RADICAL CONCEPTS (to change the game)

It is.

That is one of the features I had already implemented for TAC.
I called it "European Wars".

There is also a similar feature "European Peace". (RaR only)
Your king might order you to end a war with another European Nation.

RaR contains several such DLL Diplomacy Events.

Both "TAC European Wars" and "R&R, ray, European Peace" features are random.
Open CvPlayer.cpp and see this part for "TAC European Wars":

Code:
	int randomEuropeWarValue = GC.getGameINLINE().getSorenRandNum(1000, "European War");
	int warChance = GC.getBASE_CHANCE_EUROPE_WARS();

// check if european war should occur
	if (warChance < randomEuropeWarValue)
	{
		return;
	}

My proposal is to add a real historical background, not random!

So, Russo-Swedish War (1554–1557) in Europe should mean that in this period (1554-1557) Russian and Swedish colonies in New World are in war, too.
Both Russian Tsar and Swedish King gives the orders to their colonies to start war and their colonies automatically start war in 1554.
The same in 1557. Both colonies automatically end war.

I'm not sure if I like the gameplay concept of specific countries declaring war on each other at a specific date. Players would figure it out and the Swedish human player would place his army ready to "surprise" attack Russia just before 1554. Russia on the other hand is totally unaware of a future war and will do nothing about it.

I like the concept of historical accuracy, but there is a limit to how accurate I want the game if it hurts gameplay.

I'm not sure if I like the gameplay concept of specific countries declaring war on each other at a specific date.

I feel the same.

But I have realized a long time ago that modding is a lot about personal taste.
There simply is no "wrong" or "right" when it comes to personal taste.

If you are working in a team, you will need to find some consense.

But otherwise every modder should simply implement the features he likes.
Other modders that like those features as well, can then simply adapt them.

@Don Senglar:
Good luck and a lot of fun with your modding. :thumbsup:

Yes, Timed events are more for the making of a scenario, like a Real Histories scenario.

As a 'Start Random Game System' it is as night said too predicatable that a player can 'cheat'.

That being said though players are free to play the game 'in the spirit' of it, or use their prophetic powers to beat the game into a bloody pulp (I have to say this is sometimes a much happier experience! :D)

I'm not sure if I like the gameplay concept of specific countries declaring war on each other at a specific date. Players would figure it out and the Swedish human player would place his army ready to "surprise" attack Russia just before 1554. Russia on the other hand is totally unaware of a future war and will do nothing about it.

I like the concept of historical accuracy, but there is a limit to how accurate I want the game if it hurts gameplay.

A potential work around to the terrible problem of predictability of war, which would arise out of a linear timed historical progression, is to create the high probability of war with the historically engaged country during the approximate time period.

Instead of war happening with the belligerent on the exact day it actually happened in history, war could possibly happen during the same general time period.

That could either be implemented by A) several multiple choice events that point to worsening relationships with the belligerent nation, which rot into war if the wrong choices are made and a random element of luck behind the scenes. Or B) without events by war randomly kicking off without warning (perhaps random -2 relations building with the nation without giving an explanation).

In either case, if war occurred, it would happen close to the date it started, but within time period of 20 years instead of the exact date.

Top Bottom