Rate the June patch

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by magnus333, Jul 1, 2011.

?

Rate the June patch:

1. 10

21 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. 9

61 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. 8

71 vote(s)
    30.5%
  4. 7

42 vote(s)
    18.0%
  5. 6

11 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. 5

7 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. 4

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  9. 2

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  10. 1

11 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

10. There are still things I'd like changed about Civ 5, but as a single patch, I don't know what more I could ask of it. At least within the way I play Civ, this patch was as good as it could be.

Currently involved in the most wild game of diplomacy I've ever played in any Civ title. Not wild in a "makes no sense" way - wild in a "I've been backstabbed twice, I have backstabbed twice, had people bribed in against me, bribed people to fight each other" way. It's making sense - I've been caught off guard once or twice but it didn't feel random. But it is wild.

(Update: Things massively calmed down. I forged a bloc of civs with Askia and Bismarck, and we're currently pushing around Montezuma and Elizabeth, who have not linked up. And when Askia invaded one of my allied CSes, and I asked him to make peace with them, he... COMPLIED. Holy crap.

And yes, I mean "I forged a bloc" - I really feel empowered to work with these AIs.)

2. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

I wouldn't call it a major bug...if you read the Firaxis reply, he says that policy gains are balanced correctly, so that when they remove the bug they are prolly going to slightly increase the base culture required for the next policy, so that a culture victory pre-hotfix would be completed around the same turn as it will post-hotfix.

The only problem I see is someone purposefully not finishing trees and instead grabbing 4 from each...but then that person would lose out on some powerful stuff and losing that just doesn't seem worth avoiding the policy cost hike.

3. sokol991

sokol991 Chieftain

I rated it 1 - simply for the fact that they lied about Hot Seat!

Yes - user-created maps are usable for HotSeat - but all important features (defined starting locations, defined number of players, placed cities and units, etc, etc) are not usable.

Which sense does the use of user-created maps make, if you can't create any scenario at all?

4. OrsonM

OrsonM Our man

About a 3. Lots of cool things indeed, but I feel this should had been released a bit before. Firaxis is certainly going slow and steady to win the race, I feel they have an awesome product ripe for a lot of experimentation... hopefully the good kind of experimentation, as in more "let's add awesome Diablo 2 style policy synergies to the game" and less "we just added 1 synergy per policy branch, 'cause". There's a few places were independent games are pushing it to 11 while Firaxis is advancing in a rather shy manner.

And it's probably just me, but I was kinda hoping they would replace a few... ehem... images, here and there (kinda knew it was not going to happend though).

5. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Was 2. Pushed it up due to rebalancing the policy trees and Ironclads being upgradable.

Alot better military tactics. I actually get to put my massive ancient era army to use for once.

But mostly of all ohmigosh there's actually few naval war units!

Sunk 18 battleships, 4 of them suffered a stratgetic resource penalty coz I pillaged their oil resource, caesar sure was pushing his oils hard. O.o

Those battleships died a violent death to my wolf packs.

I have a problem tho. it takes like 1-3 minutes again during modern era, and I play huge maps :( Firaxis some love plz

6. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

1/10

... Civ5 no longer runs on my older pc.

7. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

I have a 6 month old "top of the line" gaming PC and it won't run now after the patch. Probably something with Steam or with Win7 and/or with firewalls etc to get it to work.... but really... I give it a 1.

EDIT: OK, just impatient.... took over 30 minutes to load the patch. Outrageous. But now that its patched, I'm playing a game... mind I'm only at turn 90 or so, but so far its fun. If the game stays fun to the end, I'll have to give he patch a 10 instead.

8. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Overall pretty good but some questionable changes.

For example, Seaports, Factories (only +10% for 1 coal!!!(yes I do realise it has spec slots and base production but still)), Communism.

Also more simple changes that need to be introduced, i.e. re-roll map, city state quests resetting after x turns (I don't want to destroy Genoa!), reduce the stupid amounts of very early DoWs (Monty ok, but ATM it seems as it if everyone is capable and willing to do this, I'm looking at you Sulieman).

9. PoweredBySoy

PoweredBySoy Warlord

Diplomacy has completely gone out the window, as now each and every AI is hell bent on war, no matter what your relations are.

I like the policy changes.

10. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

Not that this invalidates your point in any way, but I've had the exact opposite experience post-patch. Many more civs are much friendlier to me now and building relationships now progresses in a logical way.

11. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

Funnily enough, in earlier Civ iterations they had wonders give free buildings and had to eventually 1) make so those buildings provided zero resale value, or 2) not have the wonder give a free building.

People abused the buildings just as much then as now. Interesting how things repeat. ;)

12. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

I agree with this. I actually brought an 'extinct' Civ back by liberating one of their former cities. Guess what? The Civ, whose entire civilization had been gone/in slavery, was FURIOUS at me.

WTF? Did they want to be treated as second class citizens to their former masters? Really? That Civ should have been almost a vassal and helped in any way possible.

13. Ozymandous

Ozymandous Prince

I assume your system specs are at least minimum required? If not, that's not the fault of the dev's.

14. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

I agree that I should not expect an underspec pc to run Civ5.
    ... this particular problem is the eVGA 9400 GT.
    Civ5 still runs on 2/3 of my pcs.

I disagree regarding fault.
    ... Prod/Dev/Dist have authority to decide what min spec will be supported.
    ... I don't agree/like their choice of min spec or the platform's limited scalability.
    ... Civ5 is a glorified boardgame that prepatch ran fine on my underspec pc.

15. danieladler

danieladler Warlord

Good patch in many ways, but with no (!) improved multiplay or diplomacy/AI behaviour it is half assed and deserves a 4. And yes i know, 2k greg has promised more patches in the undecided future, but sometimes i feel as i being played with as a devoted civ fanatic. I play civ5 a lot, and the game HAS been more enjoyable to play after this last patch. I think they did great with the changed social policies, and the AI seems to be getting smarter in battles for example.

But it would be nice to have some sort of possibilty to use AT LEAST SOME FORM OF diplomacy in the future. If you learn to live with the existing AI, with no trust building relations involved at all and constant irrational behaviour from all civs all the time, i guess it works....for now at least.

16. MkLh

MkLh King

2. There are numerous bad and even terrible changes, but it's hard to find any positives. Maybe RAs are now slightly less broken in gameplay-vise.

17. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

6 Good but still didnt fix the major problem of the game: diplomacy and typ of AI

It improved the gameplay verry well and made it more balanced... Now olmost every civilization is worth playing..

However they still keep the good AI typ as result diplomacy is still non existent.

As long as they dont fix this. The game is just another wargame and i just gonne put it together with all my wargames that i dont play to often

18. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

Of course it is firaxis and john shaver still thinxs its a good idea to keep the Good AI typ...

He even said in a intervieuw we dont want to be civ 5 a wargame.. Still dont know why he did say that because he choose the good AI typ....