R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Viewing your ally's map is vital. But yeah, DOWs out of an alliance would be good!

Yeah viewing the map is essential. And I don't even think being able to view an allies map outside of teams is even possible, though gedemon would know better. Obviously it would great if it could be implemented, but not at the cost of blinding the player.

Also are you going to implement strategic bombing? And better planes that can take out troops on the ground?

Strategic bombing is kind of implemented. If you bomb a city enough then some of the surrounding improvements are temporarily damaged. But strategic bombing never really had much impact on the course of the real war anyway so I don't see why it should do so in this game.

Also there are currently two bomber classes that work well against ground forces: attack aircraft and fast bombers, both with their own flaws and uses. Also I think gedemon said that fighter-bombers would be implemented in the next update.

The supply system I think needs a little work as well. One of my tanks was cut off right outside one of my cities in America.

The supply system is honestly one of my favourite parts of the mod. It really forces you to consider the logistics of any battle and really changes the gameplay to make it more in depth. It also forces you to carefully plan any offensives you try, which kind of sounds like what happened to you.

Another thing is the dates of Germany declaring war against all the other civs. The dates are all correct, but when France is invading Germany and then Germany goes on to declare war on the USSR it gets kind of ridiculous. My suggestion is that the AI can't declare war on the next country until a condition is met. Like Germany can't declare war on the USSR until France is out.

Are you playing on a 1936 map? In 1939 Germany generally tears into france pretty quickly, but I know that on the 1936 maps certain countries that should start the war with small militaries are given plenty of time to prepare, meaning that the balance is a little off. As a rule I'd say that unless your playing as France (and a pretty good player) Germany should steamroll france in time for the eastern front. But having germany only declare war on russia if france is defeated would mean that playing as france becomes impossible.

After that last post I had a couple of ideas about the 1936 maps, though since it looks as if those maps aren't going to be worked on in the near future I'm not sure how much use this will be.

1. One of the favourite things I found on the 1936 maps was that the spanish civil war was actually being fought. Having heard of plans of diplomatic missions for Iraq and Iran, I was wondering if something similiar could be implemented for the spanish civil war. Perhaps establishing convoy routes between germany and the USSR and their respective sides that give resources and units.

I suppose the main benefit of these would be in allowing the friendly city state to survive thus giving you some resources per turn. But maybe some benefits that aren't true to real life? Like maybe fully allieing themselves with their supporting civ? Or less game breaking benefits, like allowing open borders so that germany/italy could launch an operation against gibraltar? Or maybe after the civil war is over they give units to the supporter civ?

And maybe civs could compete for favour with certain sides? Like France and the UK competing with the USSR for influence over the republicans, while Germany and Italy could compete for the Nationalists (not sure how that would work).

Anyway this could help fill the void between the start of the game and the actual fighting for certain civs.

2. This suggestion probably wouldn't work with the first one, oddly enough, but I'll put it here anyway.

I was looking at gedemons historical dates mod (sadly I've not actually played it yet, too busy trying out the revolutions mod ;)) and had the idea that something like this could be implemented in this mod. Basically that certain civs would skip a few of the first years and startup at a better date, rather than back in 1936.

I understand that the giant earth mod starts in 1936 for the start of the China Japan front but this leaves certain civs waiting for years, like Greece until 1940 and America until 1941, which if I can remember right is half of the playable time.

I understand that another reason the game starts in 1936 is so that civ's have time to prepare for the war, so maybe the civs start a couple of years before their war starts, like Germany, France, Italy and the UK start in 1937/8, Greece in 1938/9, and the USSR and America in 1939.

The main problem I could see is that this could cause earlier starting civs like Japan to gain a massive lead in military terms, which could be countered by adding extra units to the late starting civs. Also I suppose that AI players will have to be frozen as well.

I don't how possible this is, and looking back now it sound like a massive job for just a couple of maps that aren't even working properly right now. Also I know that for both maps (and the mod in general) theres a lot else needing done before anything like these two ideas could be implemented.

Now that the mod got a DLL side, it may be possible to share visibility without being a team, and that's something I'd like to be able to use on the base game too (trade "share intelligence" with another civilization). But no promises, and by extension absolutely no ETA.

The 1936 maps will be part of what I want to work on during the next version beta test, but yes, we'll have to fix the current problems on those before thinking of new features...

Diplomacy interaction with Minor Civs is something that I want to add to all scenarios anyway.

About that planned "next beta test" (announced since months now...), I still want to work on some of the features of my other mods (the Revolution/Dynamic History/Combat & Stacking Overhaul group, and the not yet released R.E.D. Xtended), and then I'll switch back to R.E.D. WWII development. And believe me, I'm as impatient as you to continue this :D

If you want to add a unit like workers and Great Engineers, They have only one use but they can make farms and Manufactures, or other stuff. This mod revolves mostly around warfare and i want to help out my cities infrastructure a bit more! I know you have buildings that you can make that help you with this but i want to be able to improve those useless cities that can only recruit, buy bonds, or improve wealth. If this is added for change history mode that would be good. :)

About that planned "next beta test" (announced since months now...), I still want to work on some of the features of my other mods (the Revolution/Dynamic History/Combat & Stacking Overhaul group, and the not yet released R.E.D. Xtended), and then I'll switch back to R.E.D. WWII development. And believe me, I'm as impatient as you to continue this :D
Scratch that, I need a change, so work has begun on v.39.

beta *soon* :D

If you want to add a unit like workers and Great Engineers, They have only one use but they can make farms and Manufactures, or other stuff. This mod revolves mostly around warfare and i want to help out my cities infrastructure a bit more! I know you have buildings that you can make that help you with this but i want to be able to improve those useless cities that can only recruit, buy bonds, or improve wealth. If this is added for change history mode that would be good. :)
combat engineers are planned, but with limited build list.

Hi Gedemon,
congratulation for the mod. I can suggest you some improvement for WWII.
In my opinion North America/Europe 1936 scenario will be more interesting with the gameplay and the features you use on Europe 1939-45.
Waiting for testing your v 39 beta version I write this suggestions:
1) In the UK map you can insert Scapa Flow (also like a city) near the Shetland Islands as the main naval base of the british float;
2) In the battle, you can consider the possibility that a military unit surrounded by the enemy can be captured as prisoner of war and transported to the nearest city (where, if u build a concentration camp, can be employed to increase the production). The captured unit can be released if is joined by his membership army during the transfert;
3) You can insert the Great General of Army that improve the strenght (offensive and defensive) and the morale of the adiacent military unit.
4) I know that you are working on it but the workers units are very important to build railroads, airbases, fortifications, concentration camps, and also mined camps (i don't know if civilization V have this possibility). I remember an older version of this game that have this feature (mined camps on terrain and sea tiles). The destroyer unit could eliminate the mined camps in the sea.
5) In North AMerica/Europe 1936 scenario the UK seems to have transit rights in italy until june 1940. This is historically wrong and british cant attack germany from italian borders in 1939/1940.
6) In both europe 1939/1945 and North America Europe 1936 scenarios after the conquest of Paris by German army in 1940 should be created the Vichy Regime for the occupied France leaded by Mar. Petain, while the free France will continue the fight leaded by General De Gaulle. The France Float should be in Vichy hands.
7) Other things that improve your mod could be the espionage activity (i think is not simple to do) and improve the possibility of change the diplomatic relationship between nations.

Do you think it's possible to insert some of this suggestions?
Sorry for my english :)

Thanks for this mod. I know it has been brought up but I would like to reiterate that 'Operation Torch' needs to happen and if there is a way for the A.I. to reprioritze its bombing tactics to not sit and bomb a city (which inevitably regenerates).

Thanks for the suggestion :D

1) In the UK map you can insert Scapa Flow (also like a city) near the Shetland Islands as the main naval base of the british float;
Yep, I'll add that to the to do list.

2) In the battle, you can consider the possibility that a military unit surrounded by the enemy can be captured as prisoner of war and transported to the nearest city (where, if u build a concentration camp, can be employed to increase the production). The captured unit can be released if is joined by his membership army during the transfert;
Not realist at the strategic scale of the scenarios IMO. (and too much coding for one mechanism)

3) You can insert the Great General of Army that improve the strenght (offensive and defensive) and the morale of the adiacent military unit.
Nop, the AI don't know how to use GG.

4) I know that you are working on it but the workers units are very important to build railroads, airbases, fortifications, concentration camps, and also mined camps (i don't know if civilization V have this possibility). I remember an older version of this game that have this feature (mined camps on terrain and sea tiles). The destroyer unit could eliminate the mined camps in the sea.
I don't plan to add mine field, but maybe give 1-2 HP damage to any units capturing a tile. (to represent the difficulty to make secure enemy territory, including minefield)

Problem here is also the AI.

5) In North AMerica/Europe 1936 scenario the UK seems to have transit rights in italy until june 1940. This is historically wrong and british cant attack germany from italian borders in 1939/1940.
That's something the AI has traded, it's not part of the mod.

But preventing attacks from neutral territory is planned.

6) In both europe 1939/1945 and North America Europe 1936 scenarios after the conquest of Paris by German army in 1940 should be created the Vichy Regime for the occupied France leaded by Mar. Petain, while the free France will continue the fight leaded by General De Gaulle. The France Float should be in Vichy hands.
That's already in :confused:

7) Other things that improve your mod could be the espionage activity (i think is not simple to do) and improve the possibility of change the diplomatic relationship between nations.
Diplomatic change with CS is planned.

No spies, but a mechanism for decryption of enemy communication (show units in Fog of War) is planned.

Thanks for this mod. I know it has been brought up but I would like to reiterate that 'Operation Torch' needs to happen and if there is a way for the A.I. to reprioritze its bombing tactics to not sit and bomb a city (which inevitably regenerates).
Both are planned.

I was wondering if it would be possible to add an option, which would allow you to "force upgrade" say a Panzer 3 unit to something higher up the food chain?
I sadly have a feeling it would/could confuse the AI, so if possible maybe as a human player option only ?

The idea is that in later periods of the war, if the AI has followed suit, you dont really need your early models units not matter how experienced they are. :)

I was wondering if it would be possible to add an option, which would allow you to "force upgrade" say a Panzer 3 unit to something higher up the food chain?
I sadly have a feeling it would/could confuse the AI, so if possible maybe as a human player option only ?

The idea is that in later periods of the war, if the AI has followed suit, you dont really need your early models units not matter how experienced they are. :)
I will surely code the upgrade mechanism I've talked about in the beta thread:

- "light" upgrade with low cost (Panzer IV to Panzer IV Ausf G for example)
- "heavy" upgrade with higher cost (Panzer IV Ausf H to Panther for example)

the "heavy" upgrade may required a project to be activated.

The idea of having a "heavy" upgrade activated by a project actually sounds good, since I guess it wouldnt confuse the AI too much.

A other thing I've thought about was some sort of forced catch up mechanic for the AI, for those situations where you get way ahead be it in terms of conquest or project research. Say Germany is AI controlled and being forced way back, in such situations it wouldnt make sense seeing them pumping out low level tanks and such. Mid range proberly and some high end, but at some certain point certain unit types should be made obsolete.

That's linked. Unit with an upgrade are already obsolete with the current code.
Adding the second type of upgrade will make all units using it obsolete too (aka removed from the build list) at some point.

hi GEDEMON,
thanks for the answer.
i'm playing europe 1939-45 scenario with version 37 beta as Germany and after the conquest of Paris no VICHY regime is created. i conquest Marseille in 1941. i dont remember if are allowed scrpts events...
another thing: Greek Army is too strong and offensive. in 1941 attack and conquest Bulgaria and part of Romania..i think it should be strong but defensive only.

p.s. is already avalaible version 39 beta 2? i don't find the download..

i'm playing europe 1939-45 scenario with version 37 beta as Germany and after the conquest of Paris no VICHY regime is created. i conquest Marseille in 1941. i dont remember if are allowed scrpts events...
You've not allowed the scripted event.

another thing: Greek Army is too strong and offensive. in 1941 attack and conquest Bulgaria and part of Romania..i think it should be strong but defensive only.
Bulgaria and Romania will get more units.

p.s. is already avalaible version 39 beta 2? i don't find the download..
See the first post of the beta thread :)

Hello All,

THank you GEDEMON!!!! This is a great mod, I eagerly await the next update. I have said it a couple times and here is one more, I hope the enemy air units get a rebuff so they don't just endlessly attack a city that is regenerating. The Anti-air unit could use a different set of promotions too. And one last thing and I think this is THE MOST IMPORTANT. . .it would be very nice if the U.S.S.R. infantry was easier to heal (i.e. bring the reenforcement cost down a couple points) this would balance the game better against a well played Germany. Thank you again!

edit - Oh, and Operation Torch is another must to balance the power of a well played Germany. Many, Many American/British troops need to land and start taking Vichy N.Africa with a trigger that turns all Vichy against the Axis with 'x' number of towns taken by allies. I think this landing should be evry 5 turns and NON-stopping for an entire year or so. Thank you for listening!

I may add another mechanism similar to the damage transferred to the nearby improvements to make sure attacks on cities are not wasted by bombers: damage the buildings if there is no more improvements left around it.

The promotion trees will get a lots of changes (I don't know if I will include that during the v.39 betas or later, but it's definitively needed)

And the version I'm working on already have a small reduction of reinforcement cost for Infantry, it will be in v.39 beta4. :)

Top Bottom