Raging Barbarians.

blinky501

Chieftain
due people actually play with this box checked becaouse this is the first time I tried and holy- do they spawn like crazy, basically a new one every turn. is this only good to do if you plan on going with the honor policy tree?

also it seems like everyone prefers tradition or liberty. are these the two best choices and is honor pretty much worthless. right now I have never put any points in honor so I am just curious if anbody goes the honor route.

thanks,
blinky501

due people actually play with this box checked becaouse this is the first time I tried and holy- do they spawn like crazy, basically a new one every turn. is this only good to do if you plan on going with the honor policy tree?
I always play with Raging Barbarians. Yes, they can get annoying, and it forces you to build a military earlier which can also be kind of annoying, but I like playing with that option so that there's more of an opportunity cost for not taking Honor.

Even so, I almost never end up taking Honor, but I like making that policy tree slightly more viable.

also it seems like everyone prefers tradition or liberty. are these the two best choices and is honor pretty much worthless. right now I have never put any points in honor so I am just curious if anbody goes the honor route.
I wouldn't say it's worthless. I've had many successful games going Honor. But it does force a certain playstyle on you, whereas both Tradition & Liberty are at least as effective for the warmonger-on-the-go, and you get more flexibility with them to boot.

I believe the consensus is that Honor is inferior to both Tradition & Liberty, especially if you're attempting to win the game as early as possible. Still, I have a lot of fun with the tree now & again, and I rather like the bonuses it gives you... even though, in the end, they're probably not as good as Tradition or Liberty.

raging barbs definitely raises the honor policy set to being on par with liberty or tradition (maybe not at deity level). With Honor you still need to work harder for culture and happiness. if you get enough culture early on then you should be able to get into the next social policy at about the same time as Tradition would.

a lot of people who don't normally use the raging setting would get frustrated quickly because it really ruins most of the standard opening strategies. The chaos at the beginning of the game is just nuts, you need to have at least one additional military unit for each worker, or they will get captured. If you dont build some units, your capitol can end up totally surrounded by barbs.

Personally I find raging barbs + a larger map size is a great combo with honor. Pick aztec or German civs and your off to the races. The larger map size keeps the barbs in the game longer.

I find it quit easy to ally City States with raging barbs. There is always a barb quest to do on the map ;-).

Also your army is leveled up nicely. Get only the start of Honor and you add some nice culture also.

I use an unlimited exp from Barbs mod. That plus RBs is OP for making excellent units.

You can farm barbs too. Aztecs can get ridiculous amount of culture from barb farming.

The thing that kills honor isnt honor itself but the unit maintenance cost. If you can maintain a large army placed everywhere around the world killing barbs it is actually very profitable even without raging barbs. Rush statue of zeus for early domination is also a viable path.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

What do you have to change in your early build orders in order to weather the storm of reaching barbarians? What are the best things to delay?

I was a big fan of Raging Barbs for G&K and vanilla. But not for BNW; I rather not increase the percentage of the AI's trade routes to me plundered by barbs nor having to disburse my navy to protect my routes .

Top Bottom