Random or pre-select?

Tech Osen

Emperor
Just wondering what other people do when creating a new game. Do you take a random leader and/or random map type or do you set pre-select a lot of the settings? I find that if I pre-select stuff I have a tendency to put the odds in my favor just a bit too much, like Indonesia on Island Plates. Selecting a leader usually also puts me on a specific victory route before even starting the game.
I usually take a random leader on a standard continent map with high sea level.

Create game - England continent standard standard. I could not even tell you what advanced settings there are.

I used to play civ V with epic start but realized it really did not make that much difference and also felt wrong to me. Its juts a game though.... its more than the start... its the advanced tricks/exploits/meticulous play that give more benefit IMO

Occasionally I select my leader, but more often I do random leader, though I do occasionally reroll if I don't like the leader I get. I also play on shuffle frequently, though recently I've more been on achievement hunts.

At the moment I'm trying to get a win with each leader in the game so I'll select a few I'm considering playing, throw them in a random list generator and whatever comes out first is the one. Mostly I play on King but if I'm going up to try Emperor then I'm way more likely to play a civ I particularly enjoy/am familiar with.

I used to select leader and Pangaea and more recently fractal maps. I still often select the leader but I try to always chose one I have yet to play and set the map to shuffle.

Always everything set to random that can be set to random (or shuffle)

At the moment I'm trying to get a win with each leader in the game so I'll select a few I'm considering playing, throw them in a random list generator and whatever comes out first is the one. Mostly I play on King but if I'm going up to try Emperor then I'm way more likely to play a civ I particularly enjoy/am familiar with.

Pretty much how I play the game. It gets old having to restart games due to randomly getting leaders I have already completed the game with.

Typically I will choose my Civ and play continents just because I want it to be somewhat Earth-like. I don't typically mess with advanced settings too much though. I might turn off barbs every once in a while since they're annoying...

I'd say that 9 times out of 10, I randomize the civ. For the maps, I'll either go on shuffle or continents. I turn off score victory and leave everything else as is.

I have played only Rome since R&F arrived. Its an addiction at this point! I also play Ludicrous map size, continents but I generally randomize the opponents. Then again, sometimes I make sure to select one or two opponents I haven't played against.

I really should start trying to play some of the other civs but....I'm stuck! I can't escape the glory of Rome! I like my Legions!

I may even change my Civfanatics name to Augustus Karpius Maximus!

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll be like "I really want to play as Monty and warrior rush" or "I want a boat game, so let's play England/Indonesia/Norway." Other times, I'll go random, and then either play out a few turns to see if the map is interesting, or just regen until I get a civ that I want to play with. I generally try to work my way through each civ, so I haven't played more than 2-3 full games as any civ. Usually I'll go into a game with knowing what I want, whether it be a more religious game, or a war game, and I try to pick my civ accordingly.

The past few dozen games I've been chasing achievements... so I typically pick settings that will facilitate those. Normally, I play legendary start on Pangaea or Continents. I may bump the city states up 1-2 because I like their diplomacy mechanics and adding a couple more usually ensures that there will be more than 3 left after the Classical Age...

I select my leader so I can play each one. I have played all the original civs and recently finished the dlc's. I'm now on my first R&F leader. Once I go through them all, then I'll probably go with random choice of the leader. I play standard or large continents - primarily because I feel that is what the game is basically balanced for. I never re-roll, always playing the start I'm dealt [even when like in my current game, I'm close to the lakes for those fantastic polders ... but they're all in other civ or city state areas!]. Once I've finished playing through all the new civs, I might also start playing either a random or fractal map just to add variety. Even with each selected leader, I never know what victory condition I'm going for until well into the game. I basically develop my civ and see where it's headed. I don't try to minimize the turns, etc., enjoying playing the game 'through the ages.' I play peacefully and usually end up with a culture or science victory, often in the 400+ turn range [and in one game lost a science victory when one other civ gained a culture victory the turn before I launched for Mars; I don't attack a civ just to keep it from winning]. I actually tend to play an economic game of sorts, so I'm looking forward to future expansions with corporations and an economic victory condition.

Shuffle or Fractal/Random leaders. It gives more variety where some games can be far away from others and some can be close so thr opening isn't autopilot.

Sometimes I do continents for a more typical game.

I always select my leader, typically one I haven't won with or haven't made some achievement with. I don't care much about the achievements, but they're kind of an organizing thing for me. Don't think I'd ever do random leader, and I don't understand the appeal there!

I usually pick continents on one of the larger sizes, and leave the rest of the settings random or default.

Random Civ (though out of ones I haven't played mostly, so I do that draw manually). I do play the odd game with Scotland deliberately, cos so far they suit my play style the best.
Huge map
Marathon
Low seas.
I generally go with continents as I like having 2-4 large landmasses with a few others (as close as you'll get to our Earth); but every now and then I'll choose one of the other map types.

I'm still working on a win with each leader, and I usually have an idea of what victory condition I'm going for, especially if it intersects with an achievement for that leader (e.g, I just finished a culture win as Genghis and started a game as Tamar going for a religious victory). But usually the opponents are random.

I most commonly play king. But if I really want the AI to be a pushover, I play prince, and sometimes I go for a bit of challenge at emperor or more of a challenge at immoral.

Map size can be anything from small to huge, depending in part on how long I want the game to last. I usually leave the number of opponents the default number for the map size, but I sometimes increase the number of city states from the default.

Sometimes I pick the map type, but more recently I've mostly set it to shuffle.

Once I have all the leader-specific achievements, I'll probably play random leader. But that could be a while - I wouldn't be surprised if the next expansion comes out before I finish the current ones.

Top Bottom