quick survey on alert/heal behavior

ilteroi

Prince
there was a change recently causing healing units to wake up when enemies are around (because i lost some scouts ...)

now apparently other players find this behaviour tedious because they like to heal units near the frontline, which now constantly wake up.

so, summary of the current status of the wakeup behavior for the different missions:

1. sleep: wake up only when close to dying
2. fortify: same as sleep but get a defensive bonus (not available for all units)
3. heal: wake up when fully healed or enemy around
4. alert: wake up when enemy is around

despite the different names, all missions heal the unit!

possible proposals:

3a) heal: wake up when fully healed or close to dying
3b) heal: wake up when fully healed
4a) alert: wake up when fully healed or enemy around

edit:
3c) heal: wake up when fully healed or damaged

opinions?

Last edited:
Yes, the "Healing" units constantly waking up are very tedious. Personally, I would prefer if:
1. Sleep - wakeup only when unit takes damage. If I wanted them to wake up when enemies are around I'd put them on alert instead.
2. Fortify - Defensive bonus, never wakes up. When I put units into fortify usually it's my swordsmen/other melee units tanking hits from enemy cities/ranged units. I'd prefer if they never woke up because I'm constantly monitoring their hp on the frontlines anyway.
3. Heal - wakeup only when fully healed or takes damage. I imagine most players do their healing on the frontlines as well so waking up when enemies are around makes it tedious.

probably impossible but i'd like it best if "alert" was a toggle that could be enabled per-unit alongside the 3b) version above (or any of the other "do nothing" options), and thus also allows for 4a) when desired

alternatively maybe 4a) is best, though i don't particularly mind the current state

question: is "fortify" command necessary to receive defensive bonus? iirc any unit that ends a turn with full movement points in a tile receives the bonus, if unit is eligible?

i did not invent this. but sleep and fortify already are mutually exclusive in the UI, even have the same shortcut

4a) alert: wake up when fully healed or enemy around

I would like this, combined with a "heal" mission that didn't wake up when the enemy was around, only when fully healed (the old behavior.) That way people can choose in each circumstance, for example alerting their damaged pathfinder but healing their City Garrison.

Wait what? Putting units to sleep doesn’t give them the defensive fortify bonus? Why would you ever put units to sleep, it sounds strictly worse?

I just want it back the way it was. It was a perfectly serviceable set of actions before, the sleep vs fortify thing not withstanding.

Reissuing the same order to the same unit every turn is pretty terrible, especially in the early game when you aren't doing anything else for several turns except pressing (H) repeatedly.

In my perfect world:

1) Alert: Stay still until an enemy unit is within its movement range of the unit (aka horses 4 hexes back), then ping me.
2) Fortify: Never ping me, you just stay defensive until I tell you otherwise.
3) Heal: Keep healing unless directly attacked.
4) Sleep: Removed. I don't see the point of this compared to fortify.

In my perfect world:

1) Alert: Stay still until an enemy unit is within its movement range of the unit (aka horses 4 hexes back), then ping me.
This.

In my perfect world:

deal. except for sleep, it's mutually exclusive with fortify anyway

Wait what? Putting units to sleep doesn’t give them the defensive fortify bonus? Why would you ever put units to sleep, it sounds strictly worse?
Actually, heal, sleep, do nothing, and alert gives a defensive bonus as well, on two conditions:
1. Unit hasn't moved this turn.
2. Unit isn't mounted/armored.

No idea why both sleep and fortify exists for non-mounted/non-armored units though, as mentioned earlier they do basically the same thing.

Last edited:
I think names are misleading.

We need
1 Hold. Never awake.
2 Rest. Awake after healing or on enemy in sight.
3 Shield. Awake after healing or on receiving damage.

Any unit that has not moved gets fortified status.

That's it.
(basically what stalker0 proposed, with more clear names).

Edit. If sleep must stay, then it could be
4 Sleep. Awake only after receiving damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom