• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Random Events

Mr_Hobo

Warlord
With the changes to the New World and the development of the Modern Era in DoC, I thought it might be a good idea to revise some of the random events that take place in the game to add more flavor.

Old Events
The Volcano Event
Everyone's least favorite random event, the volcano event requires a mountain to be near the targeted city. This causes random buildings to be destroyed, which can be crippling in the Ancient Era, especially if the event destroys buildings needed for a UHV. I would prefer that this event be eliminated because it usually occurs in mountains which are not actually volcanoes. If it has to stay, then maybe it should be more limited in its targeted area.

The Hurricane Event
Another unpopular event, this one is only slightly more realistic, as hurricanes do not effect coastal cities all over the world. I would limit this one to only cities in the equatorial regions.

New Events
I think running certain civics should allow new events to happen; IOnlySignIn's French Revolution idea is a good example of this.

Railroads
When running Free Market and Capitalism, this event would allow transformation of some existing road structures into railways with some public expenditure. This simulates the expansion of railroads in the US during the latter half of the 1800's.

A negative event to go alongside this could be the overexpansion of railroads; if you have too many railroads and a certain low production threshold, this event would cause the start of a Great Depression.

Oil Innovation
Inspired by the development of pipelines to transport oil, this event could add production/commerce to the oil resource. The corresponding negative event would be the "sour" oil event that decreases oil productivity. This would also require Free Market and Capitalism.

Worker's Revolt
Requiring the Communism tech, this event would cause citizens to give +1 hammer at the cost of increased city maintenance costs. Declining the event causes temporary unhappiness.

Does anyone else have any ideas, and are any of these even feasible?

With the changes to the New World and the development of the Modern Era in DoC, I thought it might be a good idea to revise some of the random events that take place in the game to add more flavor.

Old Events
The Volcano Event
Everyone's least favorite random event, the volcano event requires a mountain to be near the targeted city. This causes random buildings to be destroyed, which can be crippling in the Ancient Era, especially if the event destroys buildings needed for a UHV. I would prefer that this event be eliminated because it usually occurs in mountains which are not actually volcanoes. If it has to stay, then maybe it should be more limited in its targeted area.

The Hurricane Event
Another unpopular event, this one is only slightly more realistic, as hurricanes do not effect coastal cities all over the world. I would limit this one to only cities in the equatorial regions.

YES. Yes please. I am so, so very sick of London getting hurt by hurricanes and the Appalachians erupting. The new events are pretty darn good ideas too. Might I also propose:

Puppet Government
The neighboring independent has fallen into hard times, and we can exploit this to our advantage. You can:
  • Support Democratic Elections for +1 happiness in all cities for 30 turns
  • Support the Military and organize a coup in our favor. +Gold, minor culture spread to independant, unhappiness
  • Seize the Nation! Major unhappiness and monetary loss, city is transferred with 20% culture

EDIT: Okay, maybe the title doesn't fit with the options, but you get the idea.

Why yes indeed, having Buenos Aires hit by hurricane is annoying... New events are needed. Also, new Quests, or just eliminating them altogether. Some of them make no sense...

I was thinking about a series of reactive events tied to economic revolutions; for example, while running Free Market you may get news that your neighbor who is also running Free Market is in danger of being overthrown by communist rebels. This gives you a choice of

(A) Allow the regime change, which brings with in diplomatic penalties and economic consequences.
(B) Fund covert operations against the rebels, which costs money.

(A) might spur on the same event for nearby nations, while (B) has a chance result in a different event as the war continues. This would have options to

(C) Continue covert ops, with equal chances to result in Free Market or State Property.
(D) Pay for military escalation, which would cause diplomatic penalties with other civs and possibly widen the war to include other State Property civs.
(E) Impose a blockade, which could also result in escalation.

Each of these would have a chance to end the conflict, while at the same time having a chance to start a full-scale war.

I think we need to move away from separate good and bad events; I think the events should be more about choices with good and bad consequences, with the player choosing the result he sees as most fitting.

I think we need to move away from separate good and bad events; I think the events should be more about choices with good and bad consequences, with the player choosing the result he sees as most fitting.

I agree, as every event should have a silver lining. A hurricane may destroy your infrastructure, but it would also help bring the nation together.

Old Events
The Volcano Event

The Hurricane Event

New Events
I think running certain civics should allow new events to happen; IOnlySignIn's French Revolution idea is a good example of this.

Railroads
When running Free Market and Capitalism, this event would allow transformation of some existing road structures into railways with some public expenditure. This simulates the expansion of railroads in the US during the latter half of the 1800's.

A negative event to go alongside this could be the overexpansion of railroads; if you have too many railroads and a certain low production threshold, this event would cause the start of a Great Depression.

Oil Innovation
Inspired by the development of pipelines to transport oil, this event could add production/commerce to the oil resource. The corresponding negative event would be the "sour" oil event that decreases oil productivity. This would also require Free Market and Capitalism.

Worker's Revolt
Requiring the Communism tech, this event would cause citizens to give +1 hammer at the cost of increased city maintenance costs. Declining the event causes temporary unhappiness.

When possible, DoC definately needs a relook at random events.

Yeah, this is great news! There's nothing more frustrating then getting spawn-killed by a horde of barbarian horse archers :lol:

Top Bottom