R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Hi! I really loved this mod and wanted to play it, but unfortunately I have a bog problem. Looked like all my files were fine, all downloads well downloaded, the space available and Civ5 the latest version. But for some reason I keep getting a pop-up just after i press "Start Game"

The problem is you are using a Mac. Civ 5 mods can be used on a Mac, but you need to find the workarounds. They should be on this forum somewhere.

Report on a 1939–1945 game: de Gaulle, January 1946

Experimental changes to mod:

—All light, heavy, cruiser, and infantry tanks and mech infy (a unit I have not been able to make buildable but gave to France at game start) are “special” units that can stack with divisions just like artillery. I didn’t do anything to adjust their strengths, but the idea was to make them act more like support regiments attached to infantry bit also to armor. (Germany uses PzIIs and PzIIIs together very effectively.) This is not exactly realistic but no worse than having independent AT/AA/Arty regiments and a reduced number of infantry divisions.
—Major national total populations have been adjusted to reflect actual 1939 populations (metropole+possessions=total=2x(1939 population in millions)):
GR = 17+0=17
FR = 85+2=87
IT = 88+2=90 (also added Taranto)
BR = 96+9=105 (London = 40)
GE = 158+23=181
RU = 300 (portion on map)+0 (offmap)=300
—All non-German armored divisions removed at game start, because no one but the Germans concentrated their armor into divisions until the Russians and Americans figured it out.
—Added industry improvements for France and the UK. Added units at Sidi Barrani and Suez for the UK (to stop Italy) and in France, Belgium, and the Netherlands.
—Added hills and forest to the Black Forest, slowing a German attack there as much as possible and encouraging mobile attacks through Belgium and the Ardennes. Made Brussels, Metz, and Strasbourg walled towns + barracks to simulate the Maginot Line and Belgian fortifications.

Observations:

(1) Germany started early and occupied all of France by the end of 1941. It mostly attacked through the low countries, with Amsterdam and Brussels falling before Metz and Strasbourg but Paris falling well after both. After Brussels fell, the front line ran right along the French border from the Channel to Strasbourg. Of course France retreated successfully.
(2) Colonial France took Libya and took Rome by 1945. To do this, I gave myself 10000 of “American” gold to build up Libya’s supply capacity, but I invaded Italy with forces I had saved from the fall of France. After Rome, I gave myself a few extra divisions. Italy was passive and conquered by 1946 (except Rhodes).
(3) Germany never produced any PzVs. It never got farther east than Poland. Russia took Berlin by mid-1945 and continues to grind through Europe. It seems to have only T-28s.
(4) Britain had no desire or capacity for invasion, with only 6 air units by 1944 and no money. So I simulated a British D-Day with the IGE, teleporting a few divisions to Normandy in mid-1944 and adding to them as needed. These forces had broken out south of Caen by the end of 1945, as I landed French forces west of Marseille.
(5) Britain ignored two German destroyers hanging out in the Channel even though it had the firepower to erase them. I had to send my sub fleet around to kill them.

Conclusions:

—Germany’s behavior responds at least somewhat to map conditions.
—Either project research for all nations stalled around 1941, or no country is able to upgrade its units or build new ones.
—Russia is too strong at the beginning and Germany too weak. I don’t know what Germany needs, but it needs something to make it more aggressive in the east. IRL, Germany embarked on Barbarossa with only 20 panzer divisions and support, only 6 of them experienced and most of their equipment PzIIIs or older (even Pz (38t)s). It shouldn’t need massive numbers of PzIVs to reach Moscow and Stalingrad.
—The western Allies can’t function without American support. Without the US, this scenario is all “hang on and wait for Russia.” Totally accurate! This game could easily run another four years.
— National population doesn’t seem to matter for most countries. Greece still kicks ass even at half the population. Russia behaves correctly—slow and steady—if it isn’t eliminated early. But the main drawback of this mod so far is that Russia runs no risk of elimination by Germany whatsoever.

Another observation: The AI doesn't seem to know what howitzers are for, or at least that they can be used offensively, as for example vs cities.

Hello everyone.
I play mode Earth 1942 and I reached 38 Turns when the game is crash. First crashing game happened to me on turn 16, when French unit were in action. French unit is attacking the city. I load previous turn and this crashing game I overcame when I kill already mentioned French unit. Again crashing game at turn 38 had been formed by the action of France, but now I can not visible reason / unit that would be caused.
Why game crash during the France action?

Could we play as Finland (probably suicidal considering the soviet onslaught that awaits you) and try to fend off the russians when they attack during the winter war and then during the continuation war fight alongside the nazi germany and take back your old land, and if germans shall fail, then try to push the germans out of finlands in the lapland-war for peace with the soviet union. Wouldnt that be cool? It also would bring a lot of challenge considering that the finnish cities are utter crap. And it also would be wonderful to fkx the "fall of france" script so i could play with the custom scripts again.:sad:

First just want to say amazing mod. I'm enjoying this almost more than the original game and really hope someday soon a full game will come out that's similar to this.
A couple things I've noticed while playing is first japan seems to really struggle and most of my games downright fails to make any headway against china. While I play as the us. Japan's navy, a large portion of it anyway, parks itself right outside of my west coast cities instead of engaging Chinese port cities and units. They never make too much headway in the pacific and really takes away the realism of the Japanese expansion and threat to the Us.
I think changing the diplomatic status to neutral until they declare war on the us might help with this but your the badass modder here so maybe you have a good fix for it.
Another problem I'm having is building howitzers. Especially with Germany there seems to be a certain time that after which howitzers become unavailable to build. Is there a reason for this?
Again just an absolute awesome mod and you deserve a job making some big games haha I'd sure as he'll play them. appreciate any feedback

Another question for ya, I can't seem to build certain units like the p-40. I've researched it, built factories and small aircraft factories but only have the p-36 available.

The problem is you are using a Mac. Civ 5 mods can be used on a Mac, but you need to find the workarounds. They should be on this forum somewhere.

YEGOR01 - I wonder if you found a fix to this.

I'm trying on OSX, and I've attempted to install the WWII RED Mod and data files mod using the OSX "Civ5 Enable Steam Mods" tool by AlanH here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13282382#post13282382 - and it seems to work, but I get a similar crash.

I only have the basic Civ5 (which seems to now include Gods and Kings).

Does this WWII mod perhaps require an elevated expansion pack?

I have an Idea: Partisans. Partisans will spawn randomly in certain regions and will be around 1-2 units and they will be weaker than normal units, however they can still cut off roads and attack industry. So you have to keep garisions to not get your stuff destroyed.

Yes that's something planned since the beginning (see french trait) but I hadn't find the time to implement the mechanism yet...

Make Aircraft less op. Attacking an Infantry in an open field with a Ju-88 with bombardment 2 does 7-10 damage.

I've had a lot of requests to buff aircraft, but you're the first actually asking for a nerf IIRC, can you explain a bit more your opinion on why this is OP ?

Well only some planes. If I do a ground attack mission they can do 7-10 damage and if they have logistics they can probably do 14-20 damage a turn. And they take only around 1 damage except if they are getting intercepted but that isnt a huge problem for fast bombers. And at max 10 attacks to destroy an entire infantry division compared to the many more attacks it takes infantry seems unbalanced.

Hmm maybe reducing the effectivness after 1 air attack. Units wouldnt just stand around, they would try to hide or find other positions where they wont be attacked easily. I would say this penalty would be more against ground attack aircraft because they look for targets compared to just bombing an area.

Or you could just rebalance the promotions like what you did with the ground units.

I was pondering a limit like for cities since the beginning, I'm not happy with the ability to kill a unit from bombing, but instead of a hard limit I may adapt what you're proposing, it make sense to be able to give higher damage when the unit is at max health than when it's dispersed in smaller groups.

Top Bottom