1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random-01: The Wheels Come Off

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by azaris, Sep 6, 2007.

1. azaris

azaris King

:goodjob: to the team for bagging the Pyramids.

I'll see what I can do about our situation later today.

2. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

you will have to revolt: i finished the pyramid on my last turn.

3. azaris

azaris King

Turn 0: Our city specialization seems to be a bit of a mess. Nica has nice production but has Library instead of Barracks. Adrian has no particular production but has Barracks instead of Library. I swap the tiles between the two cities so that Adrian works both mines. Then I swap Adrian -> axeman (we need military) and Nica -> work boat (we can always use an extra work boat). I hire one scientist in Nica and another one will follow once it grows a little. Anti and Thessa are still open as to what we'll do about them.

I remembered to switch to Representation. Research at 40% (25 :science:/pt) but should pick up once I get things going. Watch this space. Alphabet due in 6.

Turn 1: Darius converts to Xtianity.

Turn 2: GLighthouse BIAFAL. Taoism FIADL.

Turn 5: Alphabet -> Currency. We need cash. Thessa -> barracks. Adrian -> axe. We have monopoly on Alphabet but no one is willing to trade anything besides Sailing and Poly. Pac-man has abacuses (abacusii?) but won't part with them. I put all the EPs on Louis, who we know nothing of.

Turn 6: Darius wants OB. I say yes. Let's see what trade routes it opens. We risk angrying Alex and Pac-man, but frankly those those two will become angry anyway. Library whipped in Constant and barracks in Thessa.

Turn 7: Constant -> granary. Thessa -> axeman.

Turn 11: Anti -> granary.

Played 17 turns to round things up. We are still weak and poor, but Representation lifted us up to 37 :science:/pt. I sent axes to take out the barb city of Ghuzz. It is on a great spot with wheat, clam, and pigs. Currency due in 9, did not make any trades. We could use Sailing for coastal trade routes.

4. njorls

njorls Prince

Oops, I think I'm up. I've upgraded to 3.13, will this be a problem?

5. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

don't think so, at least not for this game.

6. azaris

azaris King

So far the bugs in 3.13 have been annoyances and not game stoppers, so we might as well upgrade. I have a dual installation anyway.

7. njorls

njorls Prince

Turn 0: (170 total) 3 axeman to take 3 archers. Hope the dice are nice. Will need sailing to get on trade route.
    Constantinople's been whipped pretty hard and needs a granary

Turn 1: Not sure what the workboat's for so I use him to explore

Turn 2: Ghuzz is down to 2 archers but there's a worker around there I want so I don't attack

Taoism spreads to Thessalonica, not sure who founded it

Turn 5: Wang Kon is met, he's to our west, one of his scouts found a fog busting warrior

Turn 7: We capture Ghuzz, and that pesky worker. Lost 1 axe. Got 127 gold.

Turn 9: Currency is in. Great Scientist born in Nicea. GS will lightbulb Math. But Wang Kon will trade Currency for Math, Sailing, and 50 gold so I do
    that. GS will now bulb Compass. That doesn't seem as important. So I decide to settle him in Constantinople, right now I feel it's our best potential
    science city. I research Calendar next, Code of Laws would be nice but Darius has it and maybe he'll trade it for Currency.

Turn 10: Taoism spreads in Nicea. I think Darius founded it with CoL.

Turn 12: Pacal has Calendar for trade

Turn 15: Taoism spreads to Constantinople, it spreads pretty fast considering nobody follows it
    2 workers in south loaded into galley as it's the only way to get to the sheep tile.
    There's some troops moved south to raze some barb cities for fun and profit. Looks like Ceaser wants to grab Hurrian.
    Our economy's pretty bad and I'm up for suggestions on how to make it better.

Attached Files:

8. azaris

azaris King

Make OB with Alex, that gives trade routes that will buff up our GNP. We need to adopt one of the popular religions so that we get trading partners. Pacal for example has all kinds of useful stuff but won't divulge them.

Stuge is up.

9. stuge

stuge Emperor

I'll try to make us popular with the big kids.

10. stuge

stuge Emperor

I looked into the diplo situation, but I'm not sure what to do. Louis is christian, so sucking up to him will make everyone else hate our guts. Pacal and Alex are jew, while Wang and Darius are confucian. My instinct is to lick the Korean's boots but I don't know whether Pacal is a tech whore.

I tweaked our espionage slightly, diverting our whopping 4 EPs evenly between Darius and Alex, since they will be the first ones in our path.

We got calendar and code of laws seemed like a logical next choice, courthouses will bring in EPs and cash, all good.

Alex got lucky:

He had a sword, a chariot and an axe vs. two archers. We had two axes there, ready to capture the city (I presume) after his failed assault. the RNG decided otherwise. Oh well, I turned the army around and captured Visigoth instead.

Mind you, the RNG was kind to us too. One the axes I expected to die won his 20something% fight. Notice the option to return the barb city to the Greek empire. :crazyeye:

Watch Alex closely. He has gathered a small SoD in Hurrian.

If those troops move out, whipping walls and an axe in Antioch should hold the city. Let's hope that Alex is just showing off. Defending a city so far away from our core would be a PITA.

I built a couple spies this round and sent them off towards Persia. Time to get some intel on our neighbouring victims.

I think that after CoL it's time to start going for guild in earnest, so that we won't have to face too many pikes with our cataphrachts. Once we take over Alex and Darius, rolling over the rest with cavalry shouldn't be too difficult.

On a final note:

Arr, there be Frenchmen.

SAVE

11. NoChildren

NoChildren Warlord

a bit of bad luck there not getting Hurrian. But all in all things are looking okay. Let's hope we can get our research rate up a bit and get to guilds as soon as possible.
    btw. who is up?

12. azaris

azaris King

13. NoChildren

NoChildren Warlord

great. up in both games... I'll try to play on tonight and one tomorrow...

14. NoChildren

NoChildren Warlord

will have to request a skip. BtS crashes as i try to start any kind of game =(

I was really looking forward to playing these turns as it's starting to get really interesting now.
    Hopefully I will This will be an easy fix, if it isn't i might be out until after my exams when I have more time to get this sorted out.

15. azaris

azaris King

That means tycoonist is up and NoChildren is on deck trying to fix his BtS. :badcomp:

16. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

playing now.

17. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

teched CoL and adopted caste system. traded calendar for monarchy and meditation. that's about it really, pretty boring.

Attached Files:

18. njorls

njorls Prince

About the only comment I have is I think we need to be in slavery a little longer. Although 5 turns caste running merchants for economy and 5 turns slavery sounds like an interesting way to leverage Spiritual.

19. stuge

stuge Emperor

Spiritual is a very nice trait in that regard. When you need to whip something, you whip like hell for those five turns and then hire merchants/scientists while the cities grow and the unhappies wear away.

Who's up?

20. azaris

azaris King

Got it. Will play tomorrow, but would like some discussion about what is going on. Are we still slowly expanding while our economy is on the rocks?