Rat31 - 1BCAWE - second attempt

Yes, I'm on the last turn, getting ready to post. Sorry it has taken so long, I just have been very slow this week. I have finlly finished. There is good news, and better news, and some bad news. Good news, I grabbed Madrid. Better news, we got a leader. Bad news, the Russians are already building the GLib. Here is the turn log:

Spoiler :

Pre-Flight: CivAssist 2, Word running. Open the save, look things over.
Look good..

Civilian units:
Workers 3
Slave 1

Military units:
Spearmen 2
Gallic Swords 9

Press enter=>

IBT: Spanish move a Settler pair and Sword out of Madrid, 3 Inca Swords arrive at Seville.

Turn 1, 950 BC: Kill 2 Inca Warriors at Seville, both Gallics redline, WTF?
Kill 4 Spears at Madrid, 3 redlines, 1 promotion, Madrid taken. Spain has at least 3 towns left.

IBT: No attacks, allows some healing.

Turn 2, 925 BC: Move 3 workers to make a 1 turn road towards Hattusha.

IBT: A 3MC shows up near our workers.

Turn 3, 900 BC: Kill Incan Warrior with eGallic, -1hp. Lose eGallic to 3MC, vGallic kills him, -1hp.. Kill Spanish Archer with vGallic clean. Redline an eGallic killing a Spanish Sword, and we get an MGL!

IBT: Entremont Gallic=>Gallic.
Madrid riots.
A 3MC moves into view.

Turn 4, 875 BC: :sleep:

IBT: v3MC moves on, a new one comes into view, they are avoiding Entremont.
A Spanish Sword and Archer arrive at Madrid.
Maya finish Pyramids.

Turn 5, 850 BC: Kill Sword and Archer, 2 wins, 1 retreat.
Kill the r3MC with a Gallic clean.
Note that Santiago has grown, but want at least 3 Gallics to do it.

IBT: Mongols finish Oracle.

Turn 6, 825 BC: Begin Temple as pre-build for first CS.

IBT: Entremont Gallic=>Gallic.
Seville Catapult=>Barracks.

Turn 7, 800 BC: Move 2 Gallics out of Seville, 3 out of Entremont, hopefully Spain doesn’t whip at Santiago.

IBT: Seville riots, man we need some luxes.

Turn 8, 775 BC: They did it, damn them! Kill 1 spear out of spite, retreat on the other twice. Send troops back home. A bit of safe scouting reveals Murcia to be size 2.

IBT: A Hittite 3MC arrives.

Turn 9, 750 BC: Move a spear to guard the Iron. Just peeking at Murcia triggered a whip, damn this is frustrating! That’s where I’ll stop, before I break something.

Civilian units:
Workers 3
Slaves 2

Military units:
Spearmen 2
Gallic Swords 10
Catapult 1
Leader 1, needs another town to be an army.

Units: 17, Allowed: 12, Support cost: 5 gpt

Research
Writing, 10 turns at +2 gpt

Sliders
4/4/2

Handoff notes: We need to catch the Spanish before they can whip an archer in any town with no culture, or grab their next capital (East of Madrid, I believe) to get our 4th city to allow the leader to become an army. The Hittites are becoming pests, the 3MCs seem to be kryptonium to our Gallics, they have the 2 defense and their being fast keeps our guys from retreating.
Anyway, good luck to the next player.
Here is a picture, hope it helps.
Spoiler :

The save:

Good work Overseer. We got Madrid and a leader.

I would try to get our towns hooked up by roads. Build a spear or two to defend a road crew. it may take a bit to set up but worth it if we can.

I would also keep the leader for our first army of course. Since we have speed we may be able to take a town before they know to rush a troop. Start 1 away from the town and them move forward and attack. With luck they won't rush a troop with us one away and we can take the town in one turn. At least lets try it and see if it works.

Lurker Comment: Can't see that it's bad that a neighbor of yours is building the GLib... better them than someone on the other side of the world, right?

The Roster:
TheRat
Greebley
TheOverseer
el_filet - up
Rodent

let's hope we can grab a 4th ciy for that all important army

i got it.

a road would help, but as long as there are two enemy cities between entremont and seville it will never be save. we have to get it started sometime, unless entremont needs improvements i see no reason to wait. maybe i have better luck with hattusha then overseer had with spainish cities. i don't want to spread our empire any further, but the army would be worth the risk of an undefendeble front.

I would like to inform you guys that I am taking break from Civfanatics from 14th August till 19th September, Because I have Exams.

Sorry to Desert you guys, but RL comes first.

i got it.

a road would help, but as long as there are two enemy cities between entremont and seville it will never be save. we have to get it started sometime, unless entremont needs improvements i see no reason to wait. maybe i have better luck with hattusha then overseer had with spainish cities. i don't want to spread our empire any further, but the army would be worth the risk of an undefendeble front.

At least they wouldn't pillage the parts not in our territory - the AI never does. Keeping it clear may be too difficult however. It may not be possible due to enemy troops, but if we can, it could save a city that was hit by unexpected number of troops.

Agree that getting a 4th town is highest priority. Even holding it for a short time would give us an army.

I will (probably) be away from Aug 22 - Sept 1

Turn 0:
all cities are well defended, but an attack further away seems risky. don't think we can afford to wait, so move some units toward russian city in the fog.
not too happy about the hittite 3MC, but nothing we can do about it now.
MM entremont for food

IBT:
some units move toward madrid. one 3MC exposed, the other one moves on mountain next to entermont.
entre: GS->GS (MM for 3 turns...well, after the 3mc on bg is gone)

Turn 1:
russians poprushed. no surprise, but it was worth a shot i think.
kill scouts near madrid and the exposed 3MC
workers in city

Turn 2:
kill spanish archer for promotion
workers for road threatend by 3MC, user elite spear to cover.
seville needs entertainer

IBT:
hittite warrior injures our spear in the city, the one covering the workers wins flawlessy against 3MC
spanish sword shows up near madrid

Turn 3:
spot barcelona, expanded. lose GS and one spear remains.
kill sword, lose 2 HP. leave slaves unprotected for a turn to place another GS in striking range.
MM for food

IBT:
new units arrive near barcelona
entre: GS->GS

Turn 4:
capture barcelona->walls
spot blue boarder
build army
kill exposed spear before he enters woods again
one GS in army, move it toward core. we can't handle cities so close in the long run, they're priority imho.
forgot about MP in seville, fortunately it has silks now
science to 50% for writing in 3

IBT:
hittites want to talk, no
russian warrior near barca is joined by horse. don't know where the archer went
casqui scout threatens empty seville

Turn 5:
kill horse
load army with another vGS
hire scientist in entre
kill scout

IBT:
doh, the archer was still there. lose GS in barca
writing->WC. i doubt we'll be able to sneak in a lib, with math already researched i go for monarchy. with WC in 4 not too much damage if we want a lib in entremont.
no embassies for us

Turn 6:
great, iro units near blue boarder. declare.
up most techs, but they lack lit and math. 10 cities.
kill russian spear in mismove army :(
scientist in madrid allows me to reduce science

IBT:
we can build HE
couple of units move toward several cities
entre: GS->GS

Turn 7:
blue boarder in the north
rWar takes 3 hp of our eGS
kill units around barca and the ones next to seville
complete road. kill warrior to keep it that way.
and temujin joins the party from the south (near seville). declare. only blue missing now and probably not for long.
he's got tech parity with iros plus math it seems. 13 cities.
mm madrid for shields

IBT:
mayans start GW
copan completes MoM

Turn 8:
smoke is here too. declare.
same techs, 13 cities as well.
fish on russian spear, no success.

IBT:
most units move toward barca

Turn 9:
fish successful this time. move leader to seville for HE. rax finished in 3.
could get rax a turn earlier by sacrificing two food.
this settler in front of barca...but there is still a spot where i rather have mayan then russian or hittite cities.
vladivostok has grown. the army was worth the risk, i rather not get another remote city.
move workers and slaves to improve seville and notice they're within horse reach, protect them.
kill incan spear near entre

IBT:
spot incan galley in the west, mongol scout east.
russians position units next to barca.
WC->myst
madrid: walls-pult
entre: GS->GS (we could use spears, but i like the mobility. same upkeep)

Turn 10:
army unmoved
attacking archer over river doesn't cost me a single HP.
russian units gone.

Notes:
felt i was wasting our army, but i think everything else but santiago and hattusha should wait.
suggest we keep away from hattusha hoping it will grow/build culture. the supply road near santiago will probably prevent that there.
hittite city south of entremont might be an alternative, maybe it has grown big enough by now.
holding barca was surprisingly easy. that will probably change soon.
leader for HE in seville is the obvious choice imo. it could use the expansion.

Attachments

• Rat31.JPG
    Rat31.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Rat31_550 BC.SAV
    148.4 KB · Views: 87
Great job getting a 4th city and the army. I agree it would be best to start building our empire from the core. What on earth is the AI doing :mad:

With all the holidays coming, this game will be a little stalled and bumpy at time for the next few weeks

The Roster:
TheRat away from 31st Aug til 29 Sep
Greebley away from Aug 22 - Sept 1
TheOverseer
el_filet
Rodent - up, can you still play? away from 24thAug to 19th Sep

thats 14th August, not 24th so I will be gone tommorow, No chance.

Emperor and Pangaea seems to be where the sledding becomes very tough for this variant, that's for sure. Looks like we may need to put this one on a slow pace until everyone gets back. The vacations and study breaks are playing hell for all my SGs, several are down to 2 players.

I played my turnset, I think the game is as good as lost as the enemy just overwhelms us and we can't develop a proper core.

2 productive cities on emperor Pangaea won't really work

We could try a 3BC Pangea emporer game. That gives us 3 early towns.

Edit: When I heard all the new contacts, I was thinking the game had a very good chance of being dead.

I'd be interested in seeing this game/start replayed as a 3BC challenge. I think y'all could make it work if you got that boost.

It's funny because I was thinking that a 3BC try might work for this game and when I read the posts, there it is. :lol:

A 3BC game might work as we have at least a chance to develop 3 proper cities and not just one.

However, with all of us going on leave soon, I think we should wait until autumn to start this.

See you in September... it's not just a song anymore :spear:

:lol:

I think we hit the wall here, 1 built city AW on a Pangaea at Emperor is probably equal to Deity level if not Sid. If with the Celts we can't do it, we can't. Maybe the AWDG guys could, but I'm not in their league.

Top Bottom