1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the Wonders: The Results

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by sonicandfffan, Aug 4, 2013.

1. sonicandfffan

sonicandfffan Chieftain

Thanks to everyone who voted!

Topics are below. Some forum members went above and beyond and posted some very good analysis of the wonders and why they gave them a particular rating, be sure to check them out:

Ancient/Classical Wonders

Medieval/Renaissance Wonders

Industrial/Modern/Atomic/Information Wonders

2. Teaf

Teaf Chieftain

Thanks for the result round-up. I would have thought the Great Wall would have ranked higher. Not at all surprised to see Angkor Wat as the lowest, that 'wonder' is terrible.

3. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Chieftain

I'd rate Kremlin far beyond that if I played Order more, if armor units weren't so late-game and if wasn't still worse than the ever-so-awesome Prora and the all-around solid Statue of Liberty.

Pentagon is overrated though, I think - the unit upgrade costs in the late game are brokenly low in the late game anyway - particularly for infantry and bombers, and those two are the ones that typically count the most.

4. I_qua_I

I_qua_I Chieftain

Angkor Wat really is horrible. :thumbsdown: No other wonder comes even close. It really needs a rework/additional bonus (something to do with religious spread???) to make it a viable build.

5. Xandinho

Xandinho Chieftain

Well, I think the Eiffel Tower has become the best wonder of the game for any occasion.The Borobudur is a great wonder to the spread of their religion. The Angkor Wat is very bad, really need to be reworked bonus of faith and culture.

6. njmfff

njmfff Chieftain

Yeah, and if you play as Russia, same "wonder" is alot cheaper in hammers, because it's like little brother to AW. :lol:

Other wonders... I guess it depends on which game I want to play, and situation (map layout and in general, how the game goes). Any Wonder that gives lot of happiness like Notre Dame is never a bad thing to have, if you manage to get it. Altho, if Hiawata is in the game, you can forget about it, he will ALWAYS build that one way before you can.

Hanging Gardens is awesome, and you can actually manage to get it even in higher difficulties. Great Library is awesome, but in HD there's almost no chance that you will get it. :(

Hubble Space Telescope is awesome, even if you don't play Tech Victory. Two free scientists that late in the game? Must be a joke?

Petra, awesome, but I tend not to build it if I have one or two desert titles. Altho, free and extra TR is great.

7. MadHaxxor

MadHaxxor Chieftain

Great Library sucks

8. devilsfan118x

devilsfan118x Chieftain

16 votes..like 16 people?

Pretty small sample size.

9. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Chieftain

It's actually fairly good on the lower difficulty levels but not worth it on King and above. It turns into a gamble one is unlikely to win.

10. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chieftain

That picture for Angkor Wat really is fantastic but I never build it.

11. Zilkin

Zilkin Chieftain

I wouldn't say it sucks, but it's definitely the most overrated wonder.

12. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Chieftain

Depends on the point of view - if you consider only its effect, it's decent, but if we also consider the fact that the AI will get it first, it's obviously a poor choice for building!

13. seancolorado

seancolorado Chieftain

MoH can be really powerful early on when gold is more of an issue and if you have a lot of stone around your capital.

The 100 gold is also more useful than G&K since you have Great Artists, Musicians, Writers to expend

14. Tiggurix

Tiggurix Chieftain

I think the Great Lighthouse is a little underrated, at least on most maps other than Pangaea. There's a reason that Elizabeth always beelines it.

15. Heart Break Kid

Heart Break Kid Chieftain

That isn't that bad. I mean what were you expecting, a 100? :crazyeye:

16. kajillion

kajillion Chieftain

What King games are you not getting GL? I get it on Emperor almost every time I aim for it.

17. Gali

Gali Chieftain

Its not that you can't get GL on King but even there you have to revolve your entire early game strategy around getting it and that costs a lot elsewhere. Its really powerful but requires a massive investment beyond any other wonder.

18. elijahfire

elijahfire Chieftain

On D it is a gamble you are guaranteed to lose.

19. ahawk

ahawk Chieftain

Kremlin is a pretty lousy wonder... except when you have Panzers... so, ironically, Germany wants to build the Kremlin and go Order rather than Autocracy, unless Germany really needs the happiness from Prora.

20. Tiggurix

Tiggurix Chieftain

I've heard it argued before on this forum that, since the German Panzers were not really superior to the tanks of their opponents, and it was the USSR that made the biggest and baddest tanks in the latter days of WW2, it's rather the Russians that should have the Tank UU. This would fix this seeming discrepancy, at least.

Also, the Tank (and the rest of the Armour units) isn't exactly a bad unit, so I wouldn't call the Kremlin a bad wonder, but it does have the problem that it doesn't really support anything other than a Domination victory, while the Statue of Liberty and even Prora are more flexible.