin cooldown before you can get the same reward (hence, you might get barb camp notices every 3 turns, as you note). It is not unusual to not get an upgrade ruin in a game.

Why are my city's borders expanding northwards when there are riverside tiles that would be far more valuable?

On ruins, they are random, but there is a 2-ruin cooldown before you can get the same reward (hence, you might get barb camp notices every 3 turns, as you note). It is not unusual to not get an upgrade ruin in a game.

Browd....Really, How can this be True!

For this month I am going to keep a record,

>Number of Ruins that are possible
>What was the result of their unveiling

I guess I could ask you 2 questions,

1)How many times have you received 3 notifications "Barbarian Encampments" per game...???

2)How many times have you received 3 notifications "Upgrade Unit" in a game?

I would answer #1 - Every Game, and #2 - Almost Never...And I rarely pop a ruin with a unit that is already upgraded!

ONE MORE QUESTION (PLEASE)
When I unveil a ruin with a unit that has already has been upgraded from a ruin, and it would have chosen "Upgrade Unit" does it always replace it with same selection, OR does it come randomly from the pool.

Hello!
So i made a scenario to myself. Took a huge world map and then added extra "treasury" island between South America and Australia. (Yes, I am on the island of course :D)
If I want AI civs to start where I put them in world builder, then I have to click the scenario button in mods so I cant use this "advance" button becuase then the AI starting location will be random, I belive its known issue.
Now comes the problem: lately, when I play Civ 5, I like to play it with Slomo science mod, because I love it when i can make war with horses for a long long time before future technologies... But the problem is that if I click load scenario (in order to have correct starting locations), the Slomo science doesnt work anymore, the science is now regular epic or standard or whatever I chose it to be in world builder.
So any ideas how to play my scenario with slower science?? Maybe just to edit somehow my scenario?
And im very bad in moding :( A week ago I even edited Civ 5 original XML file, changed there a gamespeed or tech speed but nothing... When i started a game, everything was like before. So I just dont get the moding.. at least yet.

Browd....Really, How can this be True!

Exactly which part of Browd's response do you find incredulous?

How many times have you received 3 notifications "Barbarian Encampments" per game?

Every game! The ruin results are not equally weighted.

How many times have you received 3 notifications "Upgrade Unit" in a game?

Never. I have on occasion gotten two upgraded scouts in a game. I pull upgraded scouts to the front line, so I don't really give myself the chance to pop three. I agree that would be rare.

When I unveil a ruin with a unit that has already has been upgraded from a ruin, and it would have chosen "Upgrade Unit" does it always replace it with same selection, OR does it come randomly from the pool.

Upgrade ruins are so rare and valuable, and as you know a unit cannot be upgraded this way twice. So why would you even test this?

My own experimenting is that results are repeatable so long as nothing else using RNG (like combat) has happened in the meantime. I once was in the position to pop a ruin with either a scout or my warrior. Upgrade ruin on the scout! Save and reload, pop with the warrior. Upgrade on the warrior!

Exactly which part of Browd's response do you find incredulous?

That the results were equally weighted.

Every game! The ruin results are not equally weighted.

Sorry,...To Confirm.

Yes, Completely Random......No, Not equally weighted.

If this is True, then it clears up much of what I felt to be a unbelievable situation

My own experimenting is that results are repeatable so long as nothing else using RNG (like combat) has happened in the meantime. I once was in the position to pop a ruin with either a scout or my warrior. Upgrade ruin on the scout! Save and reload, pop with the warrior. Upgrade on the warrior!

Great Example! This was another reason for some of my confusion.

I would assume that the RNG meter (or whatever you call it) resets at the completion of RNG action. So, that Ruin is assigned when you pop it, It is not like it goes into some "Lottery Ball" Mode every time you start a RNG action.

Still find it hard to believe that Past Results Have No Impact On Future Opportunities. I guess this is my reason for the question.

I wanted to know if I missed my opportunity for an upgrade, but if the "Past" doesn't impact it (And I will have a the same chance on the next one)....Then I guess it does not matter.

I think a lot of this is like that old "Coin flipping" Statistical gem. "If I flip this coin, and 9 out of 10 times it came up heads",..."The odds are pretty good it is going to come up tails on the next one,.. .Right??? - No, it's still the same - 50/50....Dumb Ass!

Thanks for clearly up some of the confusion.

Prior results do affect your future ruin opportunities, in the sense that your two prior ruin outcomes are not available for your third ruin.

At levels above settler, there are 9 possible ruin yields:

<Type>GOODY_POPULATION</Type>
<Type>GOODY_CULTURE</Type>
<Type>GOODY_REVEAL_NEARBY_BARBS</Type>
<Type>GOODY_GOLD</Type>
<Type>GOODY_MAP</Type>
<Type>GOODY_TECH</Type>
<Type>GOODY_UPGRADE_UNIT</Type>
<Type>GOODY_PANTHEON_FAITH</Type>
<Type>GOODY_PROPHET_FAITH</Type>

However, the last two are mutually exclusive and conditional -- the pantheon faith ruin only appears when you don't have a pantheon but can get one, and the prophet faith ruin only appears after you have a pantheon and until you enhance your religion -- so there are really only 8 possibilities on any given ruin. And only 7 posiibilities before turn 20, since the faith ruins aren't enabled until then, and after you enhance your religion.

So that leaves a maximum 6 possible ruin outcomes after you have found 2 ruins (5 possibilities if the faith ruins are not available), since your two prior ruin outcomes are excluded from the pool available for the next. Also, once you get an upgrade ruin for a particular unit, the upgrade ruin is no longer available for that unit.

So, if you find 6 or 8 ruins in a game, can you get 3 barb notifications and no upgrade ruins? Certainly. Ever roll a six-sided dice 8 times and get three 2's and no 6's?

Alright, I have a bunch of small questions, and I've numbered them for convenience!

1. If I have a save file of a game I played, say it's in turn 100, is it possible to recreate the turn 0 save from it? I would figure extracting the random seed would do it, but as far as I know that is impossible.

2. Similar question as 1: If I have a turn 0 save for a G&K game, can I restart the game to include BNW mechanics?

The reason I ask these two questions is because I [found a save file where I have a giant amount of marsh as the Netherlands](http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138125296) and I would like to replay that game.

Other questions!

3. I feel like I have the peaceful strategy under control (I can win an isolated deity game), but I have no idea how to war. :crazyeye: Assuming I want to war starting from the classical era; how many cities should I start with? How spread out should they be? Should I aim to have as many/few cities as possible? What cities should I take/burn/puppet? Should I fill the gaps in my empire once war is over? What buildings should the average city have?

Peaceful is much easier: get 3/4 cities with ~6 tiles between them, build all buildings in it and win. :(

I would advise that you post the warfare question in its own thread -- it sin't a quick answer type of question. :)

As for your first two questions, I believe the answer is "no" to both, but what you can do is save the map and then edit the map in WorldBuilder to create a custom scenario. The WorldBuilder is part of the Civ V SDK, which is available free on Steam (go to your Steam Library, click Tools (instead of Software) and scroll down to install). For threads on using WorldBuilder, browse the Creation & Customization forum.

So, if you find 6 or 8 ruins in a game, can you get 3 barb notifications and no upgrade ruins? Certainly. Ever roll a six-sided dice 8 times and get three 2's and no 6's?

So you are saying that the goody huts are randomly selected and equally weighted? I hate it when I am a victim of confirmation bias! Something I do so like to challenge folks about... :)

Hello Folks,

The family plays MP and we want to play Korea. Do we all need to buy the Korea DLC or does just the game host?

Regards,

Marc

In case you didn't get an answer in a MP forum, you will all need to have a given DLC in order to use that DLC. On creation of a new game, the host has the option of which DLC to allow and you can't join a game where DLC you don't have is enabled.

Why are my city's borders expanding northwards when there are riverside tiles that would be far more valuable?

The expansion picker seems to prioritize tiles by resource, ring, and tile cost in that order. Those river tiles you mention are ring 3 for that city, when there are still ring 2 tiles to expand on.

Hi.

I am playing with Shaka and I have a problem. I want to earn promotions for my units by killing. The problem is, when the unit (I tried some units from different kinds) gets to level 3 and 30 xp, it's stops. Do I need to reach a new era? research a specific technology? What I need to do ?

EDIT: I found the answer. When the unit reaches 30 xp, it can't earn more xp from barbarians

The expansion picker seems to prioritize tiles by resource, ring, and tile cost in that order. Those river tiles you mention are ring 3 for that city, when there are still ring 2 tiles to expand on.

Aah, that makes sense. Thanks.

I noticed that it is not possible to build a farm on a tile with luxury resource e.g. cotton on a flood plains. Is it possible to build the polder improvement on luxury resource tile (with flood plains underlying..?

I haven't tried playing Siam yet but is the Wat + University trick I'm reading so much about still possible?

Also I don't know if it's proper to ask here but do you guys know a mod that would allow the player to ban certain Civs from the game? I mean when you start a single-player game you can select which Civs you want included, is it possible to instead input, say, "No Mongol"?

Top Bottom