Rat31 - 1BCAWE - second attempt

ThERat

Deity
Ok, I got this game going...

I played 25 turns to make sure we survive the initial wave of Hittite warriors that attacked just after 20 turns.
I got us BW and went maximum on IW so we can get that UU as soon as possible. We get another spear and should go for an additional worker. I would stick at 2-3 spears and go for wealth until we can build offensive units.
There seems to be ivory just in the fog to the southeast.

The Roster:
TheRat - just played
TheOverseer - up
el_filet
Greebley
Rodent

Checking in. Looks like we won't surrounded as easily in this position since we are so close to the northern tundra.

We may want to make Cats a priority. We have an expensive attack 3 unit to take out cities with so casualties will cost us more. Bombardment first will help

It may be Tuesday before I can take this, depending on how other SGs go, so if someone else can get to it first, I'll gladly swap. Hopefully among the mountains showing, one contains Iron so we can use the pajama clad pigstickers.

lurker's comment: just signing in to watch this one. This does look promising. Those Hittites are usually so encroaching in my games that you should have a 2nd city fairly soon :lol:

yes, let's hope we have a good chance here. Since Overseer can't play until Tuesday, does anyone pick this up. We don't have to follow kast game's roster, we can change that.

The Hittites continued to send Warriors at us. Our Spears easily handled them all.

Built Alesia up to the North behind our city.

Played 15 to even out the turns at 40.

We do have very close Iron. I built 2 Vet Warriors which we could upgrade if we so choose. It is probably too pricey right now, but we could have cash later.

Notes:
Building a worker - we need one badly.
The worker currently has 2 turns left on the mountain - We need a road there to be able to go East along the river and defend ourselves in that direction. I was thinking of a town in that direction on the river.
I would complete the current worker and use both workers to build the road on the Iron to get Gallics as fast as possible.
We could use the Granary as a way to prebuild a gallic while we complete the road.
There is a border that is not Hittite to our East.

Ummm, built Alesia? Oopsie...

I think this set should be replayed as we are not to build any second city...must have been thinking of the wrong game :lol:

I think this early nothing was done for spoilers, I suggest you replay without that settler, is that possible?

checking in. good to see I'm not the only one forgetting about a 1bc variant. I ruined one of bede's games by founding rotterdam to secure coal - which we conquered a couple of turns later anyway.

please remember I still have no internet at home, so won't be able to up-/download saves from 1.8. (national holiday)-3.8.. Back at work on monday the 4th.

Easy to slip into solo habits with the variants SGs take, I know I've screwed up in more than one SG by forgetting the variant. This one is minor and harmless, since it is so early. No problemo.

Ok, I have replayed. I went for a Granary because otherwise unit support would kill us.

Again we have a worker being built and 2 turns left on the Mountain (I kept my worker turns identical).

We got Iron working faster since our capitol stayed large. Working on getting walls.

Actually the worker roading the wrong mountain is not needed, but to keep the spirit of the game. I would suggest to go for wealth until we can churn out GW and storm the enemy.

Maybe, we let that other blue Civ get closer before moving in to take their cities?

Guess, we can get back to the Roster as Overseer can play on Tuesday

The Roster:
TheRat
Greebley
TheOverseer - up
el_filet out until 4th August
Rodent

guess until we are ready to conquer something, there will be cities close. if they grow fast enough/expand is another matter. should be easier with our 2 move uu.

Checking In.

Good Luck to the team as we set sail :goodjob:

Actually the worker roading the wrong mountain is not needed, but to keep the spirit of the game. I would suggest to go for wealth until we can churn out GW and storm the enemy.

The mountain being roaded is important to getting to the East without crosssing the river. That is also why there is an extra Spear outside of town, our 2 shield square is otherwise indefensable and we can't afford wasting a unit simply to defend that square. The mountain road will fix this. It was also myinitial thought it might contain iron (which is why I couldn't change it after I knew where the iron was).

So the road in the mountain is worth finishing as it only has 2 left and then we can go for the Iron with both workers. It probably wasn't the best use of worker turns but will be very useful when when we get attacked from the east. We may even want to go after the town to the east though that means meeting a new civ.

Very quiet turn til the end. Met Spain, our neighbor to the east. Otherwise, nothing to report. Here is the turn-log:
Spoiler :

Pre-Flight: CivAssist 2, Word running. Open the save, look things over.

Civilian units:
Worker 1

Military units:
Warrior 1
Spearmen 3

Press enter=>

IBT: Entremont Worker=Wealth.

Turn 1, 2110 BC: Move new worker towards Iron mountain.

IBT: Worker finishes mountain road.

Turn 2, 2070 BC: Move both workers onto Iron mountain.

IBT: :sleep:

Turn 3, 2030 BC: Begin roading Iron.

Turn 4, 1990 BC: :sleep:

Turn 5, 1950 BC: Try to kill Hittite warrior with our warrior, no damage.

Turn 6, 1910 BC: Begin Temple as pre-build for first CS.

Turn 7, 1870 BC: :sleep:

IBT: Spanish settler wanders into view. They are up Alphabet, the Wheel, Masonry, Warrior Tradition, and Mysticism. Declare war promptly.
A Hittite Archer arrives.

Turn 8, 1830 BC: :sleep:

IBT: A Hittite Warrior arrives.

Turn 9, 1790 BC: Change temple to Celtic Swordsman.

IBT: Hittite warrior almost kills fortified Spear, WTF?
Masonry arrives, next is Alphabet.

Turn 10, 250 BC:

Civilian units:
Workers 2

Military units:
Spearmen 3

Units: 5, Allowed: 4, Support cost: 1 gpt

Research
Alphabet, 16 turns at 0 gpt

Sliders
2/7/1

The save: