Quick Questions , Quick Answers

When you get a quest to build X or y unit/buildings do upgrades qualify? As I got a quest to make 12 ports (long after all my ports were commerical ports) and build seven caravels (a turn before I got sloops and the build queue automarically updated).

If not, that might be a bug, if it's triggering when you cannot possibly complete it because you've already passed that point?

Events generally are very buggy and unsupported, they all need revision

Right, thanks. Okay, I can just ignore it then. (I had previously had events and they were fine, so...)

Actually, second question - do minor civs become full civs over time? (I'm on v40.1 I think, by the way, 1600 turns in, so not gonna update if it stands a chance of breaking the saves...)

Only I've got a bit of barbarianpocaylse going on the AI on account of me being... A bit far ahead, shall we say, and I'm wondering whether when I presume the barbrian state eventually becomes a minor civ (there's two floaitng around) whether it will eventually become a regular one and what the trigger is (as it Idon't it's writing, as the two that are around I'm pretty sure got that?)

Last edited:
Right, thanks. Okay, I can just ignore it then. (I had previously had events and they were fine, so...)

Actually, second question - do minor civs become full civs over time? (I'm on v40.1 I think, by the way, 1600 turns in, so not gonna update if it stands a chance of breaking the saves...)

Only I've got a bit of barbarianpocaylse going on the AI on account of me being... A bit far ahead, shall we say, and I'm wondering whether when I presume the barbrian state eventually becomes a minor civ (there's two floaitng around) whether it will eventually become a regular one and what the trigger is (as it Idon't it's writing, as the two that are around I'm pretty sure got that?)
Do you have the barbarian Civ setting on? You can change it in the big menu in game. You can also update what the requirements are for Barbs to become minors. I think in mine the city needs a pop of 3. Not sure exactly what makes minors grow up.

Were seasonal camps removed?

Do you have the barbarian Civ setting on? You can change it in the big menu in game. You can also update what the requirements are for Barbs to become minors. I think in mine the city needs a pop of 3. Not sure exactly what makes minors grow up.

I'll look at that tomorrow, thanks.

What makes a minor into a normal civ?

According to the pedia either conquering a city or reaching a certain population. I’m not 100% but I think I saw one get promoted after reaching classical in tech.

To have random chance of resource discovery?
They can discover renaissance and later era resources.....
I was under the impression that actual improvements - mine, farm, etc - had higher discovery chances if more specific in category, though I didn't confirm that.
If I'm wrong, it's easy enough to toss back in or edit discovery chances to make more sense (some peeps chilling on a summer vacay should not have higher resource discovery chance than an actual mine or farm!)
Though, will do so tomorrow, about to sleep now lol

Last edited:
I was under the impression that actual improvements - mine, farm, etc - had higher discovery chances if more specific in category, though I didn't confirm that.
If I'm wrong, it's easy enough to toss back in or edit discovery chances to make more sense (some peeps chilling on a summer vacay should not have higher resource discovery chance than an actual mine or farm!)
Though, will do so tomorrow, about to sleep now lol
I think most of those had equal chances to discover resources, maybe other improvements deserve more resources to find?
Also its now weighted average or something to discover resource - so one improvement with 5 and other with 50 resources have equal chances, if they all have chance of discovery lets say 1/1000.

Rarer resources get higher chances of discovery.
This improvement is essentially placeholder before we get units, that can discover random resources.

Well the weird thing about seasonal camps, it says in the pedia they can be built by modern units but they can't.

I thought something was different. Why was it changed? And it is possible to change back in XML?

Where in XML? I checked unit info and terrain improvement info, there is nothing there that blocks it.

Thank you, found it.

Whether a unit has a build as an option doesn't have any connection to whether the improvement that gets built has similar prerequisites or is even obsoleted potentially. It would be very easy to sweepingly add a bunch of builds to more advanced worker units that they can't actually build because the improvements that get placed by those builds are already obsolete by the time the unit is given its tech prerequisite.

It would be very easy to sweepingly add a bunch of builds to more advanced worker units that they can't actually build because the improvements that get placed by those builds are already obsolete by the time the unit is given its tech prerequisite.
I actually just wrote a script to mostly automate the removal of builds that workers shouldn't be able to do (if build obsoletes before the era in which the worker is unlocked, or build unlocks in era after worker obsoletes, latter being to promote upgrading ones workforce); the workerInfo xml file went from 12k lines to 4k.

Reasoning was readability of code and pedia, as well as potentially minor perf; there are so many places in the code that a loop gets run through every single worker build action; for instance on each turn, every owned tile is checked against every single worker build action whether that action is a road that can be built (looping again), finding the best improvement to be built on a tile looping thru build actions, etc etc. It's not big gains, but it's not nothing either.

It'd also make it easier/better for adjusting worker AI to be more of "what is the best improvement I can make" instead of "what is the best improvement of all improvements", which might make more sense for later during AI revision.

Last edited:
Top Bottom