Quick Questions / Quick Answers

I remember there was a file you could modify to tweak the difficulty, specifically there were 3 values that affected early/mid/late game bonuses for AI labeled A/B/C (and if I'm remembering correctly, A affected the whole game, B affected midgame onwards, C affected late game only). What was that file, assuming it still works?

I remember there was a file you could modify to tweak the difficulty, specifically there were 3 values that affected early/mid/late game bonuses for AI labeled A/B/C (and if I'm remembering correctly, A affected the whole game, B affected midgame onwards, C affected late game only). What was that file, assuming it still works?

See here.

Why can't I make this trade route from Linz to Quebec City? Can you only have one trade route to each city state? I already have a land trade route from Salzburg to Quebec City.

Spoiler Screenshot :
upload_2020-4-21_21-59-53.png

I see you got an answer already, but I thought I'd point out a small misconception with how this works. All three values affect all stages of the game, based on era (0 to 7, but ancient also counts as 1). A is a constant, B scales with era value and C scales with the era value squared. So in ancient/classical, bonus scaler is A+B+C. In medieval, it's A+2B+4C. By information, it's A+7B+49C. In the early game, A has the biggest impact and by late game it's C, but all three are always contributing to the bonus.

Is there a cooldown or something for me to stop a city from being razed? I just razed a 4 pop city and it's not letting me stop razing afterwards? Is this something to do with the resistance? I'm pressing the stop razing button, but when I press it and confirm to stop razing, the button still says "Stop City Razing" and the indicator beneath the city name says it is still razing. Next turn has the city down one pop with the city still razing. Am I not allowed to stop razing while the city is in resistance?

Is there a cooldown or something for me to stop a city from being razed? I just razed a 4 pop city and it's not letting me stop razing afterwards? Is this something to do with the resistance? I'm pressing the stop razing button, but when I press it and confirm to stop razing, the button still says "Stop City Razing" and the indicator beneath the city name says it is still razing. Next turn has the city down one pop with the city still razing. Am I not allowed to stop razing while the city is in resistance?

Bug. Please report on Github.

Perfect, thank you.

I see you got an answer already, but I thought I'd point out a small misconception with how this works. All three values affect all stages of the game, based on era (0 to 7, but ancient also counts as 1). A is a constant, B scales with era value and C scales with the era value squared. So in ancient/classical, bonus scaler is A+B+C. In medieval, it's A+2B+4C. By information, it's A+7B+49C. In the early game, A has the biggest impact and by late game it's C, but all three are always contributing to the bonus.

Thanks, I knew it was something along those lines but knowing the mechanics is helpful.

A friend and I downloaded and installed the Community Balance Patch with one of the Multiplayer mods, we generally play on Huge, Teams, vs. AI, Abundant Resources, Epic Speed. First game around turn 240 the game simply stopped responding when loaded up. We started another game on a smaller map size using Pitboss but otherwise the same settings, now it became unplayable around turn 300. We were able to move units and set production but are having difficulty removing notifications and can't click next turn.

Thoughts?

A friend and I downloaded and installed the Community Balance Patch with one of the Multiplayer mods, we generally play on Huge, Teams, vs. AI, Abundant Resources, Epic Speed. First game around turn 240 the game simply stopped responding when loaded up. We started another game on a smaller map size using Pitboss but otherwise the same settings, now it became unplayable around turn 300. We were able to move units and set production but are having difficulty removing notifications and can't click next turn.

Thoughts?

Complain to Firaxis about how they won't release their code for multiplayer (thus we cannot fix a lot of the problems with it).

When you create a game, is there a way to not allow a specific civ to be picked when adding random AI?

Thanks

I have a problem. I added code like this:
Code:
<Worlds>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_DUEL"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="5" DefaultMinorCivs="8" MaxActiveReligions="3" NumNaturalWonders="4"/>       
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_TINY"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="10" DefaultMinorCivs="17" MaxActiveReligions="6" NumNaturalWonders="8"/>
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_SMALL"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="15" DefaultMinorCivs="25" MaxActiveReligions="8" NumNaturalWonders="12"/>
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_STANDARD"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="20" DefaultMinorCivs="34" MaxActiveReligions="11" NumNaturalWonders="16"/>
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_LARGE"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="25" DefaultMinorCivs="42" MaxActiveReligions="13" NumNaturalWonders="20"/>
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_HUGE"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="30" DefaultMinorCivs="50" MaxActiveReligions="16" NumNaturalWonders="24"/>
        </Update>
    </Worlds>
Received table like this during the game:
upload_2020-4-24_15-58-8.png

Problems are:
  • Default minor civs are not what we can see in that table. When I choose Small, I get 12 instead of 25;
  • Wonder number is still default; I should have 12, and I get 4;
  • Religions number didn't change in the table;
Mods: VP, IGE, Tectonic (here was the file).

So after a couple of successful King games, I've decided to try to upgrade to Emperor. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts, the closest I've gotten was with the Iroquois trying to diplomatic victory only to have the Netherlands snowball so fast in such a small amount of time that I've never seen before.

By Renaissance, I have a comfortable lead on my Pangaea with one small vassal. Netherlands is on his own on an island on the far side of the map I can't get to: I have a couple of AI's between us. He launches a naval assault on Persia with Sea Beggars, takes a 4 of his coastal cities. From then on he snowballs in techs so hard that he gets to the information era when most of us are late-Industrial. Everyone including me has about ~49-51 techs (very competitive which is great!) while he has about 70+ (uh oh) on his way to complete the Space Race and gets 100% of the wonders Renaissance and Industrial onwards except Slater Mill which he skipped. Additionally, after that invasion he was well on his way through his Ideology while everyone else was beginning their 3rd policy tree.

I've heard that AI's get bonuses for accomplishments like completing wonders, so I'm wondering if I can reduce that somehow as 'training wheels' for Emperor. Also maybe anyone has general strategies for dealing with snowballs with 15-20 tech advantages and 1+ trees of policies more? I probably should have nipped it in the bud right after his successful invasion, but I was waiting for an advantage over Sea Beggars before warring which was a bit too late...

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/advice-for-emperor-difficulty-playing-wide.648154/

Made a thread a long while back asking for help with the King-to-Emperor jump which should be of use, though in regards to snowballs the simple answer is "You're not allowed to let it get to that point"; The moment you recognize one of the AIs are getting out of line you have to put everything you've got into wrecking them, even if it means bulldozing through whatever's standing between you and them. Sometimes there'll be a warmonger who might be big enough to be willing to join you and might be in a position to actually do so, but more likely it's just going to be your army of (hopefully) veteran Davids versus their Goliath tech-lead. It's a bad circumstance to be in but the silver lining is that if you succeed then there'll probably be no one left in the lobby who can deal with your ass, either.

Thanks Orky Boss, lots of great relevant tips there since I like going wide.
I'm definitely finding myself needing to use my military much more efficiently and just be more aggressive while being smart about it.

I sometimes watch some Immortal/Diety-level Vox Populi Let's Plays on Youtube and skip to the end and see a whole continent or map completely controlled by the player. Maybe that's what it takes!

I have a problem. I added code like this:
Code:
<Worlds>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_DUEL"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="5" DefaultMinorCivs="8" MaxActiveReligions="3" NumNaturalWonders="4"/>     
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_TINY"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="10" DefaultMinorCivs="17" MaxActiveReligions="6" NumNaturalWonders="8"/>
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_SMALL"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="15" DefaultMinorCivs="25" MaxActiveReligions="8" NumNaturalWonders="12"/>
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_STANDARD"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="20" DefaultMinorCivs="34" MaxActiveReligions="11" NumNaturalWonders="16"/>
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_LARGE"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="25" DefaultMinorCivs="42" MaxActiveReligions="13" NumNaturalWonders="20"/>
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Where Type="WORLDSIZE_HUGE"/>
            <Set DefaultPlayers="30" DefaultMinorCivs="50" MaxActiveReligions="16" NumNaturalWonders="24"/>
        </Update>
    </Worlds>
Received table like this during the game:
View attachment 553292

Problems are:
  • Default minor civs are not what we can see in that table. When I choose Small, I get 12 instead of 25;
  • Wonder number is still default; I should have 12, and I get 4;
  • Religions number didn't change in the table;
Mods: VP, IGE, Tectonic (here was the file).

Bump.

And second question: Where can I find latest version of "AssignStartingPlots.lua" changed by VP?

Last edited:
Top Bottom