1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random-01: The Wheels Come Off

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by azaris, Sep 6, 2007.

1. stuge

stuge Emperor

My only beef with green is that it's one tile off the coast. A city on that peninsula will be much stronger on the coast. But then we'll miss on the gold, so it should be picked up by a city 1N of the pigs, along with the big lake and one floodplain.

2. njorls

njorls Prince

I would have put it where Azaris put it. It's not perfect since it's one off the coast, but you can't make things perfect all the time. Those 2 cities get all the good tiles (rice, clams, gold in green; incense, pigs and 2 FP in yellow) at the expense of neither being coastal.

Making both cities coastal would have us lose 1 floodplain and 2 grassland tiles. Those are both good tiles. And it costs an extra city, we want to grab as much land we can and Azaris's way does it pretty economically.

3. NoChildren

NoChildren Warlord

ok, Njorls i think you have me convinced. Your city placement might be better in the long run. I think that there also should be a city SW of the fish east of our captial.

4. stuge

stuge Emperor

The only tile we'd lose by going coastal is the floodplain, because we can then put a city 1W of the incense, grabbing the corn and all those grasslands.

Good catch, NoChildren. That's a great spot with the fish and crabs. Moai there?

5. njorls

njorls Prince

6. stuge

stuge Emperor

Yep, thanks for being not lazy for me. ;)

7. njorls

njorls Prince

Azaris's dotmap with a corn-cow city I added, for comparison:

8. njorls

njorls Prince

I think I like Stuge's map a little better when you consider all 3 cities. And as it's different from what I would have done I'm curious to see how it works out.

9. stuge

stuge Emperor

Ok people, let's vote so I know what to do with the settler.

Cast your vote and forge the future of this empire!

Plan Azaris or plan Stuge? The poll is open till monday.

10. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

1 for stuge

11. azaris

azaris King

Let's not turn this into a democracy game. Stuge is up next and his plan has support from the team so we go with his plan. I think red first so that we can work that gold ASAP and get an early research boost. After that, my red so that we block out any opportunist AIs.

Time to get the wheels rolling, uh, or not.

12. stuge

stuge Emperor

I'll post my report tomorrow. I had the marticulation exam on biology today and I'm -sort of- beat.

13. azaris

azaris King

:sleep: :bump:

Is something happening with this turnset today?

14. azaris

azaris King

This game is going nowhere. I'm playing a turnset myself today.

15. azaris

azaris King

Turn 1: Adrian founded, starts a Monument.

IBT: Wondering southern warrior defeats a Combat I barb warrior but has to run away from an approaching archer.

Turn 2: Alex has plopped a city near the southern copper, but it's not in his territory yet.

Turn 4: Persian melee units get Cover I. :hide:
    Better not rush Darius with HAs then. There's a barb town between us and Greece. That'll buy some time.

Turn 6: The stupid city governor at Constant wants to constantly work a 1-3-0 instead of 2-0-1 even when the extra hammers bring no benefit to building a worker.

Turn 7: Worker done in Constant, Monument done in Thessa. I start a couple of warriors since the barbs are roaming around worryingly.

Turn 8: Iron Working is done. Oracle BIAFAL. There is iron on the coast near Thessa, but it won't be ours until two more border pops. That means we will have to defend against barb archers and axemen for a while without metals. I choose to research Archery next so that we won't we overwhelmed. Will have to found city #5 quickly so that we can connect the iron.

Turn 9: Pacal adopts Hereditary Rule.

Turn 10: Wondering warrior killed by barb archer.

Turn 11: Thessa starts worker.

I played 15 turns and Archery has just completed. We can whip a settler in Constant if we like, it's at max happy at the moment. Adrian will grow next turn. I have not yet seen barbs heading towards our lands, but there is an archer and a warrior south of Constant. Darius and Pacal also have archers roaming around near our lands.

We should probably build some archers for defense next. I set research to Writing, but feel free to swap. We'd like to have Sailing soon, but that's one of those techs you almost always trade for. The settler should head to site #4 and found an iron-rice city.

In retrospect I should've founded on site #4 first, but how was I supposed to know it would be closest to iron?

16. stuge

stuge Emperor

Sorry for disappearing. My modem died. <Insert bad joke about electronics here.>

Let's keep with writing and trade for sailing. We won't be relying heavily on seafood anyway.

Will we try for the Great Wall?

17. njorls

njorls Prince

Am I up?

I was planning on researching Fishing next. Our second city has 2 seafood resources and city 4 has 1 and it's a long way to alphabet. We also need Masonry. Founding site 4 and getting a monument up ASAP, and more workers and roads, sound like a plan to me.

18. azaris

azaris King

Njorls or stuge, feel free to post a get it. Just as long as the game gets going again. I think the plan is quite straightforward, get those planned cities up while connecting the iron. I would favor Fishing next.

19. njorls

njorls Prince

20. njorls

njorls Prince

Turn 0: (95 total) Set research to Fishing.

Turn 1: Whip monument in Adrianople
    Exploring warrior moves onto hill next to barb archer

Turn 2: Barb Archer feasts on roast warrior

Turn 8: Fishing in, research Masonry

Turn 11: Nicea founded at city spot 4

Turn 12: Whip workboat in Thessalonica

Somewhere in here I started & finished a worker in Constantinople

Turn 15: Adrianople pops borders in 2 turns, 1 worker sent to gold mine, another will get there next turn
    Monument in Nicea done in 11 turns but it grows to size 2 in 7 turns, you can whip the monument then

Attached Files: