1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranged units defend ranged attacks with ranged strength

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Amarr Emperor, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Amarr Emperor

Amarr Emperor Chieftain

After 3 months of playing civ, I finally figured something out. Ranged units defend ranged attacks with ranged strength. Damn lol no wonder my hwachas raped a gang of crossbowmen so easily.

I think i'm right, even though nobody officially gave any formula to it. If i'm wrong then please correct me.

2. Mahasona

Mahasona Prince

I wasn't aware that violent sexual assault occured in CiV.

We must be playing different games.

3. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

Oh the humor of some people :mischief:

4. Barghaest

Barghaest King

Yes, been aware of this for a while. First noticed back in vanilla when archers seemed to take less damage from other archers than spearmen did. Another reason why it's better to take out ranged units with melee units since they suffer more damage from them (usually) than other ranged.

5. Amarr Emperor

Amarr Emperor Chieftain

for that reason I attack melee with ranged and ranged with melee

6. Walter R

Walter R Great Engineer

Not sure it's always the case, 'cos my SOTL seem to sink frigates easier than privateers - but I haven't checked the stats.

7. Væringjar

Væringjar Warlord

I didn't realize this before. Sounds interesting.

8. zukenft

zukenft Xx420NoWondeRHon0rStaRtxX

does city attack count as ranged? this might be why siege weapons are a joke compared to archers : archers have more ranged strength, thus take less damage from cities.

9. YourHarry

YourHarry Chieftain

Even if OP is true, spearman still have much higher combat strength (11) than archer's range strength (7).

I believe this is simply a comparison of combat strength. Given an era, melee units have higher combat strength than ranged counter parts (e.g. warrior vs archer)

10. Barghaest

Barghaest King

Well, I haven't tested it recently, I was referring to early when the game came out. I believe archer's RCS was closer to Spearmen CS then - might be mistaken though. Regardless, archers did more damage to melee units than to other archers. I think this had to do with the melee units completely lacking an RCS because it appears having a RCS reduces damage from range attacks. I dinked around with my mod giving all Gunpowder style units - Musketmen, tanks, etc - a Range 1 attack with RCS about 75% of their CS and they still took less damage from range attacks despite RCS being lower than CS.

The experiment was a failure overall since I couldn't figure out how to script the AI to handle it and it really screwed promotion bonuses - Drill/Shock didn't add to RCS so the range attack was pathetic.

11. Amarr Emperor

Amarr Emperor Chieftain

yeah, what you said is also a major problem with RCS causing the attacking ranged unit to do more damage to the defending ranged. Since melee gets a bonus on defence with their promotions and ranged don't...

12. Vitruvius

Vitruvius King

I always thought only chariot archers take damage using ranged strength but archers take damage using base strength.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

It's right underneath the "raze" option in some versions.

Kind of like some lost animal pictures have "lost doge", except different because Venice is actually in this game.