R21 - wov

Looks like a nice turnset there! Good capturing!

Sure we can afford another war soon enough - just need to get the economy back on its feet after Djenne!

Ah - there's lots better than tanks - if we're rushing for an IWIN button, I find Nationalism and Rifling to be quite silly enough? But sure we've got the steam and opposition for a nice little medieval war or two. :)

Believe it's my turn to play next - is that correct?

Rough plan is to finish off Djenne and then work on the economy.

I'm going out of town today, will be back on sunday. Take Djenne then rebuild economy, build army and take out Mansa
Hopefully only the first two things are meant to get realized.. Otherwise the set will take some time! :D

All jokes aside: In case we want to get Mansa down the fastet way we need to head towards engeneering for the trebs! Needing three to four cats per city is much too expensive I think!

Will see how we do - trebs would be nice, but we are in a minor tech hole and if we wait for them, we might well be facing muskets?

Should be able to play the set tomorrow evening. Could play now, but am quite drunk - a bad state for economic growth pans. :lol:

Apologies for the delay - turnset is taking slightly longer than I anticipated! Nearly done, but off out today, will finish it off and post tomorrow.

Economy is looking a touch healthier and we have Djenne!

That was a nice drinky weekend - and lovely weather - more of those please!

Well Houston - we may have a little bit of a problem! :o

Turn 135, Have a look at the save - we're somewhat backward and broke! The tech hole isn't too deep - the AIs are just one tier ahead of us. It's our army that's costing the cash, so strangely I think that war is profitable right now - use units and capture cities will both lower that cost.

Tweak the city MM a little for some growth and commerce. Hire a prophet in the capital - in 21 turns, we'll get one and can, I think, should use it on a shrine in Djenne - the culture and money will both be useful. I also slot in a chariot before the colluseam in the capital - get that GG medic rolling.

I trade construction to Augustus for Currency, Monotheism and 45g - a good deal for us and our GPT jumps right away. Queue up Code of Laws as the next tech - if we expand too much more we'll need courthouses and also Caste system might have it's uses if we get stuck in a real tech hole.

Turn 136 - Bomb down Djenne, Asoka brings a no hoper stack up next to Gao. Divert a pair of workers back to the capital to get silver fishing city up and running.

Turn 137 - Asoka moves the little stack past Gao - off plundering are we? Capital finishes a chariot and goes back to the colluseam. The chariot is turned into a Medic 3 + Morale super healer and moved towards the front. Finish bombing down Djenne.

Turn 138 - IBT Mansa attacks out of Djenne - loses a catapult and a crossbow, but kills one of our axes with a sword - lucky gimp. I clean up Asokas exploring stack - with no losses. Now is a good time for a revolt - switch to Organised Religion.

Turn 139 - GG supermedic arrives next to Djenne - heal the Keshiks and we'll be ready next turn. Revolt to Judeism.

Turn 140 - throw 2 catapults at Djenne, then follow up with Keshiks. Lose 1 Keshik, kill 2 longbows, a crossbow and a spear. Karakorum is founded by the silver.

Turn 141 - lose a pair of Keshiks against Djenne - which is annoying as the city is left with a single critically injured horseman. Get a GG, which is sent to City #3 - going to settle it as that city will be building a lot of military!

Turn 142 - Djenne falls - enough cash to finish CoL.

Turn 143 - Mansa vasalises to Asoka. Interesting.

Turn 144 - get a good look into Timbuktu - interesting. We unfortunately lost a Keshik to a crossbow attack, which was annoying! I think we can push on.

Turn 145 - Kill an Indian Chariot. Move the stack forward towards Timbuktu.

Turn 146 - more skirmishing! Move the SoD towards Timbuktu.

Turn 147 - ??? Lost notes!

Turn 148 - Start shelling down Djenne. Capital finishes a market, starts on a Keshik. Suffer a very unfortunate revolt in Djenne - timing was really poor and it was at 1% - thems the breaks!

Turn 149 - continue to bomb down Djenne.

Turn 150 - yerk - this is bad. Mansa has turned up with pikes and knights - we're a little outclassed! :eek:

Not moved the units this turn - think we need to decide where to progress from here...

Attachments

• remake20 AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    174.4 KB · Views: 71
Doesn't seem that we can make progress now. Better retreat to Djenne and try to get peace. After that we need to fix the economy and upgrade our military. At least we have six decent cities.

Ah - part of the problem there is that Mansa has vasalised to Asoka and won't take peace for less than Djenne...

I saw that. What I meant was to retreat and hold Djenne until they are prepared to talk peace for less.

This does not look good. Um... the gold plan above sounds good. Otherwise we are way behind in tech. We need to see if we can get some tech trades with August.

I'm up now? I will play tomorrow, so we have another day for discussions. Building gold sounds like a decent short-term plan.

Just took a bit deeper look onto the save.. We can buy peace for at least all of our money.. Maybe Ashoka will take less, but we should pay the money he wants as we wont make anymore success in this war..
Even though we need to get our econ running, I'd purpose to build some more culture in our conquered cities, as otherwise Mansa will settle quite near and will take back the lands we grap from him..
And start running our cottages rather than working our farms. MAybe we even should start building cottages on some mined hills in our capital's BFC.. And let our cities grow to their happy cap!
Techwise I'm not that sure whether MC really would help.. We're far away from getting any trading-tech, and right now some decent city defender seems to help bit more than even more production. So maybe feud next would be the best idea.
About the upcoming GP: Maybe we should try to get a scientist next and bulb philo to have at least something in hands to trade with.. Using a prophet for the jud shrine seems to be a no brainer..

Apologies there - got distracted by the knights and pikes.

Figure you're right on the tech path. MC was a placeholder and would have made more sense had we taken Mansa's capital to get access to gold along with our silver...

I did wonder about a philo bulb instead of GPr - but the shrine seemed most useful. If we want a scientist now, it's 31 turns using 2 scientists. Might be worth switching to Caste and running a larger number if we want to go down that route?

I'd also prefer a GP. If we do get a GS (20% odds) then philo sounds ok, but it requires mediation and alphabet, which would cost us another 10 turns or so. Still worth it I guess, since we need something to trade with.

I played until I got Feudalism. It was a peaceful set, mainly focused on economic growth

Spoiler :

150: First we bought peace for 90 gold.

I then rearranged the tiles for commerce and growth. Research was changed to Feudalism.
154: We got a great prophet. I changed to scientists for a future GS.
157: The GP builds the Temple of Solomon which gives us 9gpt.
158: Courthouse in city#3 finished
159: growing cities...
160: Asoka settles the cow site south of the capital :(

162: Taoism founded in a foreign land
164: Got feodalism. Research set to CS but no beakers invested.

I stopped here because I think we need to discuss civic changes and research. Our army costs 12gpp and with vassalage we get free upkeep for 9 units. Should we keep slavery or not? I think we should switch to vassalage but keeping slavery for the time being.

I've set two cities to build settlers for the remaining backfill positions. We can afford them now. I think we need a few longbows just in case, but what is the long-term plan? I don't think we can attack again until we at least have trebs/pikes/macemen and/or knights. If we research CS in time perhaps we could trade with Augustus for machinery.

Attachments

• remake20 AD-1040.CivBeyondSwordSave
    180.3 KB · Views: 53
Nice set there!

Think 9Gpt and +2XP is worth the turns anarchy. Even if we don't keep it for *that* long?

Personally feel slavery offers more benefits than others - caste might be nice if we can leverage it properly - but I feel we currently lack the food for that?

Top Bottom